Using Picasa For Organizing

DDecker

Hmmmm...drag and drop didn't work for me. :(

What version do you have? 3 or 3.5, it works for me now! I just found out that it likes to move things from the sides not going through the 'top' of Picasa to PSE...Hope that made sense! :D

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, drag and drop didn't work for me the first few times I tried it either. I'm using CS4 with Windows XP. Let me see if there's a Picasa update... I thought I had just downloaded the most recent version, but maybe not.

Just checked. Everything seems to be updated, but I still can't get the drag and drop to work. :(

Hmmmm...drag and drop didn't work for me. sad.gif

What version do you have? 3 or 3.5, it works for me now! I just found out that it likes to move things from the sides not going through the 'top' of Picasa to PSE...Hope that made sense! biggrin.gif

Yes when you drag and drop drag to the side not the top or bottom. And drag slowly! LOL

I am finding that particular things don't show up in my Picasa. I must be doing something wrong. I have it set to look in my EHD for my pictures and my scrapbook folders. I have noticed lately that some push pins in my From the Desk Of and A Trip Across Europe don't show up. Other embellishments from those kits are in there and the pins are in my embellishment folder. I have even gone to those folders and tried to add the file. They still aren't showing up.

I hope I explained that OK.

Any ideas?

Yes we are still learning too as Dee said. I have never been able to do the drag and drop method, or open multiple files at once until someone mentioned dragging it to the side. Yahoo it worked! That makes my life so much better. So I'm still learning too! LOL.

As for how Picassa keeps this information and things. I'm not sure. I know that it puts some sort of file thing in the folders, which might be hidden unless you've chosen the option to show hidden files on your computer. I do know that recently my husband had to completely reinstall windows and all of my programs again and I thought it would have to start over going through and checking the computer for all your files, but I didn't. I opened it up and everything was already there. I'm pretty sure when I got my brand new computer too and put in the my old drives, that when it did the search it already identified the ones that had been previously search and just updated all the changes, moves or new files. (But I could be totally off on this as I wasn't paying close attention to see.) I think as long as you never delete the picassa file that it places in the folder, then it will always recognize it. This is something to research into.

When you move files around on your computer to different folders, it takes note of where it's been moved and will update it as long as that folder has been checked up update continually and not just once. I'm pretty sure it still keeps all that tag info etc.

As Dee said, we are still learning as we go, and as we find a new fun tool to play with and use. :) Keep the questions coming. That helps us know what you need help with, what you need to understand etc.

I think that category includes needing to know everything! Think I am going to play with it today and do some moving around tagging and putting things in the places they should have been put in the first place - when I download files from SG they automatically go to a folder named "downloads' and there are soooooo many - have to go through and just move them and re-do everything so I am loving these hints. Thank you all - wish I had known some of this when I first got Picasa - would have saved me many hours of doing it all wrong!

What I want to know is how I can see EVERYTHING all together, instead of in separate file "clumps." I just want to do a search, and everything pops up - and honestly, I don't want to see 3 from one file, one from the next file, etc.

Any ideas?

What I want to know is how I can see EVERYTHING all together, instead of in separate file "clumps." I just want to do a search, and everything pops up - and honestly, I don't want to see 3 from one file, one from the next file, etc.

Any ideas?

Have you tried to create any albums yet? I have created a few, paper, templates, etc and when I click the album they are all together NOT seperated by file or anything else. The only way to see if this will work for you is to create an album and see if you like it.

Dh is driving us 2 Burlington vt so I am reading and following all the very good info I have started to make albums cause I also need to see every thing together like I do in acdsee so this will take some time to tag but may b worth it but am interested on what albums people r making so far I have done red paper yellow paper neutral paper striped paper templates as scrapsimple paper alpha brush dynamic brush

this is not too hard to do but I will need lots of albums and want to see if things can be in multiple albums which I think u can do. Also I think it is good to know that the info stays w the item so u can use picasa on any computer w your stuff on an ehd. I am going to try my ehd w my LT

sorry 4 any typos here doing this on phone while dh drives. Love reading all the questionable and comments to help figure this all out

btw just a thought has anyone done a google search using picasa to organize scrapbook stuff

curius what would find

Thank you Dee! I am too tired to play tonight but will tomorrow. Everything is uoloaded to Picasa already - should I delete everything and start over or just organize from where I am?

I'm with Sara - need a Dummies Book!

Nope no need to delete anything!

Sorry I missed so many posts - I missed a day or two and there is all this new info! Wow!

I'd like to add that there is no need to delete anything. Think of Picasa as a search engine - Picasa is finding whatever you put on your computer. You aren't putting stuff into picasa.

Any ideas?

Joann, in order to see everything together, type the search criteria and then hit ENTER. For example, type "brad" then hit the enter button. It will only show the brads in their separate folders until you hit enter.

You can also type the search criteria and look to the left you will see under ALBUMS ("search results for "brad") and click on that. It will then show all of the brads together.

Hope this helps! I LOVE PICASA!

