Lightroom 3 Beta

kidsrgr8

Hey all of you Lightroom lovers...and those wanting to try it!

Adobe has released their Lightroom 3 Public Beta. I know not everyone enjoys "beta", but for those who are interested...here is the info. You would have free access to the beta version until April:

find info here

The Lightroom 3 beta program is available to the public, so that means anyone with an Internet connection can download it and start putting it to the test. You do not need to own (or have tried) a previous version of Lightroom. The version of Lightroom 3 beta software available for download is offered in English only. You can download the beta and use it until the product expires. The current Lightroom 3 public beta will expire on April 30, 2010.

Have fun! I LOVE Lightroom! ...and Katherine Weaver's SGs Lightroom presets!

Have you tried this yet? I have the original version on my computer, so will it interrupt that I wonder? I've been thinking of upgrading, but this will obviously help me decide if I should or not!!

Thanks for this!

• 3 weeks later...

I got it last week and I am trying my hardest to talk hubby into getting me it when it comes to purchasing the new one! It is super cool software go try it ladies and Gents!!

IT'S FREE!!

• 5 weeks later...

CJ, yes, it does. I shoot with a Nikon D90 - have since 2004. I use Lightroom 2 now for all my photo organization and most of the post-processing, and have tried LR3 Beta. I LOVE the new beta, it doesn't interfere with LR2 (although any catalogs you create in one don't transfer to the other, so remember that!), and will be upgrading when the official LR3 is released.

I import my photos and convert them to DNG, which is a non-proprietary format. It has a bunch of advantages over the camera's native RAW (Nikon NEF) file formats - its file size is about 20% smaller; any changes you make to the file are stored IN the file, not in an extra "sidecar" XML file; and this file type is able to be read by many more readers than the native camera formats.

When I import, I choose to Copy Files as DNG, and at the same time, I back them up to a separate EHD. That way, I will always at least have one backup copy. For my Convert to DNG options, I have chosen not to embed the original RAW file - it's redundant, and takes up space (defeats the purpose of having smaller file sizes).

Let me know if you have questions! I LOVE Lightroom! Plus, then you can play with Katherine's awesome Presets, which make life SO easy to get cool effects for your photos.

Before I start playing in "develop" I need to understand how to use it to "Organize" please?

I used the import and pointed LR to the folder containing all my 2009 photo's - this included

sub-folders, RAW & .jpg's, but what I see is a lot of individual thumbnails; have I done this wrong or is there something else I should be doing?

Archived