Viewing Contents Of A Folder In Icon?

TheresaK

When I used a PC I could set the icon of the folder to display little pictures of what was in the folder. I can't find a setting on the Mac to do this, and basically gave up, but I thought I would just try here to see if you wiser ladies had ever figured out a way to do make that happen.

Hi Theresa! I know what you are talking about-never been a PC user but have seen screenshots of what it is and it's neat. I am sorry to say I don't have an answer for you. I wish that there was some answer-looks like a neat idea! Maybe someone else will chime in. How are you doing with your Mac? How long have you had it? What do you have? I have a 15" MacBook Pro. Been a Mac user for many years. Well, Happy Holidays, take care, Judy

Hey there-took me forever to check back here, but I also have a 15" Macbook Pro, and I'm really enjoying the functionality as opposed to my extremely finicky PC! I've had it about a year now, and I'm thinking that I need to replace my desktop with a nice shiny new Mac, too. I sort of miss scrapping on a big screen!

Well, I have a nice, big 24" monitor (SyncMasters 225BW) that I use when I am home, to use with my MacBook Pro. I have PSE8 open on the 15" screen and then have Picasa with all my digi goodies on it on the big monitor. The new 27" iMac is mighty tempting though. There have been issues with cracked screens and video rendering-there is a backorder on them while Apple works out the kinks. But if you have an Apple store near you, go and oogle at them! Glad you are enjoying the simplicity of your Mac! Sorry I couldn't help you with the icons on folder thingy. Happy Holidays!!! Judy

If someone figures this out, please post. I'm also a new convert to mac (MacBook Pro 15") and I do miss that about the pc. Also adjusting the size of the thumbnails would be good too. The size they are is just a little too small for my aging eyes. and I'm with you, when its time to upgrade the DT, its going to be an iMac. Not quite there yet though. I do like the preview with the list view, but I like the thumbnails to look at a bunch of things at once.

I think that you (KellyCron) are talking about in the Finder--->View-if you have a Finder window open, then you can choose to view everything as Icons, List, Column or Coverflow. If a Finder window isn't open you can choose Show View Options (at the bottom) and there you can choose the icon size, etc. Just a little tip for our new Mac users! Judy

with Finder open, press command+j, you will get a window. Check the "show icon preview" box.

Icon size is the first slider in the box as well Sandi!

HTH!

Okay, this has changed my life! Thanks, Kelly, and others who posted in this dialogue.

Shelley

with Finder open, press command+j, you will get a window. Check the "show icon preview" box.

Icon size is the first slider in the box as well Sandi!

HTH!

Okay, this has changed my life! Thanks, Kelly, and others who posted in this dialogue.

Shelley

I don't think the original question was answered though. I'm still thinking there has to be a way to have a picture of what's in a folder as the icon, rather than the folder itself. I can't figure it out either though, and I've had my iMac for 2.5 years now.

Deb

I have been able to put a picture of a brush set on the standard brush icon. I did that for awhile and then got lazy. I don't know if it would work for a folder or not but this is what I did:

just now when I went to the ScrapGirls Boutique and searched for a brush set that had the standard brush set icon-I searched "sweetness" and it brought up AMC Sweetness Brush Set.

I clicked on it and hovered over the brush set picture so that it got larger-right clicked and selected Copy Image.

Then I went into the folder where I have all my brush sets and highlighted AMC Sweetness Brush Set and did Command + I (get info) and clicked once on the icon at the top right to highlight it and then did Command + V (paste) and that pasted the picture of the brush set.

I haven't tried it on a folder but maybe that would work the same way. Well, anyway, that is my tip for brush sets, etc. Happy New Year to all! Judy in cold, cold Maryland

• 1 year later...

I've done this for 'most' of my folders but some of them don't show up properly and i can't for the life of me figure out why! It would be super nice to open my kit folder and be able to see clear previews of all it's contents! grrrrrr

I have been able to put a picture of a brush set on the standard brush icon. I did that for awhile and then got lazy. I don't know if it would work for a folder or not but this is what I did:

just now when I went to the ScrapGirls Boutique and searched for a brush set that had the standard brush set icon-I searched "sweetness" and it brought up AMC Sweetness Brush Set.

I clicked on it and hovered over the brush set picture so that it got larger-right clicked and selected Copy Image.

Then I went into the folder where I have all my brush sets and highlighted AMC Sweetness Brush Set and did Command + I (get info) and clicked once on the icon at the top right to highlight it and then did Command + V (paste) and that pasted the picture of the brush set.

I haven't tried it on a folder but maybe that would work the same way. Well, anyway, that is my tip for brush sets, etc. Happy New Year to all! Judy in cold, cold Maryland

I was looking up some apps for Mac and ran across this one. It's in the New Mac App Store. Its called Telling Folders. It's $1.99 and allows you to put a picture on your folder. I haven't tried it yet as I just found it.

But I wanted to pass it on since I remembered this post. if you just search Folder in the App store you will come up with a small selection. Of that there are 3 programs would work.

HTH :)

Dot, thank you so much for the heads up on Telling Folders app. Its definitely worth a couple of bucks. Its super easy, just drag what you want to the folder icon in the app and then drag the folder in. I'm having a blast getting some of my folders decorated. You can leave the image in normal view, or you can make it embossed, like the fronts of the folders as it comes on your mac. I'm going to have to spend some time in the mac app store...looks like tons of goodies there.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello girls,

I'm so very sad that this is at this moment the only bummer within the iMac I own since spring. I have all my scrapping supplies on an EHD, and in every folder a "folder.jpg" with the preview of the content. I have about 200 Gb of stuff I think, or maybe even more... No way I can go and change all the icon previews by hand... I have searched the internet and it seems at this moment the only way to change all icons is by adding code in the automator, which I'm not planning to do at this point, it seems too hard and I'm scared I'll ruin things. I just want my old situation back, where I could browse through my folders and could see all kits at once... Very disappointed indeed.

If anyone knows about a simple solution, or if a next version of MAC OS will have this option, please share!

Meta

The Netherlands

There is a free program called Img2icns that I have. All you do it drag the preview to the little program window, then drag the

folder to the program window and it puts the icon on the folder. The free version will do this, no need to upgrade. :)

I downloaded this app, and tried it. It looks very easy, but I don't understand the second step. I have an image placed in the box in Img2icns, and then I want to place this image on an existing folder. How can I do that? I'll try further, and if I'll find the answer, I will post it here.

Meta

It seems I did something wrong the first time. It is really as easy as GodBlessAmerica points out. First drag the image to Img2icns, than drag the folder to the same box. Now I only have to find the time to do all these folders.......

Thanks for the heads up, this program does the trick pretty fast!

Meta

Archived