I don't know if this was already posted or not, but you CAN turn off the face recognition feature:

Name tags are enabled by default in Picasa. You can toggle name tags on and off by following these steps:

1. In Picasa, click Tools > Options (PC) or Picasa > Preferences (Mac).

2. Click the Face Detection tab.

3. Toggle the box next to 'Enable Face Detection.'

4. Click OK.

Also (Ctrl+Shift+O) is an alternative way to open one or multiple files in 'an editor' - which for me, opens in photoshop.

That is good to know - cause my granddaughter's name is Sara and so is mine and I get both of us when i use the face recognition. This has been a very valuable thread for me - I have learned a lot that I did not know.

Dh is driving us 2 Burlington vt so I am reading and following all the very good info I have started to make albums cause I also need to see every thing together like I do in acdsee so this will take some time to tag but may b worth it but am interested on what albums people r making so far I have done red paper yellow paper neutral paper striped paper templates as scrapsimple paper alpha brush dynamic brush

this is not too hard to do but I will need lots of albums and want to see if things can be in multiple albums which I think u can do. Also I think it is good to know that the info stays w the item so u can use picasa on any computer w your stuff on an ehd. I am going to try my ehd w my LT

sorry 4 any typos here doing this on phone while dh drives. Love reading all the questionable and comments to help figure this all out

btw just a thought has anyone done a google search using picasa to organize scrapbook stuff

curius what would find

With Picasa's ability to search by color I only created one paper album. Every time I add a paper tag to a new product Picasa knows and adds it to the Album. When I want to search for a color I just click the album to activate it and type the color into the search bar.

You just have to write that book, Dee - it appears that you know Picasa well and have given me so much help! I have struggled with this app for so long, but am catching on to it now, thank to you. Puh-leeze write a manual that we can all understand like the tips you have given us here!

curius what would find

With Picasa's ability to search by color I only created one paper album. Every time I add a paper tag to a new product Picasa knows and adds it to the Album. When I want to search for a color I just click the album to activate it and type the color into the search bar.

thats a great idea dee.... does it search by the color...or by the name that is in it...like if it says aqua and you search blue it wont come up? if you search blue can the aqua paper come up ? if yu search green would it come up also? in other words how does it read the colors, by its name or by the actual color and how about variations of colors.... this is cool...i would rather just have an album for paper then you can tag them quicker..

I don't know if this was already posted or not, but you CAN turn off the face recognition feature:

Name tags are enabled by default in Picasa. You can toggle name tags on and off by following these steps:

1. In Picasa, click Tools > Options (PC) or Picasa > Preferences (Mac).

2. Click the Face Detection tab.

3. Toggle the box next to 'Enable Face Detection.'

4. Click OK.

Also (Ctrl+Shift+O) is an alternative way to open one or multiple files in 'an editor' - which for me, opens in photoshop.

i am not home too try this but thank you for posting this...i had been wanting to know how to get rid of the face recognition cause i find it very annoying and would love to not have this feature...thanks i will try it when i get home

curius what would find

thats a great idea dee.... does it search by the color...or by the name that is in it...like if it says aqua and you search blue it wont come up? if you search blue can the aqua paper come up ? if yu search green would it come up also? in other words how does it read the colors, by its name or by the actual color and how about variations of colors.... this is cool...i would rather just have an album for paper then you can tag them quicker..

I have not been able to figure out HOW Picasa searches by color but I do know the color does NOT have to be part of the file name. I Searched for Blue, Green, Aqua and teal. Some papers came up every time and some not as many. And multi color papers are included so if a paper had Blue, green, aqua or teal ANY where it came up.

You just have to write that book, Dee - it appears that you know Picasa well and have given me so much help! I have struggled with this app for so long, but am catching on to it now, thank to you. Puh-leeze write a manual that we can all understand like the tips you have given us here!

Working on it now Sara.

curius what would find

If you want both colors, type in "blue" and "aqua". If you use the quotation marks they will both show up.

Any ideas?

Joann, in order to see everything together, type the search criteria and then hit ENTER. For example, type "brad" then hit the enter button. It will only show the brads in their separate folders until you hit enter.

You can also type the search criteria and look to the left you will see under ALBUMS ("search results for "brad") and click on that. It will then show all of the brads together.

Hope this helps! I LOVE PICASA!

This is so cool!!! I love that I can hit enter and see everything like that. Great to know!!

I am finding that particular things don't show up in my Picasa. I must be doing something wrong. I have it set to look in my EHD for my pictures and my scrapbook folders. I have noticed lately that some push pins in my From the Desk Of and A Trip Across Europe don't show up. Other embellishments from those kits are in there and the pins are in my embellishment folder. I have even gone to those folders and tried to add the file. They still aren't showing up.

I hope I explained that OK.

Any ideas?

You need to go under View and check Small Pictures.

What version do you have? 3 or 3.5, it works for me now! I just found out that it likes to move things from the sides not going through the 'top' of Picasa to PSE...Hope that made sense! biggrin.gif

Yes when you drag and drop drag to the side not the top or bottom. And drag slowly! LOL

Also, you have to drag and drop from the library, not when you have something open with the larger image. Make sense?

Also, you have to drag and drop from the library, not when you have something open with the larger image. Make sense?

It sure does, found that out yesterday myself!

Archived