Using Picasa For Organizing

DDecker

Go to tools...options...file types.

You can check off png there.

:)

Thanks! Scrapbooking catalogs without pngs just aren't paricularly useful :)! Now I've got them loading in. Its just like Christmas - look at all those neat things that have been hiding in my file!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After installing Picasa you will need to tell the program where to scan for files by going to File>Add Folder to Picasa. Browse to where in your computer you store your files, even if on an EHD and click ok. Leave Picasa open and allow it to scan for images. This may take a while depending on how large your collection is.

post-2816-125737629985_thumb.png

You can also remove files and folders from being scanned by Picasa by going to Folder>Remove from Picasa.

post-2816-12573763302_thumb.png

The next step will be to configure what types of image files you want Picasa to scan for by going to Tools>Options. In the dialogue box on the File Tab make sure .png, .psd and RAW are checked. I suggest unchecking ,bmp, .tif and .gif to avoid getting all kinds of icons and other non-scrap related files.

post-2816-125737638031_thumb.png

You can set Picasa to show your tags with your files by going to View>Thumbnail caption. Also turn on the Tag editing area by clicking on the Tag button at the bottom right, just below the blue bar. To remove a tag click on it in the tag work area and click the red circle with an X that shows to the right of it.

post-2816-125737646063_thumb.png

You can start tagging while Picasa scans. Isuggest you set up some frequently used Quick Tags by clicking the configure button and typing your tags into the boxes, then click OK. You can use these by selecting your files and clicking the button. Select multiple files at once by clicking and holding while dragging over the files, they will have a blue border if they are selected.

To use a Tag to create an Album click Tools>Experimental>Show Tag as Album. It may take a few minutes but when done your Album will show in the Album area. As you add files with tags they will be added to your Album.

post-2816-125737658908_thumb.png

To search an Album select the album and type in your search parameter. I searched for Green in my Paper album and Picasa gave me all papers that contained green. I did not have to tag these as green Picasa is programmed to identify colors.

To search multiple folders and files highlight the Top folder and type in what you are looking for. Picasa searches tags, file names, metadata and descriptions and gives you a list to choose from. I chose Alpha and rather than scanning through all my alphas I wanted to see the Avalon Alpha, I just clicked on the Avalon file and there were all the alpha files, they were not even tagged!

THANK YOU, DEE for this great tut - I am still working with organizing my files in Picassa and you really helped me out a lot! But I am also for the book "Picassa for Dummies" - This dummy sure needs one!

You are always such a great help and it is so great to know that you are working on the same issues that we are! Thanks so much.

Hugs,

Sara

Thank you Dee! I am too tired to play tonight but will tomorrow. Everything is uoloaded to Picasa already - should I delete everything and start over or just organize from where I am?

I'm with Sara - need a Dummies Book!

Thank you Dee!! This is really helpful. I also agree with Sara and Margot about needing a Picasa for Dummies book, or a Picasa class would be nice... Thanks again. :)

Thank you Dee! I am too tired to play tonight but will tomorrow. Everything is uoloaded to Picasa already - should I delete everything and start over or just organize from where I am?

I'm with Sara - need a Dummies Book!

Nope no need to delete anything!

What if this "picassa" book for dummies wasn't a book but a video? I've been contemplating doing one for last 5-6 months, but had a whole bunch of computer issues, health issues, convention etc. Now that this thread has come up is that something that you'd find useful. I find that I use Picassa for a whole bunch of other things besides just finding the scrapbooking stuff. I can't promise anything for at least 2 more weeks, but once the project I'm finished working on is done. I'd consider putting this at the top of my list. Just a thought if there is any interest. I think Dee has given you some great ideas and tips so far to make looking for and searching possible. I have to say I LOVE picassa and it's been my top choice for a long time.

I've been reading this thread with great interest and am on the brink of downloading and trying Picassa. But before I do, I have to ask whether anyone uses Adobe Bridge, which is bundled with Photoshop and Illustrator. That's what I've been using, just organizing like items into folders, then having a separate "Collection Sheets" folder so that I have an alternate way to search.

