Can I Use A Desktop Ehd As A Portable Ehd?

I have 2 EHDs on my desktop...a 500 GB and a 100 GB. The 100 GB is not being used at all, since I purchased the 500 GB. I now have a laptop, and am having an ongoing struggle with keeping the files on my laptop synchronized with the files on my desktop. I tried using Sync Toy 2.0, but my internal HD on the laptop is not big enough to make the process work...

SO....

I am thinking about unplugging the unused 100 GB EHD from my desktop, and using it as an EHD for the laptop. It is much bigger than the EHDs that I have seen that are specifically designed for use with a laptop. But other than size (and weight), is there a difference? Is a desktop EHD less likely to be able to handle "life on the go"? (If it matters, the desktop EHD is at least 3 years old...)

CT

I see no reason why you can't use it for your laptop - but do you have a router and are running everything wireless - if so, then it will back up your laptop anyway - at least that is the way mine works - it is set up to back up my desk computer and our two laptops. Hope this helps!

That's what I do! (I wrap it in bubble wrap when I put it in my rolling laptop bag). Be sure if you disconnect it while your laptop is running, to use the "safely disconnect" command. (if it's a PC, not sure what to do if it's a Mac). I also carry a powerstrip in my rolling laptop bag, just in case there's only one outlet available wherever I end up working. I do have another EHD that has everything on it that doesn't go out with me.

You can buy enclosures for regular internal drives that turn them into EHD's-- my husband has done this for years (like 15). A regular hard drive will need a power cord when used as an EHD while a laptop drive will usually power off the usb. We've made the smaller ones when we've upgraded to a larger laptop drive-- or you can pull the drive out of a dead laptop, reformat it and put it in a little enclosure. Don't tell-- that is what I gave my brother for Christmas last year. wink.gif

I just realized I mis-read your question. I used a regular (plug-in) EHD for years with my laptop. They are just bigger and need a power cord.

I have spoke with SeaGate when I got my last EHD ...the female tech as I was hanging up she said Oh Yea Ms McCann....Make sure you save the life of your EHD b shutting it down when not in use.....So I said ok

Thanks for the input, everyone! Looks like I am going to be moving some files around, and finally make some use of my 100 GB EHD. I like the idea of bubble wrapping it...very hi-tech!

If the lifespan of an EHD is only 3 years, then I had better start saving for a "real" portable EHD...but at least I can use this for now.

...and yes, I do have all my pics and digital elements backed up. I keep them all on my 500 GB EHD and that is backed up daily by Mozy. Most of my pictures are also backed up on CDs, although I admit that I have become a little casual about that lately.

I will be copying all my pics and digital elements from the 500 GB EHD onto the 100 GB EHD now, and then use the 100 GB with the laptop. Periodically, I will hook the 100 GB back up to my desktop, and synchronize those files with the 500 GB, so that Mozy can be updated...that way, I will have everything backed up three times!

Who says paranoia can't be fun?

Archived