6 replies to this topic

#1 Scrapin Pat

Scrapin Pat

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

Last year about this time there was either a thread or a sample in the gallery of making covers for a journal or diary. I've been thinking about doing this for my grand daughters. Can anyone find that thread or has anyone done this and have some tip? If you scrap a cover for a plain hard covered book how did you attach it? Other ideas for this concept?
Posted Image

#2 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,948 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

I can't help with finding the thread you are talking about, but I sort of remember it. In the past when I have made covers for books I have glued them on. I did a travel journal a couple of years ago, and the cover came off halfway through the trip. I think the cover I glued it to was too slick to take the glue. I wish I was more help.

gallery_15063_3635_42373.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#3 Smiles

Smiles

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

You might have to lightly sand the underneath cover to make the glue adhere if it is slick.
One of the paper scrapping companies had a whole line of products to do this. They recommended glue sticks, but I've not had a whole lot of luck with glue sticks, myself. Maybe they were too old.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 angelaNussbaum

angelaNussbaum

A strange pixy monkey NUT

• Members
  • 12,389 posts
  • Personal Statement:Im a nut, what can i say? I love making ppl happy!

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

The journals i cover are kinda slick... but i use tacky glue. I think its much easier to use :) so far no pull offs have happened. I have once used modge podge over the cover and around the edges to seal one ... that was kinda fun :)

Angela N.
(fyi, this is fun! my girls pick a paper, then they cover their own journals.

#5 shellbw

shellbw

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

There was also a tutorial on covering composition notebooks. I have done that to make holiday planners and journals. I use a spray adhesive that is like rubber cement. Messy, and you have to cover the work surface, but it lasts.

For one, I created a ladybug theme cover for my sister. Then I stamped ladybugs in the corners of the pages. Turned out pretty cute, and she liked it.

#6 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

I've done composition book covers too. I measure the cover and add about 1/4 " allowance all around except the side that will be next to the binding, to be trimmed off as needed, just for my background. Then do my design but keeping all the main elements at least 1/2 inch from the edge. I make sure I let the ink dry on the printed page overnight before gluing. I've used modpodge with good results, brush it on with a foam brush. I print on everyday paper, but I imagine cardstock would work too.
I think there was a newsletter with a tut a long time ago. its a fun project and you can make them really cute. I do mine for my grandkids and they thought it was pretty cool to have one with their favorite photo on it.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Vaughnde

Vaughnde

Quietly Crochetin' and Scrappin'

• Members
  • 31,085 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

If you don't want to use modge podge you can use YES glue as that one is so much better than glue sticks and when warm you can sorta brush it on. Its wonderful and lasts forever! I know cuz I use it and I still have plenty left!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My SG Gallery My Blog I scrap with PSPX1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users