Has anyone used Bridge, and if so, does it have any advantages? Or is it even a comparable type of program? Are these other options so much better that Bridge is a non-starter? :-)

What if this "picassa" book for dummies wasn't a book but a video? I've been contemplating doing one for last 5-6 months, but had a whole bunch of computer issues, health issues, convention etc. Now that this thread has come up is that something that you'd find useful. I find that I use Picassa for a whole bunch of other things besides just finding the scrapbooking stuff. I can't promise anything for at least 2 more weeks, but once the project I'm finished working on is done. I'd consider putting this at the top of my list. Just a thought if there is any interest. I think Dee has given you some great ideas and tips so far to make looking for and searching possible. I have to say I LOVE picassa and it's been my top choice for a long time.

Shalee - I would love to be among those who "LOVE" Picasa! Video is a good idea but I am a visual learner and need something to refer to while I am working. Can you work in some kind of a PDF to use along with for referencing on main points?

Any movies I create always have an accompanying ebook with the video script and screenshots so you can reference it later. Looks like Dee and I will be working together to bring you something that will make everyone happy. But like I said it will be at last 2 weeks before I can start. So look through what Dee has here to give you a good start and we'll work as fast we can! :)

I'm all for the idea of a video and e-book. I just recently started using Picasa, and though it has been a little difficult because I've only used PSE Organizer in the past, I'm finding that every time I use Picasa I like it a little bit more. Video and e-book is a great idea!! :)

Thank you Dee!! This is really helpful. I also agree with Sara and Margot about needing a Picasa for Dummies book, or a Picasa class would be nice... Thanks again. :)

A Picasa class would be awesome! And I know just the person to teach it! Tee-Hee - Would you be willing, Miss Dee?

After installing Picasa you will need to tell the program where to scan for files by going to File>Add Folder to Picasa. Browse to where in your computer you store your files, even if on an EHD and click ok. Leave Picasa open and allow it to scan for images. This may take a while depending on how large your collection is.

You can also remove files and folders from being scanned by Picasa by going to Folder>Remove from Picasa.

The next step will be to configure what types of image files you want Picasa to scan for by going to Tools>Options. In the dialogue box on the File Tab make sure .png, .psd and RAW are checked. I suggest unchecking ,bmp, .tif and .gif to avoid getting all kinds of icons and other non-scrap related files.

You can set Picasa to show your tags with your files by going to View>Thumbnail caption. Also turn on the Tag editing area by clicking on the Tag button at the bottom right, just below the blue bar. To remove a tag click on it in the tag work area and click the red circle with an X that shows to the right of it.

You can start tagging while Picasa scans. Isuggest you set up some frequently used Quick Tags by clicking the configure button and typing your tags into the boxes, then click OK. You can use these by selecting your files and clicking the button. Select multiple files at once by clicking and holding while dragging over the files, they will have a blue border if they are selected.

To use a Tag to create an Album click Tools>Experimental>Show Tag as Album. It may take a few minutes but when done your Album will show in the Album area. As you add files with tags they will be added to your Album.

To search an Album select the album and type in your search parameter. I searched for Green in my Paper album and Picasa gave me all papers that contained green. I did not have to tag these as green Picasa is programmed to identify colors.

To search multiple folders and files highlight the Top folder and type in what you are looking for. Picasa searches tags, file names, metadata and descriptions and gives you a list to choose from. I chose Alpha and rather than scanning through all my alphas I wanted to see the Avalon Alpha, I just clicked on the Avalon file and there were all the alpha files, they were not even tagged!

How do I download these? And since they are PNG's , how do I view them? Will they be this tiny when I view them? Sorry....having some short-term memory loss big time!

sorry.gif I'm feeling pretty dumb, so please bear with me. I've had some bad days.

