Moving Items Within Winphotogallery?

candyK

I am recovering from my final crash of AcdSee and started using WinPhotG. I began with "rough sorting" some items into the main category I want. I have folders created per Ro's system in '15 Things You need to know' free ebook on the boutique home page.

I have several little goodies rough sorted into the decorations folder, paper folder, etc. Then--like tonight--I have some time to go back and get the papers sorted into the subfolders for their respective colors. They do NOT move.

I cntrl or shift click on the papers that should go into ,say the green folder. I slide them over that folder,> hover and wait until the message says "move to the green folder" > I let go of the mouse. Presto,chango, oh no! the papers remain where they were and do NOT move.

I have tried release the cntrl, then the mouse. I have also tried release the mouse, then the contrl. No change. I am sometimes getting a copy of the items into the folder, but I want to move them. I want to be sure which ones I have "put away" in their correct folders.

As it is I end up checking the destination folder to see that a copy has arrived and then having to go back to the main folder to delete the item from the "rough sort" location. Grrr..

Advice appreciated! I want to make this an easier process!

Thanks,

candyK

CNTRL + Click and Shift + Click make copies or shortcuts to files, in place. It's best not to use these when dragging files.

On a regular drag & drop, I find that if I release just about the time it decides to expand that folder to show contents, it doesn't move the files. So let it expand, and THEN drop on the folder title, rather than trying to beat it. (I'm quick, and can't!)

Note: if the folder is on another drive letter, then it will copy rather than move the file. But I'm not sure this is what the problem was.

Hope this helps.

Are you moving items from folder to folder, or are you just assigning their tags? When you drag files to the tags, the files don't move. Make sure you're working from the folder system and not the tag system. One of the reasons I like WPG is because I don't have to physically split-up collections. I can tag them differently, but keep them together.

HTH!

I am breaking up the kits and putting paper (for instance) into the paper folder. within that folder there are subfolders for the colors of paper. So since all of my stuff is in a mess from previous failure, I'm grabbing with cntrl+ click all the various pieces of green paper and then want to move them into the ultimate destination-the green paper folder.

I am moving the paper into the sub folder for green. Thats when they don't move, but copy. "Rough sort " means they just got thrown into the top folder paper. Now I am trying to move them into the correct subfolder. The tag is just 'paper", 'designer name', and 'kit name', maybe holiday ie 'halloween'.

Paper

black/grey

blue

green

etc.

I hadn't thought of tagging, while leaving everything in place. It seems like a monumental task to get it all tagged. And then how do you back up the tags? Can you back up the tags? OR if I change to windows 7 am I going to loose the tags?

That's why I thought if things were at least in sorted folders I would be able to do something else with my stash! Besides sort and tag that is. Now I'm worried I will loose the tags I have, so I keep on with the folders.

I am sick to death of organizing! Its all a mess, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

appreciate your help!

candyK

In WPG, you can drag your mouse to select many images, e.g. everything in a collection, and drag it once to the tag for "collections/THISCollectionName" tag you've created. Then you can do Alphas to the alpha folder, etc. So while it takes time, you can tag MANY in a hurry, especially if you bring the preview size down as low as you can comfortable use.

I'm really struggling with what to do when I leave Vista. Windows Live Photo Gallery does NOT inherit tags from Windows Photo Gallery, and I have not yet found where Windows Live stores its database. The Vista WPG CAN be backed up.

I keep my kits together, but tag by Paper, patterns/etc as sub-tags, Color, Alphas, Layouts, Collections, Embellishments, etc. I DO love its tagging ease and speed.

I'm working on a tutorial for Windows Photo Gallery, and hope to post it this weekend. i promise, i promise.

Hmmmm...if you want your stash to be physically separated into folders, then do you have to do it in WPG? I'd think you could just do it from your regular file system. I also think it would take just as long to physically sort a stash as it would to tag it. When you tag stuff, you can "drag and drop" items into a list of tags that you determine. You don't have to actually type tags into each individual file.

Archived