#1 Reminiscing

Reminiscing

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts
  • Personal Statement:aspiring photographer and family historian

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

I am getting an EHD for my birthday this month, but I've done little research. Can you help? Here's my situation:

I used to work primarily on a desktop computer with many gigabytes of space and that's where 95% my many gigabytes of photos, layouts, and supplies currently reside. However, a year ago I got a laptop and have slowly been transitioning over to it. I like my laptop better than my desktop, except that my desktop has a much larger screen. Alas, I cannot fit but a small fraction of my photos and digi-scrap stuff onto this laptop, so I have continued to scrap on the desktop. I don't want to continue that way though because the desktop is being taken over by my children and even though I'm using Backblaze for back up, I'd still like to have my own unshared hard drive space.

I will switch Backblaze to back up my EHD and laptop, of course, so I need an EHD that works well that way. Or can you suggest the best back up service for EHDs? I do also backup photos and layouts at Smugmug.

I'm going to be starting big, at least a terabyte.

I'd like to be able to carry it around occasionally.

I'd like to not have to have it on my desk all the time (so I can keep it out of reach of little hands).

I am proficient at navigating through windows files, so that's how I hope the EHD works, as just another directory on my computer.

Oh, I should mention I'm using Vista on my laptop and my desktop is WindowsXP. Does that make a difference?

What else do I need to consider?

:thankyou: for all your tips, suggestions, advice, and help!!!

gallery_6765_2488_1918.png
BLINKIES_SpeedScrap.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
I use a Canon Rebel T1i and PSE10.
my photos and layouts

#2 Yvonne53

Yvonne53

Thankful for my family & friends!

• Members
  • 3,964 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am a Wife, Mom, Grandma, Teacher, Artist, Geologist,, Student of Life & SG!

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hi Michele~I only back my EHDs up to other EHDs and DVDs! I know others use different outside services, but I have not been able to do that yet.

If you are going for the 1 Terabyte and have a Costco nearby, they have a very nice Western Digital 1 T for around $109-119; that is what I am asking Santa for this Christmas. My son got one when he was home and loves it. It is very portable, so would slip right in to a laptop carrier (I use one of those nice heavy duty floral "carpet" bags from the craft store) and it shouldn't be too heavy.

Good luck with finding an EHD and a backup service...I am sure someone will be along who has used the different services for EHDs like Mozy or one of those. I will "catch" you on your birthday! Have a great day!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#3 MaryJo

MaryJo

A Scrap Girl and Lovin' it!!

• Members
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

I have the BlacX 1 tarabyte. It isn't really good for carrying around and it is bulky. BUT, I really liked the guarantee and so far its been great. And Happy Birthday
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

Happy Birthday!

On your laptop/desktop and monitor size... did you know that you can use a cable to connect the laptop to the desktop's monitor? Then you can use BOTH screens together--a wonderful way to work. Then you can work on the laptop, and get the benefit of both screens.

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
Scrap10-Blinkie.gif  SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#5 Reminiscing

Reminiscing

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  • Personal Statement:aspiring photographer and family historian

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

connect my laptop to my desktop monitor? I have wondered about that! I guess I need to ask someone at the computer store to help me find the right wire. Thanks!

gallery_6765_2488_1918.png
BLINKIES_SpeedScrap.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
I use a Canon Rebel T1i and PSE10.
my photos and layouts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users