Ugh. Just Have To Vent About My Software Troubles...

Elisha

Just venting - DH is my usual vent, but he won't understand. Maybe just typing it out will relieve some stress.

So I have been using PSE 4 for forever, see? No problems, but last year I thought I'd upgrade a bit. I tried the trial of PSE 6. I found I didn't really want PSE 6, because I didn't like the dark interface. Well, I go to buy a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet with some birthday money, and it says on the box that it includes PSE 5. I'd heard wonderful things about PSE 5. Problem solved. Well, I open the box, and lo and behold, I get PSE 6. Oh well. I figure I need to get with the times and I install 6. Try using it, can never get used to it and always fall back to 4.

OK. So I hear all these wonderful things about PSE 8. I download the trial and start playing with it. Pretty nice (still that dark interface, but I can change it and it looks a little better - but not as nice as my PSE 4). Well, life happens and I haven't been scrapping too much, so I don't practice that much with PSE 8. In the meantime, I notice that my hard drive is getting pretty full. I decide to uninstall PSE 6 to save some space.

Well, I have this assignment due, and to get it done quickly I open PSE 4. Where are my styles? I reinstall them and they don't show up. ugh. something must have happened to the database when I uninstalled PSE 6. Alright - let's try PSE8. TRIAL EXPIRED.

Cannot get 4 to work.

So now I reinstall PSE 6 and buy add-o-matic to install my styles. At least the new add-o-matic works for PSE 8 too, for when I dish out the cash...

Sorry to vent. but I feel better. No need to reply :)

Vent all you want. I think you can change the PSE 6 interface to a lighter color also. It should be in Edit> Preferences> General same as PSE8. It might be different, but it is actually better on your eyes to have a darker interface. It also helps the Layout stand out. Hope everything gets figured out.

I'm having software problems also. I bought a new computer because my old one took a crash - it wouldn't run windows consistently. When I did get it up and running all my styles were missing from PSE7. Do you think there is a "Styles Grinch" running loose? I thought - oh well - I'll just restore from Carbonite but guess what they were missing from Carbonite also!

Poor Angie reactivated all my styles for me and I am in the process of reinstalling. Of course now my Lightroom program won't run on the new Windows 7! So, I totally understand your frustration with what is going on with your software. I have threatened to go back to paper scrapbooking! lol

On the bright side, if you upgrade to Win7 - add-o-matic will work.

Oh Elisha I am replying just to help you feel that little bit better to know that we have a listening ear. Isn't it soooooooooo frustrating when these things go wrong.

I went from PSE 4, which I really loved to PS CS2! Steep learning curve but now I love the change and are with CS3. It did take about two months of perservering to get really happy. I so hope things come right for you soon and that you will be happy and comfortable again and making your awesome LO.s

Yep, I am having major problems with my old computer. Its ok ok, since I did get a new one, but my DS needs the old one for his CAD class. I'm going to go uninstall CS3 and lightroom and hope that helps the situation.

Seems to me I started having problems when Lightroom was added. No glitches up until that point. I hope everything works out right for you in the end. You have my sympathies.

Let's scream together...

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Whew. I feel better, too.

I was issues yesterday, myself. My ACDSee, where I've done ALL my organizing, is kaput. Dead. And furthermore, I'm so frustrated at it, I could scream. I put everything in Picassa, but I'm not 100% sold... but it's better than NOTHING. I'm not sure I even want to fix ACDSee -- I'm so sick of the problems with it. Love it when it works, though... sigh.

'Kay. I feel better too. :)

Joann,

I just dumped ACDSee. It worked great on my XP, but my Vista laptop just fought with it. I finally bailed and used Windows Photo Gallery. It took a few evenings of organizing, but it was SOOO worth it! I love Picasa for my photos, but for some reason, I've never used it for my supplies.

Now if Carbonite could just get through the TONS of stuff, I'll feel like I'm set.

Aren't these computers supposed to make our lives easier? Sure doesn't seem that way when they cause us to tear our hair out!

