A Few Good Books

Reminiscing

Wow! I need to explore these forums way down here more! Lots of interesting topics.

Here are a couple of books I'm finishing up soon. I'm fascinated by history.

A Voyage Long and Strange: On the Trail of Vikings, Conquistadors, Lost Colonists, and Other Adventurers in Early America by Tony Horwitz

and

Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman Behind the Legend by John E. Miller

In the first one, what I like so much, in addition to his detailed descriptions of the explorers' journeys, the author travels the explorers' routes and writes about what his personal experiences in those places.

And of course I'm a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan and have read her books several times. This year I read the series 2 and a half times. First for myself. I had invited my daughters to listen, but they weren't interested at first. Then, when I was almost done, my oldest daughter decided she DID want to hear them and I started all over (while finishing up the series where I was myself). Then, after my oldest and I were almost done, my younger daughter asked me to read them to her! LOL She lost interest in the third book, however.

Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder is awesome because we get to find out what happens after the books she wrote, about her adult life and her daughter Rose's life. The author discusses how much of Wilder's books were real too.

Finally, in another genre, I recently read, in just one day, because its that sort of compelling can't-put-it-down novel Prey by Michael Crichton. Very well researched and written. Much better than Jurassic Park; more believeable. Creepy but not gory (I do not read horror stories.)

Thanks for posting this! Both of those first books sound right in line with something I'd enjoy - I'm going to have to check them out!

The only reading I'm doing lately involves reading to my 7 yo son. ;) And actually, we just finished up a great book set for him - even my husband wanted me to read out loud to him, lol. It was called Tuckets Travels by Gary Paulsen, and it's a collection of five books. All stories involve a young boy named Francis during the time of the Oregon Trail (1847-1849). So, although not for the adult crowd, if anyone's looking for a good book (or set of books) for children, I highly recommend them. There are some situations that I probably wouldn't want to explain to a very young child (scalping, for example) - at least, not the way it was presented in the story - but anywhere from ages 7 to 12 or so (I seem to remember my oldest still reading them when he was about 13). They're a very good read.

I just finished reading a book called "The Various Flavors of Coffee" by Anthony Capella. It was interesting. It's a novel...but it includes romance, adventure, history, politics, and economics....all rolled into one. I picked it up off the library shelf only because it had the word "coffee" in the title, but I really enjoyed reading it.

I just finished reading a book called "The Various Flavors of Coffee" by Anthony Capella. It was interesting. It's a novel...but it includes romance, adventure, history, politics, and economics....all rolled into one. I picked it up off the library shelf only because it had the word "coffee" in the title, but I really enjoyed reading it.

Sounds good: I might have to read that one. Isn't it funny how we sometimes choose books quite by accident and then love reading them.

A walking partner/neighbor recently suggested Robert Whitlow for a good trial lawyer read.

I was NOT DISAPPOINTED... I am halfway thru my third book in a few months' time! I will have to

borrow from her library, because this is the last I have for awhile!

Romance, deception, truth and justice,... all kinds of good variations!

Archived