Using Picasa For Organizing

DDecker

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ro shared this organizing style in her 15 Things You NEED to Know to Become a GREAT Digital Scrapbooker (FREE Starter eBook).

I no longer break down by color as Picasa has color recognition as part of its programing.

• 0_Newly Download Files to Unzip

• Alphas

• Black Grey

• Brown Tan

• Green Blue

• Metals

• Multi

• Peach Orange

• Red Pink Purple

• ScrapSimple

• Yellow White

Backgrounds

• Black Grey

• Blue

• Green

• Multi

• Orange Peach Rust

• Pink

• Purple

• Red

• Tan Brown

• White

• Yellow Gold

• Cards and Crafts

• Embellishments

• AYO (Assemble Your Own)

• Designs Shapes Cute Stuff

• Doodles

• Envelopes Folders

• Fasteners Eyelets Buttons and More

• Flowers

• Frames

• Notebook Paper Journaling Things

• Picture Corners

• Ribbons Bows Tassels Borders

• Stitches

• Tags Tabs Bookplates Etc

• Words Titles Quotes

• Assemble Your Own

• Templates

• Alpha Templates

• Craft Templates

• Embellishment Templates

• Layout Templates

• Paper Templates

• Card Templates

• Photo Templates

• WordArt Templates

• Transparencies

• Instructions

My additional list of tags include:

Water

Wedding

Kids

office supply - clips, brads, fasteners, tags, tabs, folders

sewing - pins, thread, stitches, buttons, ribbon, string

sports -

seasons - Fall, winter, summer, spring

holidays - Easter, Christmas, 4th

Americana

Words - Word art, alphas, letters, quotes, symbols

Ro shared this organizing style in her 15 Things You NEED to Know to Become a GREAT Digital Scrapbooker (FREE Starter eBook).

I no longer break down by color as Picasa has color recognition as part of its programing.

• 0_Newly Download Files to Unzip

• Alphas

• Black Grey

• Brown Tan

• Green Blue

• Metals

• Multi

• Peach Orange

• Red Pink Purple

• ScrapSimple

• Yellow White

Backgrounds

• Black Grey

• Blue

• Green

• Multi

• Orange Peach Rust

• Pink

• Purple

• Red

• Tan Brown

• White

• Yellow Gold

• Cards and Crafts

• Embellishments

• AYO (Assemble Your Own)

• Designs Shapes Cute Stuff

• Doodles

• Envelopes Folders

• Fasteners Eyelets Buttons and More

• Flowers

• Frames

• Notebook Paper Journaling Things

• Picture Corners

• Ribbons Bows Tassels Borders

• Stitches

• Tags Tabs Bookplates Etc

• Words Titles Quotes

• Assemble Your Own

• Templates

• Alpha Templates

• Craft Templates

• Embellishment Templates

• Layout Templates

• Paper Templates

• Card Templates

• Photo Templates

• WordArt Templates

• Transparencies

• Instructions

My additional list of tags include:

Water

Wedding

Kids

office supply - clips, brads, fasteners, tags, tabs, folders

sewing - pins, thread, stitches, buttons, ribbon, string

sports -

seasons - Fall, winter, summer, spring

holidays - Easter, Christmas, 4th

Americana

Words - Word art, alphas, letters, quotes, symbols

How many albums do you make Dee? Are each of these albums also?

Right now I only have four albums, Papers, Embellishments, Alphas and Word art. I search by tag within each album.

Right now I only have four albums, Papers, Embellishments, Alphas and Word art. I search by tag within each album.

so after tagging and putting things in these albums... then you just pick that album and then go to the search and for example if you picked embellishments...you do a search for buttons? or brads? and if they have that in their name from sg then it will turn up? is that it?

am away ... and tomorrow i babysit dgs ... but if he naps i am going to try to test this out...thanks..

in order for me to use picasa for organizing i would like to use it btw two computers...my DT and my LT...i have all my items on my ehd...photos and scrapping stuff.... i had begun a little organizing on my DT and had made a few albums... and had tagged some things....now i am on my LT and though picasa can see all my things from my ehd i dont see any of the albums i had made using picasa when using my DT..... does this made any sense? how would this work if you wanted to use picasa with more than one computer...say it aint so... i would love to use picasa and be able to use more than one computer...hope someone knows about this

REALLY? I must download the newest version.

in order for me to use picasa for organizing i would like to use it btw two computers...my DT and my LT...i have all my items on my ehd...photos and scrapping stuff.... i had begun a little organizing on my DT and had made a few albums... and had tagged some things....now i am on my LT and though picasa can see all my things from my ehd i dont see any of the albums i had made using picasa when using my DT..... does this made any sense? how would this work if you wanted to use picasa with more than one computer...say it aint so... i would love to use picasa and be able to use more than one computer...hope someone knows about this

I am pretty sure that if you tag files on your ehd and create albums in Picasa with your DT you will also need to create those albums in Picasa on your LT. Picasa runs independently on each machine but SHOULD see any TAGs you have created with either on the EHD. I will try it with my EHD and see what happens.

well that is too bad dee... is there any way to copy the album or do you have to go thru and retag everything to put in the album on your LT if you had already done on your DT...is there any quick way to duplicate the album?

