Pesky "thumbs" Icon Showing Up

GatorGirl

Help! I am trying to clean up my files and dumping 'stuff' I don't need any more on my hard drive. However, a very strange thing is not allowing me to delete one particular file. I have a file of PSP elements made by me and at the end of the collection I see an icon (a white box with a green and a yellow gear on top of a piece of paper)named THUMBS with the following info:

Type: Date Base File

Date: modified 11/4/09 12:38 pm

Size: 114 KB

I don't know why it's there but because it is, I cannot delete the file. Can I delete this icon? I don't know what to do. I'm afraid I'll mess up my computer. Any advice? Thanks, Karen

If you do find a way to delete these you should know that as soon as you open PSP and use the browser to look for items the thumbs will be recreated. What they do is allow PSP (and other programs) show you the images faster. If you remember when you installed PSP it took a while for everything to show in the program it is because PSP was creating these thumb files. They really don't take up much room so I don't worry about them.

HTH

Dee is right--you can't delete these for the long haul, unless you ONLY view filenames or tiles rather than thumbnails of the images. These files help Windows find and re-load thumbnails quickly, rather than "peeking" inside each file every time. If UN-check "Show Hidden Files" in your File Views, you can have them hidden from you. That's your choice--I often need the hidden files, and so never hide them.

You all are a wealth of information! Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Since I can't seem to delete the folder because of the 'thumb' icon, I guess I'll have to leave that folder on MY DOCUMENTS list. I did dump all the other elements inside that folder. Now this folder just has the 'thumb' icon and a folder name that I can't change either. Maybe I'll sneak up on folder at a later time and see if I can surprise-delete it then. LOL Thanks again, Karen

The thumbs.db file will cause Windows to warn you when you try to delete, but it won't prevent it. If you can't delete a folder that's empty of everything but this, it's because Windows has temporarily locked the folder; it thinks it's in use by another program. It may or may not be really in use. A reboot fixes these for sure, if nothing else works. They are a nuisance, though.

Archived