Photo

Can I Use A Desktop Ehd As A Portable Ehd?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glassbird

glassbird

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

I have 2 EHDs on my desktop...a 500 GB and a 100 GB. The 100 GB is not being used at all, since I purchased the 500 GB. I now have a laptop, and am having an ongoing struggle with keeping the files on my laptop synchronized with the files on my desktop. I tried using Sync Toy 2.0, but my internal HD on the laptop is not big enough to make the process work...

SO....

I am thinking about unplugging the unused 100 GB EHD from my desktop, and using it as an EHD for the laptop. It is much bigger than the EHDs that I have seen that are specifically designed for use with a laptop. But other than size (and weight), is there a difference? Is a desktop EHD less likely to be able to handle "life on the go"? (If it matters, the desktop EHD is at least 3 years old...)

CT

#2 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,745 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:40 AM

I see no reason why you can't use it for your laptop - but do you have a router and are running everything wireless - if so, then it will back up your laptop anyway - at least that is the way mine works - it is set up to back up my desk computer and our two laptops. Hope this helps!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 sunnie2004

sunnie2004

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 10,774 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am me nothing more nothing less!

Laurie in Pa took my photo for my photo! TY!!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:31 AM

I have swapped EHD's for years go for it!!......Just a small reminder...shut your EHD's down when you are not using them.
Posted ImagePosted Image
My blog I play with pscs3 !!!
over 5055 gallery comments left!! Imagine I did this stuff

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 kerryveale

kerryveale

Hi, I'm Kerry & I love Scrap Girls!

• Design Team
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

That's what I do! (I wrap it in bubble wrap when I put it in my rolling laptop bag). Be sure if you disconnect it while your laptop is running, to use the "safely disconnect" command. (if it's a PC, not sure what to do if it's a Mac). I also carry a powerstrip in my rolling laptop bag, just in case there's only one outlet available wherever I end up working. I do have another EHD that has everything on it that doesn't go out with me.

~ Kerry ~
Designs~ Gallery
Button_Designer.png

The Adagio digital scrapbooking kit will spark your creativity in creating layouts for travel, performances, music, romance,

special occasions like dances, and heritage layouts. (Images are clickable)
KVE_Adagio_MKTG_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO1_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO2_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_PaperSamples_MKTG_150.jpg

#5 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,875 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

You can buy enclosures for regular internal drives that turn them into EHD's-- my husband has done this for years (like 15). A regular hard drive will need a power cord when used as an EHD while a laptop drive will usually power off the usb. We've made the smaller ones when we've upgraded to a larger laptop drive-- or you can pull the drive out of a dead laptop, reformat it and put it in a little enclosure. Don't tell-- that is what I gave my brother for Christmas last year. Posted Image

I just realized I mis-read your question. I used a regular (plug-in) EHD for years with my laptop. They are just bigger and need a power cord.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#6 naninca

naninca

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

So there's such a thing as a wireless EHD??!?!?!? I'm intrigued. Sounds like a painless way to backup. Gotta research that!
Nancy

#7 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,377 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

By the way, I understand the average life span of an EHD is 3 years...so please develop a backup system if you don't have one.
:)
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Scrapin Pat

Scrapin Pat

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I have swapped EHD's for years go for it!!......Just a small reminder...shut your EHD's down when you are not using them.

Why shut everything down? - I rarely shut down computer or EHD. Am I putting them at risk in some way?
Posted Image

#9 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,875 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

My husband has me turn off my EHD when I'm not using it. There is less chance of it having problems if it gets bumped or dropped. It saves power too. I'm sure there are more technical reasons, maybe I'll ask him when he gets home. :D

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#10 sunnie2004

sunnie2004

• Members
  • 10,774 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am me nothing more nothing less!

Laurie in Pa took my photo for my photo! TY!!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have spoke with SeaGate when I got my last EHD ...the female tech as I was hanging up she said Oh Yea Ms McCann....Make sure you save the life of your EHD b shutting it down when not in use.....So I said ok
Posted ImagePosted Image
My blog I play with pscs3 !!!
over 5055 gallery comments left!! Imagine I did this stuff

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 glassbird

glassbird

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:55 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone! Looks like I am going to be moving some files around, and finally make some use of my 100 GB EHD. I like the idea of bubble wrapping it...very hi-tech!

If the lifespan of an EHD is only 3 years, then I had better start saving for a "real" portable EHD...but at least I can use this for now.

...and yes, I do have all my pics and digital elements backed up. I keep them all on my 500 GB EHD and that is backed up daily by Mozy. Most of my pictures are also backed up on CDs, although I admit that I have become a little casual about that lately.

I will be copying all my pics and digital elements from the 500 GB EHD onto the 100 GB EHD now, and then use the 100 GB with the laptop. Periodically, I will hook the 100 GB back up to my desktop, and synchronize those files with the 500 GB, so that Mozy can be updated...that way, I will have everything backed up three times!

Who says paranoia can't be fun?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users