Using Picasa For Organizing

DDecker

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you rely totally on Picasa, what do you do when you don't have internet access or very slow internet? Wouldn't ACDSee be better in those cases? I do a fair amount of scrapbooking while waiting for my mother in non internet places. I am totally lost without my organization. I was totally up to date with my tagging and lost it all.

In my case what would be the best organization method in addition to Picasa? Will Picasa recognize my tagging with another organizational program?

Picasa is a program you download to your computer and it is not dependent on the internet. If you are off line it will work like always.

how do you undo a tag?

In the tag work space if you hover onver a tag a little red dot with an X appears, click the X

also on the left side where you see all the folders mine arent in alphabetical order? what ups with that? is there something to change to get them alpahbetized?

View>Folder View>Sort by name

I need to go get ready to leave but keep the questions coming, we will refer to this thread while working on the project.

also on the left side where you see all the folders mine arent in alphabetical order? what ups with that? is there something to change to get them alpahbetized?

View>Folder View>Sort by name

ahhhhh thank you that was easy!

I need to go get ready to leave but keep the questions coming, we will refer to this thread while working on the project.

thanks dee... and this is a perfect example of why sg is the best...you gals are all always so helpful and everyone works as a team...if only the rest of the world could learn from sg!

ok...i am beginning to get the hang of it...can someone let me know if this makes sense

i go to the quick tags and type the name of the tag...then i control click on the items for that tag.... then i go to tools..experimental ... show tag as album and then every time after that that i click on that tag it will go to the album...to search i just go to the album i have created... see the albums on the left side...

is that sort of it???

and if you dont tag you can search up on the top but the search will bring up other things.... too...so that is why i think i am better off with tagging so i can see everything at once

now if i do all this is this saved somehow???? what if your computer crashes? or picasa crashes? or you get a new computer? or upgrades to picasa or to windows? how does that carry over...

does this work only with windows? or can work on mac too?

thanks

If you rely totally on Picasa, what do you do when you don't have internet access or very slow internet? Wouldn't ACDSee be better in those cases? I do a fair amount of scrapbooking while waiting for my mother in non internet places. I am totally lost without my organization. I was totally up to date with my tagging and lost it all.

In my case what would be the best organization method in addition to Picasa? Will Picasa recognize my tagging with another organizational program?

Picasa is a program you download to your computer and it is not dependent on the internet. If you are off line it will work like always.

Thanks Dee! I can proceed to learn about Picasa! Can't wait for you video and PDF.

wondering do you tag the preview sheets of everything...like for ss papers...i am tagging just the preview in an album call sspapers

for the brushes and styles same thing...just tagging preview sheet

sorry for all the questions...i am figuring some of it out...

but here are a few more questions

if you move a folder in windows do the tags stay with it in picasa? so when i get a collection i usually put it in a folder i call sg new...so i use it...then after i have used it i move it to my sg scrapbooking kits folder.... so what would happen with moving things that i have tagged?

Has anyone searched google for a Picasa manual? I would bet there is one on there - think I will go and look - but think that Dee's explanations are much more user friendly than any manual is going to be.

Dee, in all the spare time you have (LOL) why don't you write a manual for us? You are doing a great job of answering questions and seem to be very knowledgeable about it all - maybe you could even publish it? You know, that "spare time" when people like me are not emailing you for help with their profiles and stuff? ROFL

Sara

I found a free PDF user manual through Google but don't know if I'm allowed to post it, or even how to. I don't want to get in trouble here.

I was wondering a few things too:

Is there a way to store the catalog database somewhere other than Picasa's default? (The thumbnail and tag information, etc.)

Is there an easy way to open files directly from Picasa to Photoshop? I've tried using the thing where you right-click and "Open with Photoshop", but it doesn't work for me.

Thanks! So excited!

Has anyone searched google for a Picasa manual? I would bet there is one on there - think I will go and look - but think that Dee's explanations are much more user friendly than any manual is going to be.

