Trouble Catching On To Digital Scrapbooking...

Guest ladybellagrace

Guest ladybellagrace
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

After seeing a friend's absolutely gorgeous digital layouts, I decided to give it try. Little did I know, it's not quite that easy. I have been scrapbooking for almost twelve years and feel very comfortable with what I can do with paper scrapbooking. Why am I not catching on to the digital element of scrapbooking so easily? I have Photoshop Elements 4.0 but geesh...I'm lost. I bought the videos on this site today and I think they are really good. But it's just not clicking. I don't think I know how to navigate Elements...that may be my first problem. Because if I could figure that out, the videos would be super-easy to follow. I'll watch the videos again and again until I can figure this out. I guess I wanted to know if I was the only one to not convert so easily. Digital scrapbooking appeals to me because I have sooooooo many supplies and photos laying around....and I like the idea of catching up and getting rid of some of the clutter that a scrapbooking supply addict like myself accumulates. But it's slow going. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marybeth

Here's another great tool to help yu get started:

[url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=5301"]http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/product.php?id=5301[/url]

And it's Free!

My best advice is to just play around in PSE4. it's NOT that easy to just open up and know how to use it - you have to spend some time getting to know it. It *will* just "click" for you, though, I promise!

Guest ladybellagrace
Thanks, Betsy! I'm downloading it now! I've heard that digital scrapbookers are a really friendly and helpful bunch. And it seems what I heard is right! I do appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Marybeth

Guest heart*scrappin
It's true that learning your program takes a little time - just play with it and learn learn learn! Then, after you've made your first layout, there will be no stopping! LOL If you hit a snag, ask for help ... we're here for you!

Guest WahineBina
I'm really new to digital scrapping, too, & what's I've been doing to learn PS is this: I'll select some photos that I want to scrap, & I'll pick several different LOs (layouts) for those photos, & I'll try different effects & elements with each LO to see which ones I like the most. (Of course sometimes I get so caught up in trying different things that I don't -finish- the layouts for a while--I need to finish one of them! LOL!--but I'm learning & having FUN!)

One of the best things about scrapping digitally is that you can use the same photos over & over again, & find your favorite layout without wasting paper or adhesive, using embellishments, etc. The only thing you 'lose' is time & some computer storage space. :)

Guest faerywings
I don't know if this will be helpful at all- but I found that I can't look at other's LO's and compare them to mine. Ok, ok- I still do that, but I try to not comapre too much! :lol:
I got so intimidated when I first started that I almost gave up. I am learning as I go, and some of my LO's are crap, others I am actually sort of proud of.

i think the best thing I did, was to remember why I started scrapping- both paper and digi- in the first place: To have a fun relaxing hobby as well as something to pass along to my family who isn't really going to care if my drop
shadow isn't at the right opacity. :D

You'll catch on ... don't worry, just like Betsy said... it will just "click" at some point. Just open up and PLAY. You might be surprised at what you come up with. Use layouts you like in the gallery as a basis to "scraplift" and you'll find yourself modifying and creating your own in no time.

Ask any questions you may have... there's always someone to help with any you have.

Most important... HAVE FUN!

LOL... you'll be addicted like the rest of us in short order.....

Another thing you might want to do, Marybeth, is to purchase a couple of the Easy Pages we sell in the store. You can find them [url="http://www.scrapgirls.com/store/category.php?cat=2"]here.[/url]

Easy Pages are basically premade layouts. All you have to do is add your pictures, and some journaling, a title. If you start with one of those, it can help you get the feel for how to add something to a page, without feeling overwhelmed by having to create the whole layout. It will also give you a feel for how layers work in PSE, again, without being overwhelmed by ALL of the layers that will be created when doing a whole layout.
Once you're comfortable with adding pictures and journaling, you can also try your hand at adding embellishments, to take it a step farther, before doing a whole layout.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions through-out the process.

Guest bellagirl
Believe me Marybeth, I know just what you mean about PSE4, I thought I would never catch on to the layers thing. I wish you could track some of my questions on the message board, I`m not sure how that works. I asked some really basic questions and got good answers and now I`m loving it. One thing to do is download some pages that are ready for a picture. I did this for awhile then got bored but at least I had an idea. Another thing is ask specific questions about what you don`t understand about PSE4, nothing is too hard for these girls to figure out and don`t be afraid you will sound dumb to them, you won`t. You will be showing off those LOs in no time. :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Guest photostoryteller
Marybeth,
Hang in there! When I started out a few months ago, it took me THREE hours just to figure out how to drag one file into the file I was creating! Even the Easy Pages stumped me! I just didn't get it & I was so frustrated! I had used PSE for over two YEARS to edit my photos, so it wasn't like I was totally unfamiliar with the program. But once it clicked, it clicked! Now I'm dragging and dropping and cropping, and layers are my FRIEND. I'm SO much more productive when I work digitally than when I paper scrap, and there's so much freedom and flexibility (not to mention the supply store is ALWAYS open!!!). I've done more LO's in the last few months than I've done in the last YEAR! And because they're digital, I can share with friends and family. I can't believe it took me this long to get into digiscrapping, but I'm so glad I did. I think if you just keep at it, you'll get hooked, too. The community here is so supportive and friendly, and questions get a MULTITUDE of replies. Just keep on keepin' on!

