Pse 8.0 Question About Styles ...could be a dealbreaker for me :)
Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:12 PM
My question is this: In PSE 5.0 I am able to put all of my paper styles together in a folder, all my metals in another folder, all my shadows in another and so on... When I looked at the Layer Styles in PSE 8.0 none of them are in folders. Does this mean I can't place my styles in folders and group them together?
If not....I won't bother keeping 8.0! Having my styles grouped together really saves me a lot of time.
Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:00 PM
I use Addomatic to have the styles placed into PSE 8, then go in and change the .xml files to put them into paper, glitter, metal, etc. I keep the original files in their own folder on my desktop (for backup and to see what I have.)
When I open them in PSE 8, they show up under their own categories.
I have never had separate files in the Layer Styles section of the Program Data of PSE, in 8, 7, or 6 (I am a compulsive upgrader lol). So if you mean folders there, I can't help. If you mean the categories once you open PSE 8 and want to use the styles, yes, you can keep them in categories. (I would go mad if I had to scroll through them individually.)
... Forest Witcraft
I am not shopping; I am supporting graphic artists.
Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:06 PM
Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:34 PM
Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:54 PM
lol - don't you love this kind of help? But I do love PSE 8 and taking a minute to put the styles into the categories I want is not as time consuming as it sounds.
... Forest Witcraft
I am not shopping; I am supporting graphic artists.
Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:59 PM
Siggie by Rosemary-with a tiny touch added by me ;)
Colorectal cancer awareness-please schedule your colonoscopy today
Please visit my gallery
Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:02 PM
Wow Karina! That's so sweet - thank you!
Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:17 AM
Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:30 AM
Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:05 AM
Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:01 AM
I had so many problems with Vista, I use a lot of processing power when I am designing and my computer was always crashing on me. I have only crashed once since having Windows 7.
If you want to try out PSE 8, Yiu should be able to install the trial version of it (from the adobe website) still keeping PSE5 installed. You will get 30 days to try it and see if it is worth it for you
Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:44 PM
Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:14 PM
Good luck with your Windows 7. I have had mine loaded for several weeks and am ready to tear my hair out! Everything is jumbled and discombobulated. Had no problems with PSE 8.0 until I was forced to switch to Windows 7. Haven't seen any particular wonderful changes just annoying ones. The only good thing is it will read Vista while XP won't in all cases.
Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:07 AM
Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:26 AM
Hi Janine! I am using PSE 5 also, and just upgraded (Well, new puter altogether)to Win 7 PRO (strongly suggest higher version) I installed PSE5 in normal way at first, and it looked and felt strange and some of the tools appeared to be missing, so I uninstalled and re-installed in XP(SP2) compatible mode. This solved most of the problems, although You will see in another thread here - that I am still looking for some answers!!!
Several programs required the compatible mode, my little (read old) Creative PC Cam for instance, my old Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet which I cannot live without, my accounting program (not upgraded since 2006 and no need to as long as OS accepts it!
So just a suggestion that you save that little extra and go for Win 7 PRO - I spent a year trying to accomodate to VISTA on the laptop, and in the end went to the expense of buying and installing XP Home on it; but I really like Win 7, and just scratching the surface.
Oh - and it doesn't come with an e-Mail program either so unless you stay with web mail, you would have to migrate to OUTLOOK (not Express) or use Thunderbird. I'm using Firefox as a browser and Thunderbird for one e-mail addie and OUTLOOK for another - so I have gone through a few changes - and we are still having network problems - but I hope some day we can get all the computers and laptops on 7 (that will also solve the network problems)
><\\\\'> Still swimming UPstream!!!
Nikon D90-SLR and PSE8 are my Toys!
Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:42 PM
1. Locate and open your PSE folder containing .ASL style files and .Metadata.XML files.
2. Add you ScrapGirls styles to this folder if they are not already there.
3. Copy ANY style's .Metadata.XML file and paste it back into this folder.
4. Open the metadata file, and delete the content beginning with and including <item id = "1"> tag
and ending with (not including) </PSEContent>.
In this picture, you'll be deleting the area highlighted in yellow. Original Metadata file.png (253.98K)
Number of downloads: 75
5. Locate the Category line (line 5 in my files) that looks like:
<category value="$/content/category/type/WowNeon=Wow Neon" />
6. On the left side of the = sign, type your new style group name, e.g. 0Metallics. Do not include spaces.
7. On the right side of the = sign, type the name you'd like to be visible in PSE, e.g 0 Metallics ScrapGirls. Spaces are ok. Do not delete or add additional quotation marks. The 0 on both sides assures this group will be at the top of the style list, so it's easy to find.
8. Save the file. Rename the file to exactly match the name of a style you'd like to include in the group.
To include CBA_SSTools_14K_4101.ASL, name the metadata.xml file: CBA_SSTools_14K_4101.metadata.xml.
9. Copy and re-paste the newly created file. Rename the new copy to another style you'd like to include in the style group, e.g.
10. Carefully repeat step 9 for each style to include in the group.
11. To create another group. Open a copy of the metadata.xml file, and revise the category line to include something like: 0Glossy=0 Glossy ScrapGirls" Save the file.
12. Rename this new file to match a style in the new group, e.g. VRA_SSTools_Jelly_2101.metadata.xml.
13. Copy and rename the file created in step 12 for each style you'd like to include in this group.
14. When you are all done, locate your Thumbdatabase.db3 file, usually two folders above the layer styles.
15. Delete or rename ThumbDatabase.db3
16. Start PSE and go fix dinner. On my computer, with only 14 styles added, it took 12-15 minutes.
17. When you are done, click the Layer styles button, and open the dropdown. You should see a list like this: stylegroup.jpg (41.66K)
Number of downloads: 74
18. When you click on a style, you'll see all the associated styles. Here's my current metallics style group: MetallicStyles.JPG (25.72K)
Number of downloads: 49
I've tested this in PSE 7, on Windows XP and Vista. Let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy the results as much as I am already!
Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:48 PM
p.p.s You can rename the ASL files before you start, if you like. So EHI_SStools_SStyles_Vellum5401.asl was renamed to EHI_Vellum_5401.asl and then I matched the metadata.xml filename to it.
Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:37 PM