I have been to the knee surgeon's office, Physical Therapy, been in severe pain, and fighting with the disability insurance who hasn't approved my extension of my disability. And I FINALLY found out why....my thyroid doc, who I'm on disability for (it hasn't been changed over to my knee yet till the thyroid doc releases me). Well they wouldn't approve the extension for the thyroid because the docs notes reflected that I was to stay on disability because I was "still tired" from the surgery. I was blown away. How incompetent! I will probably lose at least 3 weeks of back disability now too. It's in the process of being changed to my knee surgeon till after my surgery in January, as there is nothing more the knee doc can do till then. I'm still on narcotic painkillers and still can't drive. So it will be another couple of weeks till I get any checks from them.

And I will never take for granted again being able to walk to the car, get in and drive to the store or anywhere again. It's hard making sure I have a ride for everyplace I need to go. BUT I am thankful that I have friends and some family to take me.

is there a way i can just print out dee's mb post...not the whole thread?? would love to have it printed to read and follow along...for some things i am just old school..LOL

A Picasa class would be awesome! And I know just the person to teach it! Tee-Hee - Would you be willing, Miss Dee?

excellent idea sara...hope dee thinks so too!

sounds like a great idea.... but i also like when there is a pdf to follow along when you arent watching the video

OK - here is what I know. I was a die hard ACDSee user, complete with tags. I had it down to a system; download the collection, and tag it right away. And cross tag also. I had tags coming out of my ears. Well, at the convention, Ro sang the praises of Picasa. Ro's commented that your operating system is going to be faster at finding things than anything, and also that Google people really have the search thing down. So I tried it,and I am sold.

For some of the questions/concerns above, here are some suggestions:

Use Parenthesis for searching - that will narrow your search. For instance, if you want only black papers from Mandy, type in "MST" "Black" "paper". Before you can finish typing you will have all of Mandy's black papers at your fingertips.

One other thing I discovered is that it seems to search to the top level of what you have highlighted over on the left hand side. I keep it on "MyScrapbookLibrary" for all my searches then it finds everything. It also seems to search chronologically by origination date - not date that it was put on your computer necessarily. There may be a way to change that, but I haven't worked that hard to find it just yet.

I Seeing all my layouts doesn't bother me. The cool thing is, if you put your data into the meta data file, if you look closely when your LO's show up, all your metadata is listed right below your layout. If you need to know what you used in a layout, that is a much easier way to find out as opposed to opening your LO in Photoshop to read the metadate. I love this feature.

If I want brads - I type in "Brad" - they all show up. Brown paper? I type in "Bro" and before I can finish typing its on my screen. I have found this to be way more efficient than ACDSee, and believe me, I did not want to leave ACDSee. But, Picasa brings things up in an instant. ACDSee has to sit and think - for a while.

For those of you who are reluctant - give it a chance. For me, finding Picasa alone was worth the trip to SLC!

amy,

i am still an acdsee girl but would love to be rid of the addiction... one thing i dont see picasa doing or maybe you can explain...if i type in brad for example i get each file at a time..in acdsee i would see all the brads on a page and then can see them together which helps me to compare, for example, the size or color i was looking for..with picasa i would have to keep scrolling down and wont see them all at once...is this true? or am i doing something wrong? my acdsee isnt slow to load up... so speed isnt the problem...i also like to just click control E and the item opens in photoshop...is there any shortcut with picasa? thanks for any info amy...since you know acdsee and picasa i would love to hear from you

OK - here is what I know. I was a die hard ACDSee user, complete with tags. I had it down to a system; download the collection, and tag it right away. And cross tag also. I had tags coming out of my ears. Well, at the convention, Ro sang the praises of Picasa. Ro's commented that your operating system is going to be faster at finding things than anything, and also that Google people really have the search thing down. So I tried it,and I am sold.

For some of the questions/concerns above, here are some suggestions:

Use Parenthesis for searching - that will narrow your search. For instance, if you want only black papers from Mandy, type in "MST" "Black" "paper". Before you can finish typing you will have all of Mandy's black papers at your fingertips.

