Print Pages Or A Photobook?

*bugsmama*

Which do you prefer and why? I am in the process of making pages from a trip my family took this spring. My hope is to get the pages done in the next couple of weeks and have books ready for Christmas. We'll see if that actually happens or not, LOL! Anyway I am trying to decide which is easier (and cheaper) and if those are mutually exclusive. I have used Shutterfly for years to make photobooks and am really familiar with their quality/layouts/etc but when I uploaded some of my new LOs they look weird (I'm guessing it's the bleed, which I have no idea how to fix just yet). So now I am wondering if it would be better to just print my pages and then put them in traditional scrapbooks. If it makes any difference I need 5 books or probably 20 pages each. Why do you use the system you use? Is there a specific reason you chose one over the other? Any info you could share to help me decide would be great.

Oh and if you want to list your fave place to print feel free. I know there are a billion topics on this but it is nice to see if anyone's opinion has changed as some of those threads are really old!

I've only printed books at Shutterfly not individual layouts. One of my books with layouts has already begun to come unglued on several pages so I'm not very happy about that since it doesn't get much viewing. I don't know the cost of individual pages but I'm pretty sure that you get a discount for multiple copies of the same photo book. Just know that when you upload layouts it's not considered a photo book and isn't eligible for any of the photo book promotional discounts. Good luck with getting them done whichever way you go. P.S. Remember to add in the cost of albums if you get the individual pages printed.

So far I've only printed individual pages from Shutterfly and ScrapbooksPlease.com but I love the idea of printing photobooks. Personally, if I waited until I felt like a book would be "done" I would never get anything printed...that's why I print individual pages and add them to my album as I make them.

I have done one photo book, but have printed the rest of my pages individually.

I don't do books for a couple of reasons. One, like Kacie, I don't know when I am 'done' to be able to print a book, because I am just scrapping everyday stuff. I also don't scrap chronologically, and would want bound books in order. However, it sounds like you have a good 'subject' for a book, in that your trip is something finite.

Another reason I don't print books is that my children are 3 and 6. If a book page gets ripped or ruined, I can't just replace that page like I can with an album.

Another reason I have not done more books is because of the bleed factor. I don't design my pages with that in mind. So, if I wanted to put them in a book, I would have to go back through all of them and check the edge details or put them on a solid background and shrink them down a bit.

I pay 99 cents to have an 8x8 page printed (on a 8x10 canvas) at www.colorinc.com. I pay about $10 for an album and probably 20 cents (?) for a page protector which holds 2 pages.

HTH!!

I like printing books better. My experience with albums -- mostly postbound -- is that they don't hold up well to handling. I haven't had an issue with having enough pages to make an photobook. I just call it something like "My Latest Scrapbook Pages" or "Scrappin' the First Half of 2009." I love the feel of the books, and the way they look on the shelves. I've done quite a bit of comparison too, and I don't find a big difference in cost between printing books and printing pages.

Having said all that, I have been wanting to find 8x8 and 12x12 three ring binders so I can try that route. I do like that printed pages often seem heavier, better quality paper than that in books. Anyone know if three ring binders are made with scrapbookers in mind?

I would like to add that I did a 44 page album for my Dad's 85th birthday which I had printed by Shutterfly. Everyone who looked through the book always thought there were two pages rather than one so I think the weight of the paper was good.

Archived