Suggestion For A Usb Extension Thingie (Such A Technical Name! Lol!)

cherise

I have a small swivel hub that has worked pretty well for me, http://catalog.belki...duct_Id=377085. However, after 1 1/2 years of daily use with multiple devices that stay plugged into it (and then I just unplug the swivel) I've become concerned that it might be loosening the USB mounting on the laptop side. It puts a great deal of torque on the connection. I definitely don't want to damage that.

So I've switched to a powered hub http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=158910, and will also look at http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=277539 for travel.

Hope this helps.

Cherise I have a cheepo Dynex from bestbuy paid 20 bucks for it it has 5 usb plugs and sits on my desk top I have have absolutely no complaints I never even remember it is there LOL honest. go see Best Buy if you are not going to move it from place to place . Mine has to be at least 3 years old Hope that helps!

Believe it or not we picked up a couple of 4 hub extensions at the dollar store ($2 each). My husband, also a geek, picked them up and we've had them running for two years with no problems. I do mainly use those ones for all my jump drives.

Powered hubs are better, especially for laptops, or for systems that are not designed for expansion; it depends on the devices you connect. Some, such as a USB flash drive, draw very little power. Disk drives draw a LOT. When your devices draw power from your computer, it may struggle to get every last milli-ampere it needs. Some drives will run, but slower. Too much "over-draw", and you can lose (burn out) the system power supply. (I've done this.)

So, when you have a choice, a powered hub is often better.

I have one with four ports in it but do not remember the name of it - I got it at the Apple store since I have a Mac but they told me that any one would do - they said they make them with up to 8 ports in them. HTH

I just bought a Belkin 4 USB for my laptop. Since my desktop is still being fixed by HP, I have been using my laptop and was getting tired of plugging and then unplugging my printer and EHD in to the available USB's. There are only three on the laptop. One is for my mouse, one for the keyboard and one that is shared between printer and EHD. What a pain that was. The one I got only cost about $20 and so far is doing just fine.

Purchased it at Staples, as I won't deal with Best Buy anymore. Very long story about that.

The powered hubs are better I agree. I have a small portable regular one (not powered) for little things on my laptop, like extra thumbdrives Etc. I got it for around $10-15 at either Staples or Bestbuy. But if I would go to plug my IPhone in to charge it through the computer, it isn't strong enough. That's where a powered one would be better.

I have a Belkin 4 hub on I use on my iMac. I mainly use it for the things I change out most often- jump drive, camera, iPhone... It was about $15 at Office Depot.

I don't typically leave things connected to it. I got it so I wouldn't have to rearrange my desk to get behind my computer to plug something in... I just have SO many gadgets! :D

Does anyone else have this problem: You straighten out all of your computer cables. Make them all nice and neat with none going in and out of other cables and twisted all around. Then all of a sudden you look behind your desk and see that they are all twisted up again.

How does that happen? Is there some little evil computer prankster that comes in the middle of the night to wreak havoc on computer cables? I don't get it. I straighten them out constantly and they always end up looking like a jumbled mess of cables.

Does anyone else have this problem: You straighten out all of your computer cables. Make them all nice and neat with none going in and out of other cables and twisted all around. Then all of a sudden you look behind your desk and see that they are all twisted up again.

How does that happen? Is there some little evil computer prankster that comes in the middle of the night to wreak havoc on computer cables? I don't get it. I straighten them out constantly and they always end up looking like a jumbled mess of cables.

Carol--I'm surprised that you're surprised. :hit-head-with-hammer:

This prankster is related to the coat hangers that multiply promiscuously in empty closets, and the one who removes post-it pads from your desk. He has a bunch of relatives, and a number of them live at our house. I'm sorry you've also got some in residence.:disappearing-smilie:

Archived