Memory Question

SodScrap

Ok Ladies.....this is the first of many question (probably)

I have a dell pc (inspiron 530) running vista

How do I find out how much memory I have available? I know I can add memory and how much I can add, but how do I check to see how much of my existing memory is available?

Exact specs:

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB Currently Installed Memory: 2GB Available Memory Slots: 2 Total Memory Slots: 4 Dual Channel Support: Yes CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD CPU Family: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ Model 11, Stepping 1 CPU Speed: 2100 MHz

Thanks so much....

I'm going off of my memory as I no longer have Vista to verify, but it still works this way in Win7.

Open Windows Explorer and choose computer, so that you can see all your drives. Make sure none of the drives is selected (click on a blank spot in the window to deselect any drives.) At the bottom of the window it displays the memory.

If that doesn't work please say so, but DH remembers that way also.

Thanks Sarah- btw LOVE the new blinkie-you wear it well! :D

That shows I have 2GB memory, but can I see somewhere how much is used? I'm trying to figure out if some of my issues w/PSE6 is a memory issue (lack of memory) or if I should uninstall and reinstall it to see if that is the problem....

Sometimes PSE doesn't load. When it does, sometimes it takes FOREVER, like over 10 minutes. Yes, I have a lot of styles, but wouldn't think that I have too many. But then again, I don't know what "too many" is.

I have had to reinstall PSE (various versions) in order to fix issues. I think, since we scrappers tend to play in the system files, I have accidentally moved something or deleted something. Loading all those styles and such does take a lot of time. I don't keep my brushes installed. It helps speed things up. There is a styles limit in PSE. I don't know what it is though.

To check how much memory is being used you need to go to the same place. (I don't know if this will work in Vista, but as far as I can tell Vista and Win7 are similar.) Up at the top of the window are some buttons. Click on "System Properties" (as I said I can't verify this button is in Vista.) Mine says "Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.49 GB usable)" Unless you have 64-bit you cannot use more than 3.5 GB of ram hence the usable amount. You should be able to use all 2 GB.

I just hover my mouse (don't click) over the name of the drive (on the same screen as mentioned above- my computer). Then it'll show a bar graph of your total memory, and how much you've used. This works in Vista and XP.

Is this what you were looking for?

Nancy

In Vista, click CTRL + ALT + DELETE. Do not do this twice in a row, or you'll turn your computer off.

Select Start Task Manager (you may have to authorize this application.) The Performance tab shows how hard your CPU is working, as a percentage of capability, and how much memory you're using. More details are available by clicking the Resource Monitor button.

Windows XP is the same, except I don't think Resource Monitor is directly available on that screen.

If you're consistently at 75%-80% or more, then you need more memory if your computer will support it. Or you need to re-boot. Some applications "clutch onto" memory they've used, and don't let go when you end them; only a reboot will help.

Hope this helps.

Conda you have 2 GB Memory with 2 available slots. I suggest you get 2 more 1 GB Memory sticks to put in to make a total of 4GB. Then some of your issues will be solved. I had to go up in my memory and now I have 3GB of Memory in my computer.

Thank you ladies!!

I found my memory used is 60%. I plan to add the extra 2GB that it can handle. Where is the best/cheapest place to buy memory?

Sara-if I uninstall PSE-does it delete EVERYthing? So everything (styles/actions/brushes) have to be reinstalled? And,if you don't install your brushes, do you just install/uninstall as you need/use them??

I love buying memory from Crucial.com. They have an online tool that detects your computer and figures out what it can handle. They also have chat/help to get more guidance. And if something doesn't work out, they accept returns without a hassle. Prices are great, too. I have been using them for years.

The last time I upgraded my memory, I went to Crucial.com like Barbara suggested. I then compared their prices with Newegg.com...and bought whichever had the best deal! I like Newegg because they have fast shipping and I've never had a problem with the parts ordered from them. That's where my brother bought all the parts (including memory) when he built my desktop from scratch.

I love buying memory from Crucial.com. They have an online tool that detects your computer and figures out what it can handle. They also have chat/help to get more guidance. And if something doesn't work out, they accept returns without a hassle. Prices are great, too. I have been using them for years.

I found crucial.com at work yesterday, and wondered about it! Thanks for the recommendation!

I've bought all my memory from crucial, also. They have good customer service.

Conda, I don't uninstall PSE. Just put the disk in and have it install again. It will remove all your styles and stuff. I keep a copy of my styles and META data in another folder for easy reinstall. You can do this easily before you reinstall PSE. Also, my brushes I keep in a folder on the desktop for easy access. When you open your brushes follow the arrow in the pull down menu. And choose "Load Brush" Then you can navigate to the brush you want. If there are several you are using I know you can load several at a time. This will save lots of startup time in PSE.

Everyone here has pretty much answered your question but wanted to point out that if you don't have 64 bit Windows Vista, the most memory the OS will handle is 3GB so just buy one more GB of memory. Most people have 32 bit Vista.

Everyone here has pretty much answered your question but wanted to point out that if you don't have 64 bit Windows Vista, the most memory the OS will handle is 3GB so just buy one more GB of memory. Most people have 32 bit Vista.

This is exactly why my laptop only uses 3.5 GB of Ram even though I have 4 installed.

Ugh, I tried to do a fix on my ps last night and ended up not being able to get back in... had to reload it twice before I got it to work... IS there a way to save your presets in ps so if you have to reload it you don't have to go through all of that again?

Archived