One other thing I discovered is that it seems to search to the top level of what you have highlighted over on the left hand side. I keep it on "MyScrapbookLibrary" for all my searches then it finds everything. It also seems to search chronologically by origination date - not date that it was put on your computer necessarily. There may be a way to change that, but I haven't worked that hard to find it just yet.

I Seeing all my layouts doesn't bother me. The cool thing is, if you put your data into the meta data file, if you look closely when your LO's show up, all your metadata is listed right below your layout. If you need to know what you used in a layout, that is a much easier way to find out as opposed to opening your LO in Photoshop to read the metadate. I love this feature.

If I want brads - I type in "Brad" - they all show up. Brown paper? I type in "Bro" and before I can finish typing its on my screen. I have found this to be way more efficient than ACDSee, and believe me, I did not want to leave ACDSee. But, Picasa brings things up in an instant. ACDSee has to sit and think - for a while.

For those of you who are reluctant - give it a chance. For me, finding Picasa alone was worth the trip to SLC!

i still dont get it...if i type in brad i get brad brads bradley and all kinds of lo show up that i prob used brads in...and everything is all over the place..so many different folders... i just dont see how to work this

is there a way i can just print out dee's mb post...not the whole thread?? would love to have it printed to read and follow along...for some things i am just old school..LOL

You can highlight, copy and paste into a notepad or word processor document, then print out.

When I want to refer to two things on the computer, though, I just have them both open side by side, by resizing the windows.

is there any way to disable the face recognition thing...i find it very distracting to see all those photos and many of them arent even correctly identified...also if i search something sometimes a face appears as the search and how a face and brad are the same is beyond my understanding???LOL

i am still struggling to understand how to organize and search with picasa but am hoping to keep learning more on this mb or that there will be a class...cause it is very confusing to me still

We are going to have a PDF that can be printed out to follow along with screen shots.

I just did a search for BRAD and got brads along with my nephew BRADen. To view just your BRAD's or any other tag set it as an album. Tools>Experemental>ShowTagAsAlbum. The album will show up under the Album Tab on the Left side of Picasa. All you need to do is click on the Album and they show up all on one page. I think this will help you Bobbi. Be patient though it can take a while for Picasa to find all your BRAD's and create the album.

I'm not sure if facial recognition can be turned off but will look into it.

is there any way to disable the face recognition thing...i find it very distracting to see all those photos and many of them arent even correctly identified...also if i search something sometimes a face appears as the search and how a face and brad are the same is beyond my understanding???LOL

i am still struggling to understand how to organize and search with picasa but am hoping to keep learning more on this mb or that there will be a class...cause it is very confusing to me still

There does not currently seem to be a way to turn off face recognition, however you can remove any files or folders that contain pictures from being scanned by Picasa if you want to use it exclusivly for organizing your scrap book supplies.

Find the file or folder in the file tree on the left side of Picasa and go to Folder>Remove from Picasa. Do this with any files or folders you don't want Picasa to look in.

thanks dee...i figured i could do that but sometimes i also use it for searching for photos...which btw i use acdsee for and like... but i am trying to learn more about picasa but some of the things i just cant understand what to do..or in the case of the faces i find it just annoying... i am going to keep following this mb in the hopes that a lightbulb goes off for me and i get it

what do you do if you made an album for brads... and then want to add something to the album?

The next time you tag a brad it is automatically added to the album, no need to do anything extra.

If you rely totally on Picasa, what do you do when you don't have internet access or very slow internet? Wouldn't ACDSee be better in those cases? I do a fair amount of scrapbooking while waiting for my mother in non internet places. I am totally lost without my organization. I was totally up to date with my tagging and lost it all.

In my case what would be the best organization method in addition to Picasa? Will Picasa recognize my tagging with another organizational program?

margot, i am not sure that picasa has to do with the internet...though it is from google..i think it works when the internet isnt connected? but i dont know since i have wireless modem i think it always goes on...someone hopefully will know that

Archived