Starting To Use Photo Gallery To Organize Scrapping Stuff

bjc

after talking today to dee all about windows photo gallery and how to use it to find scrapping supplies i am thinking about using it instead of my acdsee...i love acdsee but when you have technical issues...like getting a new ehd or a crash of your computer it is really hard..even when things are backed up to know how to do this without some real expert on acdsee and they no longer have support by phone, and take forever to respond by email..there is one very good website digiscraptalk that has lots of info but i am feeling as much as i really like it when it works..which is most times..when in crisis i have no confidence in it

so i would love to hear from anyone who uses photo gallery...how you use it..tips, tricks etc

for now ..here are my questions

rather than slow it down with all my files how do i tell it to only have thumbnails of certain files, like my scrapgirls collection folder and sub folders?

i know i will have more questions but i will start slow

also do you tag your items? or just rely on the search to find the items with the names that the items already have? i think since there are many names for things i may have to do tagging?

thanks for any help

just thought of some more questions...LOL...i knew i would and you did too!! LOL

if i have most of my stuff on an ehd and i use it btw my LT and DT when i plug it into the different computers will all the tags be there? does it matter which computer i tag things on?

also initially now it is taking awhile for thumbnails to come up...will this be the case every time i unplug ehd from one computer and then put it into the other computer???

anyone use photo viewer with scrapping stuff and photos on EHD and shared with LT and DT?

thanks again

Bobbie,

Is this in windows 7? I just got it and am interested in doing this also. I have a lptp and a dt too that I use with a ehd...so we are doing the same thing. I will be watching this with interest! (and I didn't want you to be alone in your post!) lol

Bobbie, and Lisa,

I'm not sure as to how much help I will be, but I do use Windows Photo Gallery, with Vista.

There are certain folders that are default folders - your Pictures Folder - for one. To add others, in Windows Photo Gallery, click on File and select Add Folder to Gallery. Once you've added a folder to the Gallery, you can remove it. In the Navigation pane - the list of folders on the right side of the screen - right click on the folder and click Remove From Gallery.

I sometimes tag my photos, sometimes not. I usually keep tem in chronological order so I feel it is unnecessary for me. Also, while taking a photography class, and looking at the EXIF information, I noticed that by tagging in Windows Photo Gallery, some of the EXIF information is missing. So that makes me think about whether to tag or not.

I do not have my scrapbooking supplies in the Photo Gallery, so I'm no help there.

Now, I could be wrong about this, but it is my thought that the Windows Photo Gallery will be different on each of your computers, unless you are networking them. You can get more information about this my clicking on File and then on Share With Devices.

I have my desktop and my laptop networked here in the house, and I keep all of my scrapbooking supplies on a Public Drive so when I am here in the house, I can use either computer and access my supplies. This way, I don't have to always use the EHD here in the house. I do, however, have all my scrapbooking supplies backed up on an EHD (actually 2) but one is a WD portable that I take with me when we travel. It takes a bit of housekeeping to keep everything current, but I do this about usually once a month or so, or when I download a lot of new stuff.

I hope this has help, and not confused you too much ;-) I know I resisted using Windows Photo Gallery for quite a while before I finally sat down and just started clicking on things to see how it worked.

One important thing to remember, that is if you DELETE a photo or image from the Gallery, you DELETE it from your hard drive.

• 3 weeks later...

search for posts from barbarac1977 also known as hotscrapper. she has posted detailed directions.

I have an awful time searching the message boards, and just have to scroll. somehow you can use the google tool?

HTH I rarely find what I am trying for. maybe put your topic in quotes? search by person instead.

candyK

Archived