Installing Styles Into Pse8 For Mac

TracEy

Hi-i replied to your other post about installing styles with instructions on how to do it but I can see where you went down the wrong path (thanks for that screenshot!)-you were spot on by accessing via the hard drive and not your home folder but from the hard drive you want to select Library. Here are the instructions.......

What you want to do is: First step: Highlight the style and then go to Edit up on the Finder--->and click on Copy. If you have PSE open, close it.

1. Open up the Library that is in your hard drive-not the Library on your Home Folder (icon of a house).

2. Go to Application Support

3. Choose Adobe

4. Go down to Photoshop Elements

5. Click on the folder 8.0

6. Next click on the folder Locale

7. Then en_US

8. Click on Photo Creations

9. Then layer styles

10. And then paste the new style into the list of styles

You are not quite done yet.......

Next go back to where you see the Photo Creations folder and above that is a file called MediaDatabase.db3. Highlight that file and then add the word OLD to it-so now it should read MediadatabaseOLD.db3. Then open up PSE-it will rebuild the contents so it may take awhile. Any time you add a style, this is the procedure you need to do. When you go to install another style, you can delete the file, MediadatabaseOLD.db3 and rename the file above that (the one without the OLD in it) with the OLD. It is now the one you are replacing with a new database. Hope that makes sense!!

Hi-i replied to your other post about installing styles with instructions on how to do it but I can see where you went down the wrong path (thanks for that screenshot!)-you were spot on by accessing via the hard drive and not your home folder but from the hard drive you want to select Library. Here are the instructions.......

What you want to do is: First step: Highlight the style and then go to Edit up on the Finder--->and click on Copy. If you have PSE open, close it.

1. Open up the Library that is in your hard drive-not the Library on your Home Folder (icon of a house).

3. Choose Adobe

7. Then en_US

9. Then layer styles

Next go back to where you see the Photo Creations folder and above that is a file called MediaDatabase.db3. Highlight that file and then add the word OLD to it-so now it should read MediadatabaseOLD.db3. Then open up PSE-it will rebuild the contents so it may take awhile. Any time you add a style, this is the procedure you need to do. When you go to install another style, you can delete the file, MediadatabaseOLD.db3 and rename the file above that (the one without the OLD in it) with the OLD. It is now the one you are replacing with a new database. Hope that makes sense!!

Still no luck....do you see anything I have done wrong?

Did you try deleting the Mediadatabase.db3 file (it is located at Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\ en-US) I know in PSE 6/7 you had to do that alot, on both PC and Mac. This rebuilds the database and helps newly installed items show up

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Here are some screenshots showing how it should look. This is showing the route for layer styles. The one labeled "layerstyles_1" is the first one to look at-it goes from my hard drive (not my Home Folder-note the difference). The second one is follows the first one and then the third one which shows a partial list of my styles. Note that I have 2 MediaDatabase.db3-one has the word "OLD"-that one I will delete the next time I install some new styles or photo effects-I will then rename the one that doesn't have the word "OLD" to MediaDatabase.db3OLD. And when I start up PSE 8 again, the database will be rebuilt. I hope the screenshots help you. I will next do the photo effects. Just found out that I will have to load each screenshot individually. So look for 3 screenshots. Judy

ok, so I got them to install, now here is my next problem. The Basic Shadows 6501 does not show on the styles list, but the individual styles show if I click on "Show All". Is there something else I need to do to have them appear on the styles list?

Good morning! I am glad you got them installed but I can't help you with how the different styles are displayed. I have the same issue-I either choose Show All or just use the categories that are listed. Have you figured out how to get the icon of the styles, etc. to be bigger or to display the name? Judy

Good morning! I am glad you got them installed but I can't help you with how the different styles are displayed. I have the same issue-I either choose Show All or just use the categories that are listed. Have you figured out how to get the icon of the styles, etc. to be bigger or to display the name? Judy

Yes, I have been able to figure out how to change the size of the style thumbnail in the category display. I don't see an option for "list" though. Do you know how to do it?

I am thinking that getting the name on the display list has something to do with putting the .asl file and somehow making it into a .xml file. If there is a way (which I know there is, just don't know how to do it) then we would have to put these two files into Library - Application Support - Adobe - Photoshope Elements - 8.0 - Photo Creations - Layer Styles - In this file you will find the same files that show in the "Locale" path, but with the .asl (original file) and the .xml file. Do you know how to change the original file into a .xml file?

I am sorry I know nothing about PSE 8 on a Mac, but on Windows, the xml file can be edited to put your style in a list - you can copy the xml file from one of the styles that came with PSE and put your style into it instead (carefully saving it under a new name first.)

