It Is Here!

michgirl

YEAH! I live in Small Town, USA and the UPS guy knows when he has a package for me, to bring it to my work instead of my house, so he just dropped off my whole box of camera Stuff! Outstanding! Got to take a peak at everthing and hold the camera, it felt great. I am amazed the carrying bag is so BIG - WOW!

I got my battery charging... after work I am going to a friend's for wine & soup, afterward my DH wants to take me out to our lake property and show me what he got done (we bought a real fixer-up on a local lake for our retirement and he is doing all of the work) - so I will be able to at least snap a picture or two (first I gotta figure out how to put the lens on, turn it on and at least get to Auto).... So looking forward to it!

Thanks to all for the encouragement and support, it helped relieve lots of pre-purchase jitters!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I reccomend a thing for you? Go to ebay and buy your self a battery or 2 back up. They are cheep like 10 bucks and to me having 3 batteries is so much better than 1.

Wahoo you are one lucky lady!! I know you will love it! Congrats! and most certainly enjoy!!

Thanks for the battery tip! I did get the starter kit package and it does include an extra battery - good to know I will need it and possible another! WHEEE!

And I hope I get a picture or two good enough to scrap :-)

Thank you so much!!!

Thanks, Girls! I love, love, love my new camera - don't know what I am doing yet, but just using auto I got some great shots. And my night shots, just took a few and it was amazing! I am so impressed :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

I got to get the camera early in order so I can figure it out and actually use it on Christmas (good excuse, huh?)

Once I lean what I am doing, it will be FUN! :party-smiley-048:

Thanks again -

Oh Robin it is soooooo exciting getting a new camera! I had that delight year before last and I still get a thrill when I click that little button!! Have heaps and heaps of fun playing and what a great time to get a camera before Christmas. Really looking forward to your photos especially of your retirement property!!!

Thanks to all! I really appreciate the support and words of encouragement!

Last night I was feeling overwhelmed by the whole thing, wondering if I was in over my head and thinking I should just stick to the P&S; however, I started reading the manual, just one page at a time, and figured out a couple of things and felt much better!

It will be a camera to grow into, that is for sure - so will be reading books, watching DVDs and lurking here to learn all that I can -

Have a great day to all!!! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Robin, I can just feel your excitement here! congratulations...you've opened a door to a whole new world. Just keep doing that one step at a time thing, its going to take some time to master (or even be really familiar with it), And its ok to shoot on auto for awhile. when I'm in the middle of a fast-paced, want to get as many shots as I can, event (like opening Christmas gifts, auto is just fine. Also, the program mode lets the camera do a lot of thinking for you too. Since Christmas is coming up so fast, try to just get the feel of it, practice changing lenses, make sure both your batteries are fully charged and just have fun looking at the world through a viewfinder. LOL. Pay attention to composition, take your pics from different angles, concentrate on the subjects, let the camera do the work of choosing the settings and I bet you get some terrific shots.

Robin, I can just feel your excitement here! congratulations...you've opened a door to a whole new world. Just keep doing that one step at a time thing, its going to take some time to master (or even be really familiar with it), And its ok to shoot on auto for awhile. when I'm in the middle of a fast-paced, want to get as many shots as I can, event (like opening Christmas gifts, auto is just fine. Also, the program mode lets the camera do a lot of thinking for you too. Since Christmas is coming up so fast, try to just get the feel of it, practice changing lenses, make sure both your batteries are fully charged and just have fun looking at the world through a viewfinder. LOL. Pay attention to composition, take your pics from different angles, concentrate on the subjects, let the camera do the work of choosing the settings and I bet you get some terrific shots.

Thank you, Sandi, for the advice. I am going to concentrate on a little bit at a time, and learn and do as I go along. It will be a VERY LONG time before I am ready for the 7D! Whew, can't imagine. Hope you are enjoying your new camera, too~

Robin,

I'm so glad you've gotten your camera and are working your way around it! Can't wait to see your pictures!

You're going to be very comfortable with in just a short while. When you're ready to get off Auto, go on to Program, that way you can set a lot of things, like White Balance and ISO, while still letting the camera select the Aperture and Shutter Speeds.

It is amazing in low light, isn't it?

We've just made an unexpected trip and I really needed to travel light, so only took my Point & Shoot. Now back home, I feel like an absolute beginner again with my T1i! I'm afraid I forgotten a lot of what I had already learned! Oh well, it's always better to learn something twice!

Robin,

I'm so glad you've gotten your camera and are working your way around it! Can't wait to see your pictures!

You're going to be very comfortable with in just a short while. When you're ready to get off Auto, go on to Program, that way you can set a lot of things, like White Balance and ISO, while still letting the camera select the Aperture and Shutter Speeds.

It is amazing in low light, isn't it?

We've just made an unexpected trip and I really needed to travel light, so only took my Point & Shoot. Now back home, I feel like an absolute beginner again with my T1i! I'm afraid I forgotten a lot of what I had already learned! Oh well, it's always better to learn something twice!

