Synctoy 2.0, A Laptop, A Desktop, And...

OK...I have been using my desktop for years, and just recently acquired my first laptop (it's used, bought from a friend). I have a wireless network in my house (originally set up so my roommates desktop could use the cable internet without a lot of wires involved). I have managed to connect my new laptop to the network at home, no problems there.

I have discovered the joys of scrapbooking in bed ( :banana: ) and at work( :banana::banana: ). I expect to gradually phase out the use of the desktop, but for now it is mostly serving as a backup as it is connected to Mozy. Both of my computers run XP.

I have been creating layouts on the laptop, and have downloaded new digital elements to the laptop. (I had copied all my digital elements from my desktop to my laptop when I first bought it.) So I need to copy the NEW elements from my laptop to the desktop. I also need to move my new album pages from the laptop to the desktop. I have been very selective about which pictures have been copied from the desktop to the laptop, because the laptop only has an 80 GB hard drive. (My desktop has 2 EHDs; a 500 GB, and another smaller one whose size escapes me at the moment...) I have been doing all this transferring via the wireless network at my house. When I click on "My Network Places" on the desktop of the laptop, I see "Shared Documents on Desktop" and "Shared Documents on Laptop".

I have just downloaded SyncToy 2.0. I have read the instructions, and I think I have a general understanding of it. I have not yet started anything. I tend to make things much more complicated than they need to be, so I have decided to just stop and get some advice!!

How do I use Synctoy to get my new layouts and digital elements copied to my desktop? I think I see how to do it, but am highly open to suggestions from experienced users. And, eventually, if I want to move more pics from my desktop to the laptop, do I need SyncToy on the desktop, too?

I think those are my questions for the moment. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

I don't have any answers for you, but I read the other thread about SynchToy 2.0 and, my situtation being similar to yours, I'm thinking I need to do the same thing. I do seem to remember someone saying you need a special cable to do the synch??? Anyway, I'm bumping this up, and will be watching to see what answers you get.

Hmmm...no input from experienced users?

My current line of thinking is this...put 2 new folders in the "Shared Documents on Laptop" in "My Network Places". One folder for layouts that are mostly done, and need to be transferred to my Desktop to get backed up on Mozy. Same thing for new digital elements.

If I get SynchToy on my desktop PC, and set up the left and right folders, the new new layouts and elements will automatically get moved over, right?

So, if I do this right, new stuff on the laptop will automatically get copied into the shared files on the network, but I have to remember to move those files manually from the network onto the desktop PC...and then SynchToy will automatically copy the new stuff into the paired folders...

hmmm...

Archived