• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferZ

JenniferZ

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts
  • Personal Statement:Strong Women: May we know them. May we raise them. May we be them.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

I have some of the bookmark and tag album templates from the boutique here.

My plan is to make some bookmarks and mini albums to give as Christmas gifts. Should I laminate the finished product? If so, how? I've seen laminating pockets, where you slide an item between two sheets and then press it together. I guess it sticks to itself and then you trim the excess. There is also a laminating machine I saw advertised in one of the zillion catalogs we get around the holidays and I was wondering if that might be worth it -- it was around $30.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Jennifer

spring10siggy.png
Button_Designer.pngSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#2 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,247 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

I use a laminating machine. I got mine before you could find one for $30. :D The machine uses heat rather than glue to fuse, and the finished result is more durable. You can get the laminate in different thicknesses too. Both are fine for bookmarks though.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

Scrap10-Blinkie.gif

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#3 scrappinchar

scrappinchar

Rejoice in the Lord always. Phil 4:4

• Members
  • 12,088 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am a Christ follower. I love my DH, my boys, church, scrapping, reading, and our backyard birds.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

I've used a laminating machine that I got at Walmart. I believe it's by Scotch 3M. It uses the heat. I've tried using the self-laminating pages before (not with the machine)...and didn't really like them as much as the heat lamination.

When I was doing a large number of bookmarks as wedding favors, I took them to Staples and had them laminate them for me. Then I cut them out myself.

gallery_9116_358_46999.png

Button_Published.pngSG_LongLive_72_zps19f45c47.gif ShredButton.png

#4 KellyChron

KellyChron

Living La Vida ScrapGirls

• Members
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

My local christian bookstore has a large homeschooling section and they offer laminating for 25 cents a foot... so cheap and I don't have to store a laminating machine. :) That's another option for you.

gallery_6718_356_1715.png I scrap with a MAC2010_MW_Sig.gif
BLINKIES_sgdevotee.gifBLINKIES_NightSCRAP.gif

#5 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,247 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Oh, and I've done the tag albums before, but I didn't laminiate them. We just printed front and back on glossy photo paper, glued the two sides together and cut it out-- punched out the holes and added ribbon. Gosh, don't have a photo of one finished, but htey turned out great. Cathrine and I made them for her friends for Christmas gifts last year.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

Scrap10-Blinkie.gif

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#6 scrappinchar

scrappinchar

Rejoice in the Lord always. Phil 4:4

• Members
  • 12,088 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am a Christ follower. I love my DH, my boys, church, scrapping, reading, and our backyard birds.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

April, do things hold up under handling pretty well? The things, that is, printed on the glossy photo paper.

gallery_9116_358_46999.png

Button_Published.pngSG_LongLive_72_zps19f45c47.gif ShredButton.png

#7 JenniferZ

JenniferZ

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Design Team
  • 4,007 posts
  • Personal Statement:Strong Women: May we know them. May we raise them. May we be them.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

For the stuff you don't laminate, do you use a fixative on top? I was thinking about the tag album and what a challenge it would pose to score and fold if laminated. Though I guess I could cut the tags seperately, laminate them and then connect them with a big ring. So many decisions! And I haven't even started making them yet! :)

spring10siggy.png
Button_Designer.pngSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#8 MLLatscrapgirls

MLLatscrapgirls

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:23 PM

I just wanted to say that I am a total Xyron addict! You can use them to laminate, make magnets, or stickers - lots of fun. Mine are so old I can't remember how much they are but any craft store will have them. I think this would be the fastest and easiest way to laminate a lot of bookmarks. In fact, you have just given me a great idea for stocking stuffers!
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child....
... Forest Witcraft
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image:http://scrapgirls.co...ES_MOM-Past.gif
I am not shopping; I am supporting graphic artists.

#9 MLLatscrapgirls

MLLatscrapgirls

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

Oh, and should probably add, don't forget clear Contact paper! Not always the easiest but gotta be the cheapest.
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child....
... Forest Witcraft
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image:http://scrapgirls.co...ES_MOM-Past.gif
I am not shopping; I am supporting graphic artists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users