Good luck,

Nancy

Ahhhh, I just finished a project using PSE 6 from start to finish. But it sure was a bear! I had to install all my styles and actions. And organize them by editing all those xml files. ugh. I just thank all the SGs who posted instructions and help for me to do that.

hmmm. But my upgrade to 8 is just around the corner. Now if I can just find a good price! Found it at Amazon for 84.99 -$20 rebate = 64.99 final price. not too bad. I've got a little money squirreled away - $120. OH, well $110, I forgot I bought Add-o-Matic. I'm saving for a netbook, but maybe I should get the software instead.

God Bless all of you! Computers suppose to make our lives easier, but when they go down...well it seems like everything goes wrong and it takes forever to get back to "normal" (whatever that is). Glad for those of you who got things straightened out and will be sending prayers and positive thoughts for those who are still working at getting things fixed!

ah, girls, I AM the tech guy at my house! I'm rather pleased, though, that I was able to figure out it was my Bamboo Fun that was causing Illustrator to crash. I uninstalled it and lo and behold, Illustrator ran just fine. (except how could I draw without my faithful tablet?) So I called Wacom and they said to use the older driver version (I did have great customer service there!) Installed the old driver, and we're good to go!

Who woulda thunk?

These computers are lovely when they work!!!!

LOL, Steph. For sure!! I'm with you. It's just crazy how much we rely on these gadgets.

I've been using Picassa all week -- and I'm starting to appreciate it; it's still not 100% there, there are a few things that bug me, and I'm still missing some of the convenient features of ACDSee... but I think I'll survive w/out it. maybe.

Acck! COMPUTERS!

I've been struggling to get all my files moved to an EHD from my old (only about a year old) LT so I can give it to my son. But....It freezes up. just hangs and won't do a doggone thing. I shut it down, let it sit turned off for a bit, restart it, move one or two things, freeze, and do it all over again. and it won't even recognize my new EHD. And the old one is full. I'm so bummed. I've uninstalled every non-essential bit of software, sometimes taking two or three tries with that. I've cleaned the disk, I've defragmented. I have no idea what else to do other than take it to my geek guy. I don't have a day off until next week to do that, so I'll just keep trying to work with it. Seems worse every time I do this. Unfortunately, the last files to be moved are my LOs that aren't back up, about 50 of them. Adding to my computer frustrations has been how poor the response from adobe has been with getting my new version of CS4 to me. Finally got a notice yesterday that it was shipped and should be here Monday. but I had to reopen my customer service case from Oct 22 to get that info. How very frustrating that all was.

ah, girls, I AM the tech guy at my house! I'm rather pleased, though, that I was able to figure out it was my Bamboo Fun that was causing Illustrator to crash. I uninstalled it and lo and behold, Illustrator ran just fine. (except how could I draw without my faithful tablet?) So I called Wacom and they said to use the older driver version (I did have great customer service there!) Installed the old driver, and we're good to go!

Who woulda thunk?

hhhmmmmm - now you have me thinking about Lightroom. My old computer caught a virus (poor thing) and Best Buy had a great deal on a Toshiba with WIN7 which I fell for. Some people trade in cars every couple of years - with me it's computers! lol

Anyway, LR will not run. I downloaded the latest driver for 64 bit but still no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled - still no luck. I think I'll uninstall the pad and see what happens!

These computers are lovely when they work!!!!

I gather things are getting back in working order? I sure hope so, it made my head spin reading this (I'm so technically challenged)! Good luck in everything working and getting your project done! (I do love my PSE5 ;))

Well, you have mastered Picasa, Glorie - you are waaaay ahead of most of us - thank goodness for you and Dee! Maybe the two of you could collaborate on that book she is writing for us dummies! I know it took you a long time but you did it - and made it sound so easy......still have not gotten mine organized in Picasa as I want to. Not enough time for everything anymore

