Just Want To Sing The Praises Of Lr And Shooting Raw

bjc

i just took a bunch of photos of dd on the brooklyn bridge...it was late afternoon with a great sunny blue sky.... but i had forgotten to check my white balance which had been set for indoor light..... thanks to lightroom and having shot the pics in raw i could easily just correct that with hitting the auto white balance in lightroom....yeah!

Woohoo!! Let's hear it for RAW!! I still have to figure out how to shoot in RAW ... oh, and to pick up the courage to shoot in RAW as well. Probably would need LOADS more memory too as the last photo shoot I did I took 1,400 photos!!

Can't wait to see your LO's with the backdrop you said!!

Bobbie, so glad you have your new camera and are having fun with it. I've been hit and miss on the Board lately, so I missed the news. Were you thinking about a Canon 7D? I remember you weren't sure if if was supported by LR. Glad to know you've got them working together. I'd love to see those photos!

I got my new camera last week (Canon T1i) and I've also been playing around with shooting in RAW, but mostly indoors. I don't have LR, but have been using the RAW editor PSE 7 has, as well as the Canon program that came with the camera. I saw Tiza's message about Amazon having LR for $125 on Friday way too late, and hadn't opened my Amazon email for that day either - so I missed that. Maybe they'll run it again sometime soon. I did go online to make sure my camera is supported. And in the future, I'll pay better attention to my sale emails!

I was outside yesterday afternoon (first pretty day we've had in a long while) practicing the Sunny 16 Rule shooting in Manual, but kept getting interrupted by neighbors wondering why I was standing there taking the same shot over and over again! Maybe the weekend is not the time to be out in the front yard taking practice shots! I'll have more privacy during the week when most people are at work. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what more Lightroom does for RAW files than Elements already does;

I always shoot RAW +.jpg and PSE5 fixes all my errors (except motion blur - if anyone knows a way to fix that - let me know LOL!)

I saw the Beta offered for free, but wonder why I need it???

Thanks for any enlightening!

I've been wondering the same thing - whether I need it or not. For right now, I'm saying not! I do think that Lightroom has many other features, other than processing RAW photos that are very nice. Organization, batch stuff, etc...I'm not sure what all it does - but since I'm not interested in it right now, I haven't done the research. Not knowing what I'm missing is probably saving me money ;-)

As you are, I'm very pleased so far with the RAW capabilities of PSE 7.

Ah but Sarah it is FREE for more than 3 months <Grin> I cannot pass that up; (Yes there is some Scots in my ancestry!!)

I have now got my 2009 photo folder supposedly imported into LR but cannot figure out where to go from here?

If you go to the adobe site, somewhere there are a few video tutorials on lightroom and one of them is kind of on overview of the features and you'll get a better idea about it. There are a couple of good books out there, including Scott Kelby, although I found that one a little difficult to get started with. I think the tutorials are for LR2, probably don't have them out since LR3 hasn't bee released yet. Also if you go to the NAPP site you may find something. google it and see, I'm sure there are some out there.

Archived