4 replies to this topic

#1 Sagebug

Sagebug

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have been very lax at backing up my photos and png files and have been lucky but I'm feeling like it's only a matter of time before something crashes. Stupid, I know.

I'm moving all of my photos and png files to my EHD that is connected to my desktop and then will then use Mozy to back it up on a daily basis. Do you think that I should add an additional step to my backup plan? I do have CDs of all of my digital kits and photos, but don't know if I need to continue burning CDs since I'm using Mozy.

Please let me know what you think!

TIA

#2 glassbird

glassbird

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:16 AM

Your plan is basically exactly what I do. I have gone one step further and put on CDs the images that I would be most devastated to lose (which is a lot!) and then put those CDs out of my house. In other words, they are not stored next to my computer. Vintage family images (huge collection, with some dating back to before the Civil War) have been distributed to cousins in other states. More recent and personal stuff is in a bank safe deposit box.

But even having done that, I confess to being uneasy. I am hoping an experienced Mozy user can hop in with some advice for both of us, because I have only had to "restore" one file so far. And I noticed it was missing almost immediately after accidentally deleting it.

What happens if you discover that a file is missing weeks after it "goes away"? How would Mozy know to keep it backed up?

(I hope this is not viewed as "hijacking a thread"...just wanted to point out my one concern with Mozy, and it may not even be valid.)

#3 Vaughnde

Vaughnde

Quietly Crochetin' and Scrappin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,085 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

any backup plan you have should have 3 ways.

1. Back up to CD or DVD your programs and pictures and do a second copy to keep in a safe place like a safe deposit box or another relative's house.

2. Back up to an EHD strictly for backup purposes and Acronis is good for this.

3. Backup with an online backup plan like Carbonite or Mozy or backblaze.

April should be having a backup party chat this week...I think on Friday coming up.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My SG Gallery My Blog I scrap with PSPX1

#4 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,351 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

Yep, Back up Party and Chat this Friday.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

Scrap10-Blinkie.gif

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#5 Smiles

Smiles

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Printing hard copy is another good backup for photos.
:)
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users