Purchasing A New Laptop

kidsrgr8

I have an HP Laptop that I have used for years. The screen just went out so I am needing to get a new one.

When I purchased my current laptop, I was not digital scrapbooking. I would love my new machine to be able to handle CS4 (I currently use CS3) and other apps open at the same time.

What specs should I look for? I am not up on all of the computer jargon...ram, memory, etc.

I want to do this right, so I what the BIG DADDY laptop! lol :D

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Hey Lynn! How're doin?

I would recommend at least 4 G RAM. That should handle CS4 and other programs open at the same time. Of course, more RAM is always better.

I got an HP with 4 G RAM and a 17" screen last March. I love it. It weighs quite a bit, but I've traveled with it a couple of times now and it doesn't slow me down. The cute little 10" screen laptops with look very inviting, but I wanted the large screen for scrapbooking.

I think I have a 320 G harddrive on it, but that is plenty since I keep my scrapbooking stuff on an EHD that I can take from my desktop to laptop.

hey lynn!

i suggest 4g as well. if you go anymore than this, youll end up with a 64 bit OS. which means youll need to make sure any programs you plan on running will be ok in 64 bit. (most are)

a quad core (i prefer asus, but intels are good too.)

the least thing id be concerned about is hard drive space. most of us end up using externals anyway dont we, b/c we have so many goodies :)

Check into the new operating windows 7 if your using pc vs mac Most the windows 7 I seen have been coming up with 5-7 gigs memory standard. I just thought I would thriw out that too

I would recommend waiting a few days if you can tolerate it. Windows 7 comes out on October 22. That is just 3 days. It is MUCH better than Vista. (I'm currently running it on my desktop.) To me it would be worth getting the laptop with Win7 pre-installed instead of having to go through the effort of upgrading. That's my 2 cents ;) Hope it helps.

I would recommend waiting a few days if you can tolerate it. Windows 7 comes out on October 22. That is just 3 days. It is MUCH better than Vista. (I'm currently running it on my desktop.) To me it would be worth getting the laptop with Win7 pre-installed instead of having to go through the effort of upgrading. That's my 2 cents ;) Hope it helps.

Oh, yes, we are definitely waiting for the new Windows. I like to have it factory installed. Thanks Sara!

Lynn, I don't know if this will help or not, but I just (about an hour ago) bought a Macbook Pro. It has 500 GB HD and 4 GB Ram. I've just about had it with pcs and so I made the plunge. I hope its worth it, I haven't even used it yet (taking it in Thursday to be set up with all the stuff off my current laptop). I think it really is the big daddy of laptops. I got the 15" screen size. I'm a little nervous about making the change, but it was fun playing with it in the store. About a year ago I got a Dell XPS 1530 and up until a couple of weeks ago I was pretty happy with it. Lately it just freezes up on me pretty quickly and so its no fun anymore.

Archived