I will go ahead and post this while I look for that thread - maybe someone else will read this and be able to find it faster.

• 2 weeks later...

This link will show you how to rebuild the database so that your styles will show up and you don't have to "show all styles".

I copied and pasted it into a word doc and have it saved on my computer and use it every time I install styles and actions. I'm surprised this link is not pinned or that this information is not included with our instructions for styles.

Hope that helps - it's long but worth the read and it works.

Alternatively, many SG members like "Add-o-matic" - I think you have to purchase it - you could probably search online.

Add-o-matic is available for download for $10.99. I have not used it because it's not available in Mac format, but now that I have a PC laptop and just ordered PSE8 for it, my next step will be to install the add-o-matic. I've never been able to add styles/actions to PSE 6 on my Mac and I don't want to be frustrated again with the new 8 version. I see $11 as a reasonable investment in my mental health!

3. Choose Adobe

7. Then en_US

9. Then layer styles

Yes, I have been able to figure out how to change the size of the style thumbnail in the category display. I don't see an option for "list" though. Do you know how to do it?

I am thinking that getting the name on the display list has something to do with putting the .asl file and somehow making it into a .xml file. If there is a way (which I know there is, just don't know how to do it) then we would have to put these two files into Library - Application Support - Adobe - Photoshope Elements - 8.0 - Photo Creations - Layer Styles - In this file you will find the same files that show in the "Locale" path, but with the .asl (original file) and the .xml file. Do you know how to change the original file into a .xml file?

Ok, figured out how to change the file to a .xml file. Now the question is, what do I change it to? This is what I have done and it doesn't seem to put the style in the list, but shows up in the "Show All". Good news, I can now use my styles, just wish I can get to them easier without scrolling through all the images.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PSEContent xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/PSEContent/1.0/">

<global>

<type value="style" />

<typecategory id="CatABR_SSTool_Style_Glitter5501" value="ABR_SSTool_Style_Glitter5501" localize="true" />

</global>

</PSEContent>

Sure would be nice to have the .xml files when we buy the styles so we don't have to make them ourselves. So darn confusing. If I could figure this out it would have saves me hours of time wasted.

OMG TracEy! Ditto! I just got a Mac and PSE8-finally got my styles and action loaded. and resaved the thumbs so they would appear, but I have not gotten a spare moment to try to get them to show up in the menu. I'm not sure what to do about that, b/c I don't understand what you wrote up there. (laughing at myself!) Anyhow, I share your frustration, and hope one of us will figure it out soon!

To get your styles and actions to show up in the menu, rather than just the "show all" option, you have to make .xml files for PSE6 (these are super easy to do). But for PSE8 they have to be metadata.xml files. So, if you have already created .xml files for PSE6 all you will need to do is change .xml to metadata.xml and drop those files in the right folder. Since I have so many, I created a little workflow in automator to do this for me, which was super easy. Automator comes along with your os, just look in Applications. I uploaded a screen shot so you can see how easy it is - just make sure you navigate to the correct folders and you'll be done in a jiffy.

If you open a metadata.xml file in text edit, you'll probably freak. I did, because it looked way too complicated for me to edit. But the xml files from PSE6 work just fine when they're renamed, so I'm going to continue to use those as my base to create new files when I buy new styles.

Hope this helps!

automator screenshot.tiff

Ok, figured out how to change the file to a .xml file. Now the question is, what do I change it to? This is what I have done and it doesn't seem to put the style in the list, but shows up in the "Show All". Good news, I can now use my styles, just wish I can get to them easier without scrolling through all the images.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PSEContent xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/PSEContent/1.0/">

<global>

<type value="style" />

<typecategory id="CatABR_SSTool_Style_Glitter5501" value="ABR_SSTool_Style_Glitter5501" localize="true" />

</global>

</PSEContent>

Sure would be nice to have the .xml files when we buy the styles so we don't have to make them ourselves. So darn confusing. If I could figure this out it would have saves me hours of time wasted.

What you can do is to create your own category name for a type of style (Glitter is mine for your example) and then Open the .xml file with whatever the Mac equivalent of Notepad is. Where it says value="ABR_SSTool_Style_Glitter5501" take out the ABR etc and put Glitter inside the quotation marks. (Sorry I still can't find the thread and give credit for this.) THEN rebuild the thumb thing, and the next time you open PSE you should now have a new category called Glitter with all of the styles you put in there. Do pay attention though - I ended up with both Metal and Metals!

I am using Windows, but I think this part would be the same. The tough part is finding/creating the .xml files to begin with!

Archived