Hi MaryBeth,

Just thought that I'd check and make sure that you started out by reading the pre-movie tutorial and then that you started watching the first movine (Movie number 1) and then the second movie (Movie number 2), etc. I know that may seem obvious, but I've had people be lost before and it turned out to be because they started watching in the middle.

The movies start you at the very beginning - creating new files and opening files etc. And then you work with one tool at a time.

The way to go about it is don't try to watch them all and then do it. It sounds to me like you need to be a little more methodical than that. So here is my recommendation to you.

Read the pre-tutorial PDF.

Then watch the 1st movie. Practice it.
Then watch the 2nd movie. Practice it.
Then watch the 3rd movie. Practice it.

If you will go at it that way, you'll have a lightbulb moment and will be on your way quickly enough!

Ro

Guest ladybellagrace
Yall are great! Thanks so much for your help. I'm going back to the beginning and work through the pre-movie tutorial...and go from there. I can't wait to show yall my first layout!

Marybeth

Everyone has already given you such good advice, I'm not going to give you anything but a big :welcome2: to SG!

• 6 months later...
[quote name='ladybellagrace' post='49292' date='Jun 26 2006, 03:23 PM']Yall are great! Thanks so much for your help. I'm going back to the beginning and work through the pre-movie tutorial...and go from there. I can't wait to show yall my first layout!

Marybeth[/quote]

Marybeth,

I found it helpful to take notes while watching the tutorials.
I would write down the title of the lesson I was watching and just write down some basic steps and I will refer back to them if I get stuck on something.

When I first got PSE4 I was so discouraged because the whole layer concept confused me. Since watching the tutorials and playing around I've become more comfortable with it. It does "click" a little more each day.

Good Luck

Mary

• 2 months later...
Guest DarleneH
Two recommendations:

1. Get some of the digital paper layouts in the SG boutique. They are super-easy to use and the layout is basically done for you; but you get to select your papers/colors and just pop your photos in the document. (The Easy Pages are great, too, like Jan said. Even easier than the templates!)

2. When I first started using PSE a few years ago, I found a class through Adult Education in our local school district. The teacher was awesome; in fact we've become good friends, and it's the best bang for your buck you'll find. If Adult Ed is not available, you may be able to find a class online or through your local community college.

Stick with it - it will be worth it! Good luck!

Guest spec_ed
I am relatively new to the digital thing too and found that just playing around on the software I'm discovering new things all the time. Also ... I relied on the SG University a lot - found it was a great help!!! ScrapGirls is a great place not only to purchase great things but also a great place to make connections and learn from others. If I'm stumped, I'll post a question on the message board (no matter how stupid I think the question is) ... everyone is such a great help! Thank you to everyone out there!!!!

• 2 months later...
One more plug for adult ed or community colleges. It's a great way to have someone talk you through things and really help you in just the way you need.

Don't be worried about finished products yet, either. As you're getting started, it's not about churning out tons of layouts, it's about learning and understanding the program, and being brave enough to experiment with it -- brave enough to fail.

I'm a master failure. :)

Good luck! It's so fun to talk to a new addict. I know it feels like it takes forever, and it can be so overwhelming, but you really will be up and running before you know it. And SG is just the place to get started.

Wow you have been given some great advice here Marybeth. Really looking forward to seing your first LO.
Don't worry about things just ask your questions here, the girls are so good and the follow up is exceptional.
I find that some times just browsing through the "suggestions, comments and how to" section of the message board is very helpful cos usually somebody has already asked the question i'm struggling with.

Guest Happy99
Marybeth, I have to agree with everyone's advice but here is what I leaned:

Faerywings Advice is absolute sound advice - Do not compare your work with anyone - if you create it - it is awesome!!!!!

The advice about "having fun and exploring the program at the same time" that is a hard one for when you just want to do something - but don't know how. This is just the hardest thing to adjust to because "it is just hard to adjust to using a program, period. Especially if you just want to open a program and use it - or should I say "just start."

Decide that you want to learn, then follow Ro's advice. Then my advice is to take a course on the software - I know that seems hard, but the fact is, I personally did not understand Adobe/Picture fixing software until I took a free course from HP at hp dot com. I did not understand really what the program was about - I needed that to understand - You probably wont need this, but it might help. I one of those people who need to know why ( you know - that aggraviting person in math who always ask why? - that is me)

Make the Scrap Girls University a bookmark.

When ever you have a question, make sure you mention what program and version you have.

Always remember that "there is no stupid question."

I wish you all the best in the world with your creative scrapbooking accomplishments.

You will always get good things told about your layouts here - ask for advice if you want it on your layouts.

There is no such thing as a "BAD LAYOUT"

If it is not fun - STOP - it should be fun!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Marybeth,
I am also pretty new and just figuring out the software. One thing I found helpful was to watch the videos with my Photoshop open. After watching one, I would just click into Photoshop and practice. If I got stuck, the video was still up in the background for me to rewatch (in a small window) with PS open. It really helped it to "click" for me.

Best of luck!
Kim M.

It takes time to learn the program, but once you learn the basics the rest will come. I am new too. I have really expanded my computer skills with scrapbooking, sometimes I feel I know so much more than my friends concerning the computer.

Archived