I Need Help/advice Re: Mozy...

Some background...

I am in the process of transitioning from my elderly desktop to a "new to me" laptop. For now, I was planning on using the desktop as a backup, because it is connected to Mozy. I thought I could just transfer files from my laptop to the desktop periodically, and let the desktop backup to Mozy. Seemed sensible...I am not using the desktop for anything else and it can backup all day for all I care! I will be in another room scrapping on the laptop!

BUT! Today I went to put this plan into action. The desktop has been turned off for almost two weeks. I turned it on and opened up Mozy. Only to be informed that there had not been a backup in two weeks. Well, that makes sense...the computer was off. But when I told it to start a backup, it did some figuring and told me that it needed to backup OVER 200 GB of data? Thats everything that I thought was backed up already! I have not added anything new to this computer...why does it have to backup everything again? Does this mean that what I thought was safely backed up with Mozy has all evaporated while the computer was off? That makes no sense!!

Why wouldn't Mozy check for new or changed files, and then just back those up? Do I have a setting wrong? Do I have to leave the desktop on, and let Mozy run every day to keep this from happening? It's going to take several days (maybe longer) to back up 200 GB!

I am so unhappy about this...

I've had that happen with Mozy when I did any sort of reorganization of my directory. So, even though the documents weren't new, the location within the directory changed, and Mozy saw that as all new stuff that needed to be backed up. The good thing is, once it started backing up, it didn't take nearly the estimate back-up time - I'm guessing because once it started backing up it began recognizing the files as not new, but in a different location.

Just throwing that out there in case that was your situation. I will say, we had a hard drive crash and needed Mozy, and they came through for us. It stinks spending oh such much time backing up, but it's oh so worth it! :)

I think my biggest concern here (other than the time involved) is that I do not want to leave my desktop on all the time, the way I have in the past. I barely use it anymore. And eventually, I was planning to give the desktop away, and use just my laptop. I had hoped to hook up my laptop to Mozy once a week or so, on my days off, and let it back up new stuff. But if it has to back up EVERYTHING on my EHD (which has all my important stuff), then it will take much longer to back up than I can give it...

And is all my stuff still safe with Mozy if I have not backed up in the last week, or two? (the stuff from the last time I backed up...not the new stuff...)

Looks like I may have to contact them...

Aaargh!

Well, complete change of plans! I went to the Mozy website to get some questions answered and discovered that I could simply back up my laptop, rather than transfer everything to my desktop and backup from there. I should have thought of that a long time ago, but I was trying to be frugal and use the Mozy account that I already have for now, and then switch the account to the laptop when I retire the desktop. BUT! It's only 5 dollars more a month to add the laptop to my account, and it is certainly worth that to me to not worry about having to transfer all my stuff to the desktop first!

It is going to take a while to get the first upload done, but it can run in the background for now.

Yet another reason to retire my desktop...then I can drop the Mozy bill for it! But I still need to know how long something stays on Mozy if it accidentally gets erased on my computer....and if I have to back up everyday?

Aaargh! Still have to contact them! But at least the new stuff on my laptop is getting backed up in the meantime...

i have found them helpful too... and it is a bit hard to really understand what and how it all works but it does...one thing i have learned is if i go away or take my ehd ( where they back up from) and disconnect it from my computer i always suspend my backup first...this way mozy isnt "looking" for my computer and thinking i have taken files off

Suspend back up? If that means Mozy will stop looking for my computer (especially the laptop) until I tell it to restart the back up process, that could be exactly what I need. I have seen that word when I right click on the icon at the bottom of my screen, but I have not tried it yet.

Once this first back up is done, I will give that a go...thanks!

Archived