Window 7 Is Coming

sarabethp

I just have to celebrate! I just got my email that my copy of Windows 7 is on it's way. I am very excited as my laptop with Vista has given me no end of trouble, all due to Vista itself. I can't wait to be rid of Vista forever.

:party-smiley-048::party-smiley-048::party-smiley-048:

It's here. I am holding Windows 7. It's pretty, it's in a green box and it came with "Special" instructions for those upgrading from Windows XP. LOL! Microsoft knows Vista is full of problems and that those who could stayed with XP.

I already have Win7 RC on my desktop, but am anxious to install it on my laptop which has Vista. I can't do it till later tonight, but will give update with the results.

The troubles with Vista "grow" with time. In other words Vista tends to take up lots of room the more it is run.

As far as the upgrade, I had to pay for mine. I bought my laptop 1 1/2 years ago so I didn't qualify for the free upgrade. I think if you purchased your computer since June 26, 2009 you qualify for a free upgrade. I pre-purchased it and paid a little extra to have it delivered on the day it came out (today.) On my desktop I am running the Windows 7 release candidate (RC). This is the version they release for developers to create drivers and programs to be compatible. At some point in the near future the RC license will expire and I will have to upgrade my desktop to a paid for version. We know this and are planning accordingly.

Microsoft Website for Windows 7

Bobbie - I preordered from Amazon and paid $119. I don't know what the price is now that the preorder is done. Just got notice that mine shipped so I should have it next week. I can't wait! I understand it is a very stable system and I basically hate Vista and it's quirky behavior!

I never had trouble with vista until about three or four weeks ago, now my poor laptop just can't do much and will freeze up completely. I had preordered from amazon while it was on sale too and it shipped yesterday. Since I just got a mac (yep, making the switch), my current LT (about a year old) will go to my DS. So right now, both machines are at the apple store for all my files to be transferred to the mac, we'll scrub the HD of the old one and change to windows 7 and hopefully, Jeremy will have a good computer.

I'm still considering purchasing 7. In one of the ads in the Sunday paper, one of the office stores (I think) is selling a single computer use for $119 but you can get it for three computers for $149. We have two laptops and my desktop so that would be a good savings. I haven't convinced DH to switch yet, but even if I used it on just two machines, it would still be a savings. The thing is I'm trying to get him to go halfsies on it with me. :)

DH read somewhere that you have to remove all your programs on your computer before installing 7. Does anybody know if that is true? I don't have that many programs that I would have to re-install, but I would hate to have to reinstall all my actions and styles in PSE.

Pat, I just got this information from the Microsoft site:

"Upgrading is the most convenient way to get Windows 7 on your computer, because it keeps your files, settings, and programs from Windows Vista in place."

Might be just the incentive you need to go for it ;-)

Since I'm happy with Vista (actually, to be quite honest, I'm happier with the Vista on my newer desktop than I am with my 2 year old laptop!) I probably won't get Windows 7 until the next computer.

I checked my receipt. I ordered from Amazon when they were offering preorder on sale. Got it for $49.99. Whoo Hoo! Score! And its on the way. No more vista.

Good for you Sandi! I didn't even see that price on Amazon or maybe I was sleeping! I know Sam's Club had it for that price and I went back 2 days later and they were sold out! Procrastination isn't a good thing!

We also got 3 liscenses for 149.99 + 4.99 shipping for the DVD. If you are upgrading from Vista to W7 you won't lose anything BUT if you are going from XP to W7 or changing from a 32 bit to 64 bit OS you have to do a full install. Make sure you back up and save EVERYTHING just in case. Mine should be here tomorrow and I can't wait!

Sara,

How did the installation go? Any kinks? Are you loving it?

You ready for the answer?

My laptop, which is my Vista computer, has always had updating issues. Every thing says it is ready, but Vista is throwing a temper tantrum. It refuses to install the upgrade. Since all my files are on my desktop upstairs and backed up to carbonite, we are going to wipe it and start fresh tonight. All my computer friends are saying this is the best option to remove Vista and get Win7 on. If you are upgrading from XP this is your only option per the instructions.

I will say this. It will be worth it. I love Windows 7 on my desktop. It had nothing on it when we installed Win7. Win7 is more stable than Vista and XP. Plus, XP is not going to be supported by Microsoft at some point soon. The only reason they are still offering XP support is because they realized Vista was a flop.

Sandi, I got the same price as you. It was a special for Vista owners who didn't qualify for the free upgrade. It was a short time special. Your grandson will have a nice laptop once it is up and running.

I did a successful computer wipe and Win7 is now running on my laptop. We are downloading drivers and stuff so I haven't had a chance to poke around on it yet. I think my DH is having fun. It is like a brand new computer with nothing on it. Well not nothing as the old files were moved from windows to windows.old so I can just move all my files into the new folders. Then I'll delete windows.old and it will be bye bye Vista. This was done through the installation software so I didn't have to format the drive myself. Much better!

My DH just picked up the family pack (3 licenses) for $149 at Walmart - the only local place he could find it in stock.

It's the basic version, but it didn't sound like we'd use the features on the 2 snazzier versions.

He's going to load it on an XP gaming computer that's acting up. We'll see how it goes.

I checked my receipt. I ordered from Amazon when they were offering preorder on sale. Got it for $49.99. Whoo Hoo! Score! And its on the way. No more vista.

Holy Cow Sandi that is a deal! I wish I'd paid attention and got in on that sale. Maybe I can still find it somewhere. Hmmm, now I'm dreaming of Windows 7. lol

Sara, I'm glad the wipe and install went well. I bet you'll be loving it once you have everything reinstalled! :) Hooray for you! I want to do it to my desktop too!

Archived