I've been struggling to get all my files moved to an EHD from my old (only about a year old) LT so I can give it to my son. But....It freezes up. just hangs and won't do a doggone thing. I shut it down, let it sit turned off for a bit, restart it, move one or two things, freeze, and do it all over again. and it won't even recognize my new EHD. And the old one is full. I'm so bummed. I've uninstalled every non-essential bit of software, sometimes taking two or three tries with that. I've cleaned the disk, I've defragmented. I have no idea what else to do other than take it to my geek guy. I don't have a day off until next week to do that, so I'll just keep trying to work with it. Seems worse every time I do this. Unfortunately, the last files to be moved are my LOs that aren't back up, about 50 of them. Adding to my computer frustrations has been how poor the response from adobe has been with getting my new version of CS4 to me. Finally got a notice yesterday that it was shipped and should be here Monday. but I had to reopen my customer service case from Oct 22 to get that info. How very frustrating that all was.

That IS frustrating, Sandi - I hate it when that happens - on my big computer, ds downloaded some stuff that is now making it freeze - am in the process of deleting all of his stuff now - it is MY computer after all!

Go for the PSE8 Elisha. Especially if you know you liked it better then 6. Do you still have the original disk from 4? Why can't you re-install that. If you put 6 back on, and all your styles are back in, you should be able to easily transfer them to 4 now. I think at least. I'm glad though that you were able to get your project done. I look forward to seeing your LO's in the newsletters.

Thanks for the support, Julie! Yes, I do have the disk for 4. It just seems so, well, lame to go back to 4. I just need to get 8. There seem to be some great new improvements. I want to move forward! I'm quickly getting used to the 6.

What I do hate about it is I can't adjust the angle of my shadows for just one layer! It's either all or nothing. Realistically there are multiple light sources - and I like to have more than just one angle. I don't think PSE 6 offers that. At least I can't find it. Anyone know if 8 does?

I went ahead and uninstalled my Bamboo and guess what? Lightroom now works! Obviously a conflict somewhere. I now have to call Wacom and find out what to do.

Don't know where I read it, Margot, but someone said that when they loaded an old driver for the Wacom, then Lightroom worked. The tablet too.

I went ahead and uninstalled my Bamboo and guess what? Lightroom now works! Obviously a conflict somewhere. I now have to call Wacom and find out what to do.

Don't know where I read it, Margot, but someone said that when they loaded an old driver for the Wacom, then Lightroom worked. The tablet too.

That was just further back in this thread....Kerry Veal's post. :)

:blush:

Sometimes I just want to throw all of my computer stuff out the window: computer, printer, EHD, etc. My desktop is in the hands of HP for a new hard drive. I'm using my laptop, which is quite wonderful.

I love PSE5, used #6 didn't like it, used #7 didn't like that as I kept having problems with it freezing on me. Then I downloaded and used the trial version of PSE8, which I liked. I still love and use #5, as #8 trial is expired and haven't purchased full version yet, but I do believe that I will sometime this coming week.

Computers can sure be a royal pain, but just think of where we would be without them. Paper scrapping and no wonderful SG friends to vent with and laugh with.

Sandi - I'm having the same issues with my old computer. I'm now wondering if it is the Bamboo pad. On my new computer LR wouldn't run with the pad installed. My girlfriend borrowed my pad for a couple of days and when she installed the software for the pad her computer did all kinds of weird things. I'm calling Wacom tomorrow to see what the deal is.

:blush:

Thanks - I saw that but I cannot get at any old drivers on their Web site. Only the new one comes up. I'll give them a call in the morning.

I uninstalled the tablet stuff, Lr and CS3 and it still is doing the same screwy things. I'm off Wed and Thurs and will take it in for my geek guy to work on. I think the HD just needs to be scrubbed and reloaded to the way it was shipped and then Jeremy can add whatever he needs on it. I got all my photos, most of my scrapping stuff and some of my older LOs so even if I lose whatever is left on it, I can replace most. And I'm pretty sure Andrew can get it all saved. Grrrrrr.... I'm with Carol, some days I just want to throw it all out the window.

Archived