Dee, in all the spare time you have (LOL) why don't you write a manual for us? You are doing a great job of answering questions and seem to be very knowledgeable about it all - maybe you could even publish it? You know, that "spare time" when people like me are not emailing you for help with their profiles and stuff? ROFL

Sara

Shalae is going to create a series of video tutorials and I will be doing the accompaning eBook over the next few weeks. Shalae has a progect to finish up next week first. I am compiling all the questions and ideas together for when we get started.

I had asked about how to bring up the column on the right hand side that deals with tagging. I don't have that and can't figure out how to get it up. I've looked and looked and tried many things, no luck. I've tagged all my things via the Ctrl T method. It worked but, I'm thinking that this would have helped me a bit in that process! Please, anyone know??

Sara

Shalae is going to create a series of video tutorials and I will be doing the accompaning eBook over the next few weeks. Shalae has a progect to finish up next week first. I am compiling all the questions and ideas together for when we get started.

thats great dee...really looking forward to that in the boutique... maybe we can get some advance sales going here on this mb..bet lots are interested

in order to know if i would be able to use picasa i would just like to know the answer to the data info..how is it stored? what if you get another computer? or for me, with all my sg stuff and photos on ehd if i go btw my LTand DT using the ehd will the tagging and albums be there to use no matter what computer i am on ? if my computer crashes where is the data? how can i transfer it to new computer or ehd? i just want to understand if this is all possible before i would be able to switch to this organizing system...it all would be helpful to know...thanks... so much dee... and shalae too....

I had asked about how to bring up the column on the right hand side that deals with tagging. I don't have that and can't figure out how to get it up. I've looked and looked and tried many things, no luck. I've tagged all my things via the Ctrl T method. It worked but, I'm thinking that this would have helped me a bit in that process! Please, anyone know??

To toggle on the Tag Work Space there is a TAG button at the bottom right corner beside People & Places buttons.

Sara

thats great dee...really looking forward to that in the boutique... maybe we can get some advance sales going here on this mb..bet lots are interested

in order to know if i would be able to use picasa i would just like to know the answer to the data info..how is it stored? what if you get another computer? or for me, with all my sg stuff and photos on ehd if i go btw my LTand DT using the ehd will the tagging and albums be there to use no matter what computer i am on ? if my computer crashes where is the data? how can i transfer it to new computer or ehd? i just want to understand if this is all possible before i would be able to switch to this organizing system...it all would be helpful to know...thanks... so much dee... and shalae too....

Some things are going to take a bit of work to figure out. How and where the files are stored for example. Please remember Shalae and I are also just Picasa users. We will need to figure some stuff out.

What I DO know is that Picasa NEVER alters an original file, it saves any edits with the image, in a hidden file. I store all my files and pictures on a seperate drive than my programs. I just upgraded to W7 from Vista. All my tags and info were still there when I reopened Picasa after the upgrade.

Sara

so it sounds like if i use my ehd on any computer that has picasa it should have all my tags and albums...also if i tag or put something in an album and then move it or rename the folder it is still tagged and in the album? i am going to test that out to see .... this is all good...

Some things are going to take a bit of work to figure out. How and where the files are stored for example. Please remember Shalae and I are also just Picasa users. We will need to figure some stuff out.

What I DO know is that Picasa NEVER alters an original file, it saves any edits with the image, in a hidden file. I store all my files and pictures on a seperate drive than my programs. I just upgraded to W7 from Vista. All my tags and info were still there when I reopened Picasa after the upgrade.

To toggle on the Tag Work Space there is a TAG button at the bottom right corner beside People & Places buttons.

That is also the problem, I have the slider but not people, places, or tag button, I'm missing all that! Where would I bring those icons up?

I was wondering a few things too:

Is there a way to store the catalog database somewhere other than Picasa's default? (The thumbnail and tag information, etc.)

Is there an easy way to open files directly from Picasa to Photoshop? I've tried using the thing where you right-click and "Open with Photoshop", but it doesn't work for me.

Thanks! So excited!

You should be able to drag and drop, Heidi.

That is also the problem, I have the slider but not people, places, or tag button, I'm missing all that! Where would I bring those icons up?

OK, I finally got it! A few days ago I even clicked on the update Picasa and was told that there were no updates. But, I was running Picasa 3 not 3.5 so now I have all the buttons and the Tagging window! Whew! Still, like my Picasa! ;)

Archived