Like I said your TAGS will be there you just have to recreate the album. Search for the TAGS right click and choose Add to Album, type in the album name click ok. It may take a minute but should not be too bad. Or you can do the Create Layout from Tag way under Experimental but that only works sometimes.

Like I said your TAGS will be there you just have to recreate the album. Search for the TAGS right click and choose Add to Album, type in the album name click ok. It may take a minute but should not be too bad. Or you can do the Create Layout from Tag way under Experimental but that only works sometimes.

ok great didnt realize it wasnt that hard to do..thanks for letting me know the how to

I don't get a check mark either but when I change to date or size I can see files move around so I think it is working.

I don't get a check mark either but when I change to date or size I can see files move around so I think it is working.

nothing happens with mine... so that is why i was wondering about the check mark... oh dear

Bless you Shalae and Dee! Please sign me up immediately lol!

Great questions and answers - I was wondering how to get, say, all of a kit at one time without one folder for each thing - can't wait to go play with Picasa

that is a great question. looking forward to seeing the answer

Bless you Shalae and Dee! Please sign me up immediately lol!

Great questions and answers - I was wondering how to get, say, all of a kit at one time without one folder for each thing - can't wait to go play with Picasa

that is a great question. looking forward to seeing the answer

Me too!

OK, I'd been considering Picasa since Lynn (kidsrgr8) and I had a scrapping day together and she highly recommended it. I downloaded 3.5 yesterday because Sunday, I managed to lose my catalogs in PSE Organizer. When I had a computer problem in March, my son put the old OS on a separate D partition and then re-installed Windows on a clean C drive. I had not had to access that D partition since then so I figured it was safe to delete it. Guess what? PSE was using that partition for my catalogs. Grrrr. Oh well. I'm looking forward to learning Picasa. I've read through the whole thread and picked up a few tips and I'll be playing around and seeing what I can figure out on my own. I'm looking forward to Dee and Shalae's project too!

Thought of a question. I think someone made mention of this but I'm not sure I understand. I read in the Picasa help that I can move folders within Picasa and it will move them on my hard drive. I've done that and it works fine. If I move a folder - or images - through Windows Explorer, will the change be made in Picasa or will the images in the folder be disconnected like what happens in PSE Organizer?

Thought of a question. I think someone made mention of this but I'm not sure I understand. I read in the Picasa help that I can move folders within Picasa and it will move them on my hard drive. I've done that and it works fine. If I move a folder - or images - through Windows Explorer, will the change be made in Picasa or will the images in the folder be disconnected like what happens in PSE Organizer?

Picasa just views the files and folders on your hard drive as they are. So if you change something in Windows, the change will show up in Picasa. Sometimes I find that I have to close and reopen Picasa in order for it to recognize changes, but that's all.

BTW, LOVE your new avatar photo! It's great!

Picasa creates a hidden file that is stored within the folder with the items. If while in Windows Explorer you move the whole FOLDER all your tags and settings will stay with it because the file is attatched BUT if you move an item out of the folder it will LOSE any tags associated with that folder. If you move things within Picasa the hidden file seems to stay with it.

Picasa creates a hidden file that is stored within the folder with the items. If while in Windows Explorer you move the whole FOLDER all your tags and settings will stay with it because the file is attatched BUT if you move an item out of the folder it will LOSE any tags associated with that folder. If you move things within Picasa the hidden file seems to stay with it.

So you can tag whole folders in Picasa, not just individual files? Some other programs won't let you tag folders, just their contents. (Does that question make sense?)

Darn it! I really don't need to have all 26 (or more!) of my alphas come up if I'm searching by tag.... It would be great to just have one folder show up in the search results.

Any suggestions, oh Picasa Gurus, on how to deal with the Alpha Conundrum?

I can't help you, Heidi, but just want to say thanks for all the great tips on this thread that actually worked for me!

It was so cool to drag a file across from Picasa into PSE. I can't believe how much time that will save!

I like that you can tag multiple pictures in a file at the same time - so searching for dog pictures was unbelievably fast.

I'm so glad I downloaded Picassa!

thanks eveyone!

:)

Archived