Cozy Christmas Reads

SandiC.

Ok, the weather is getting colder and wet and sometimes downright dreary. The holidays are fast (too fast) approaching. The days are shorter. There's way too much on my to do list. So what do I do about that? Curl up with a cozy Christmas read. You know the kind, the feel-good stories, the ones that don't make you think too hard, the ones that are sometimes tear-jerkers. This is the time of year the grocery store bookshelves have several paperbacks that just seem to jump in my cart. Well, this year I look at them and then download them to my kindle. At night before going to bed I like to sit in front of the fire (thank goodness for easy on easy off gas fireplaces LOL), and have a good read. it relaxing and quiet and makes the end of my day pleasant. Sometimes it is only 10 or 15 minutes.

What kinds of things do you read this time of year? So far I've got Debbie Macomber done. I always laugh at the antics of the latest with the three angels, Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy. I've got the Friday Night Knitting Club's Knit the Season and the Elm Creek Quilters' A Quilters' Holiday. Then there's Leslie Crain's Holly and Homicide for my cozy mystery.

We should write our own Digiscrapping Christmas tales. LOL. Now there's a project!

One of the most fun Christmas reads I've had is Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. Now, mind you this was made into a silly movie (Christmas with the Kranks) but frankly, it makes a much better read.

I laughed, I cried, I gained just a bit more insight of the true meaning of Christmas. It was fun and lighthearted, with just the right amount of emotional tug.

Oh, I liked that one very much Elisha. I read it the first year it came out. I agree, the read was much better than the movie. Hollywood didn't do us any big favor with that one. I like some of the real tear-jerker ones too, but mostly just very light stuff.

Some of you might also like The Autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn. It follows history and you'd be surprised who the author tells us are "Santa's Helpers" through the decades/centuries. The birth of Christ as the reason for Christmas remains the basis and the undertone. Start reading it December 1 and read a chapter a day/night until Christmas Eve - there are 24 chapters.

Some of you might also like The Autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn. It follows history and you'd be surprised who the author tells us are "Santa's Helpers" through the decades/centuries. The birth of Christ as the reason for Christmas remains the basis and the undertone. Start reading it December 1 and read a chapter a day/night until Christmas Eve - there are 24 chapters.

Oh, I might have to find that one! Love the idea of a chapter a day! :) And I love historical stuff and anything to do with Ol' Saint Nick! :D

Charlotte McCleod's first Peter Shandy mystery, God Rest You Merry, has the funniest opening chapter ever. It may be out of print now, but worth finding. (Her original version was a short story, which has also been published in a collection.)

I have to reread Dicken's Christmas Carol every year.

And I can't recommend it because I haven't read it yet, but I just bought Christmas Cake by Lynne Hinton, a sequel to Friendship Cake.

I would also recommend Unwinding the Christmas Machine- I think that is the title - in fact, would buy it in bulk and send it to all of you if I could. Reading this years ago, and it was still out last time I looked although the title might be off a bit, totally changed the way we celebrate Christmas. I am still the most relaxed person I know during the holidays, with family traditions we cherish. One is celebrating Advent, by the way, and our more traditional format has now gone digital on our family website, bluecloak.net, if you would like to see it. My husband's pet project, and he would love some visitors. It has music, scriptures and art for each day of Advent.

I was coming to recommend Debbie Macomber, but I see you already have that done, lol! I'll be watching this thread for ideas, too. I borrowed an Agatha Christie book from the library called Hercule Poirot's Christmas, but I haven't started it yet.

I don't have any good Christmas books (except for Dicken's.) I love to listen to Patrick Stewart's reading of it. I need some more. Got a list started. This may be a dangerous thread to watch.

I would also recommend Unwinding the Christmas Machine- I think that is the title - in fact, would buy it in bulk and send it to all of you if I could. Reading this years ago, and it was still out last time I looked although the title might be off a bit, totally changed the way we celebrate Christmas. I am still the most relaxed person I know during the holidays, with family traditions we cherish. One is celebrating Advent, by the way, and our more traditional format has now gone digital on our family website, bluecloak.net, if you would like to see it. My husband's pet project, and he would love some visitors. It has music, scriptures and art for each day of Advent.

I just looked this one up. It is now called "Unplug the Christmas Machine." It looks really good.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished "The Christmas Sweater" by Glen Beck...Loved it...really makes you stop and think and realize what your priorities should be...Anyone else read it??

I'd recommend the Hannah Swensen murder mysteries by Joanne Fluke. They're lightweight, but fun and include recipes. There is at least one that takes place at Christmas. The first one, I believe, is "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder." I've just started the William Monk series by Anne Perry. She writes Victoria era mysteries. Not necessarily a cozy Christmas read, but good stories.

And I'd really recommend "The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel about the men who were given the job of recovering stolen art and other items during WWII. I never realized the looting occurred on such a massive scale. Very interesting book.

Well down here its our summer so when I go to the beach I enjoy a good read lying on the beach relaxing :)I dont usually have time to read during the day and normally read going to bed. I enjoy all sorts of books but I do enjoy Bryce Courtney books. He writes about Australia mainly and they are exciting reads. I am reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult at the moment as I love her books :) I will have to look up some of these reads as I havn't heard of some of them.

These aren't what I would call a "cozy Christmas" read, but I have been reading a series by Terri Blackstock (NewPointe 911 Series) about the fire and police department in the small town of Newpointe, Louisiana. If you like a good mystery with a practical "life lesson" at the end, then this series published by Zondervan Publishing House might tickle your fancy!

• 2 weeks later...

The Christmas Shoes It's based on the song, or vice versa. I mailed it to my mom as soon as I finished it. I'd read it again, but it's on a slow boat somewhere between Europe and Alaska. Moving is tough around the holidays. This was a wonderfully heart-warming and heart-wrenching story. It's a quick read too.

Merry Christmas from Anchorage!

Donna VanLiere has written a sequal to the Christmas Shoes, and at least one more Christmas novel - all very good.

THANK YOU! I can't wait to go to Barnes and Noble and look for these!

Our family just finished "The Christmas Barn" by C.L.Davis. It will now be a tradition at our house. It is a lovely, sweet and simple (and very well told...and wonderful when read aloud) story of an Appalachian family around Christmas time. The chapters are short and leave you hanging so very nicely (it was great to see the girls salivate to hear the next chapter). We laughed together, cried together, and have now added a few new phrases to our family vocabulary as a a result of reading this book. There is hint of O'Henry to it in places, but it is not stuffy at all. It is a wonderful family book. We're going to buy it (used probably since it is no longer in print) for next year.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I just finished "The Christmas Sweater" by Glen Beck...Loved it...really makes you stop and think and realize what your priorities should be...Anyone else read it??

This is one of the books I have downloaded to my new Kindle and hope to read next week when I am on holidays...I have to say the Kindle2 is my best Christmas present ever, even with the limitations on books available due to Australian territorial copyright issues and the fact that I have to pay for 'free' books and I have very very limited internet access...still love it.

Archived