Sarah -

Glad I am not the only only feeling like an absolute beginner! I did receive my Magic Lantern DVDs and Digital Field Guide today, and just going to open them. I want to try a few things with the program mode, but not sure how much I will be able to do before Christmas. I am still learning about the lens and which to use for what and where to set it and that's about as far as I got. I do like the auto buttons for Portaits, Landscapes and such. That makes me feel like I am trying a little something :disappearing-smilie:

But I know it is going to be slow, but that's OK, I want to digest as much as possible and a few of the shots have been great. I even did one of my Christmas tree without the flash and it created just the right look. I am going to love this camera.

One more questions for today, Sarah, do you shoot in raw or jpeg?

Thanks and have fun with yours! Please keep posting any tips please!

Robin, the RAW gives you more information to work with when you bring your photos into PS or PSE to "process", sort of like developing film in a camera. I don't think you can get RAW when you use auto, but you can with program. RAW files are bigger so you have to consider storage room on your hard drive and also back up for your photos. So much to think about. Doesn't that camera just feel good, sitting in your hands? I remember when I first ventured into DSLR land.... So exciting. And every step I take further on the path is just as exciting. I have to admit, I probably didn't take it off auto for several months after aI got it. And that's ok, because you'll still get some amazing shots. The more that camera is in your hands, the better your photos will be. Keep up the good work. I have my digital field guide for the 7D, but not my magic lantern guide yet. Trouble is....no time to play until after the first of the year. Ugh! I want to play now.

Robin, the first day I got the camera, I took several photos in RAW just to see how they would come out and how I could work with them. Since then, I've switched it back to JPEG because I've been taking lots of practice shots - and quite honestly, not keeping a lot of them! I'm one of those who deletes lots more shots than I keep - as advised by Scott Kelby and others.

And also, with the ability of opening JPEGS as RAW in PSE 7, I haven't felt it was really necessary. That does a very good job for correcting any White Balance problems I may have. So far....

But when I'm not "experimenting" so much, I'm sure I'll be shooting more in RAW.

Sarah and Sandi -

I think I came to that conclusion after researching it; I have enough to learn and experiement with for a bit. I will try it, just to see what it is like. I use CS4 and ARC, I do a lot of editing in ARC and it does such a good job. So camera raw is on the back burner for now.

I watched the Magic Lantern DVD for quite a while last night and it was great! I was so happy that it makes it much easier! I did a little reading in the Field Guide book, and that is going to help so much! With the holidays, not much time to read but I am taking lots of practice shots and trying to see the effects of different lighting. I think that is the first thing I want to work on, knowing how to use lighting.

This is going to be an exciting journed, I can tell already!

Thanks, Girls, for all of your input -

Now I took my camera outside and took some shots, I never used continous before and was I amazed to be able to take so many shots in succession! No more waiting for each picture and refocusing :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Sorry - had to post - will try to not be so excited..... :party-smiley-048::disappearing-smilie:

Post away! We love the excitement and are delighted to share in yours! About the shot of your Christmas tree in natural light, did you do this on Auto? And if so, can you look at the display and see what settings Auto set for you? Just curious...

We came home on Monday to see the effects of the snowstorm over the weekend (we're in Northern VA and got over 20 inches) and found a huge icicle hanging from the corner of our garage. I've been outside taking photos of it. I "think" I got a good close up of the tip with a very shallow depth of field. Haven't looked at them on the computer yet. I was also choosing different White Balance settings. Some on Sun and some on Shade. I've never had a "shade" setting before and I think I'm going to really like it for certain situations.

Enjoy!

Post away! We love the excitement and are delighted to share in yours! About the shot of your Christmas tree in natural light, did you do this on Auto? And if so, can you look at the display and see what settings Auto set for you? Just curious...

Sarah -

Wasn't sure I would be able to figure out how to get the information for you, but I did (!)and I even have a basic understanding of what it all means :hit-head-with-hammer:

I used the Auto setting for No Flash, and the settings on the pictures are: F/4 - 1/25S - ISO 1250 and 18-55@ 24 MM.

I would like to see your icicle pictures, I haven't gotten to shallow depth of field, although I have tried it without success. It is fun just trying and seeing the results.

Thanks for your help!

Sarah -

Wasn't sure I would be able to figure out how to get the information for you, but I did (!)and I even have a basic understanding of what it all means :hit-head-with-hammer:

I used the Auto setting for No Flash, and the settings on the pictures are: F/4 - 1/25S - ISO 1250 and 18-55@ 24 MM.

I would like to see your icicle pictures, I haven't gotten to shallow depth of field, although I have tried it without success. It is fun just trying and seeing the results.

Thanks for your help!

Robin,

Thanks for the settings. This evening, I'll try to get a shot on Auto and see what my camera sets for me, and then also try our the settings you gave me above. It will be fun to compare.

I'll see if I can attach a copy of my icicle photo for you here. I'm never sure if I can do it.

Oh my goodness - that is BEAUTIFUL! What lens did you use? I like that. This camera is fantastic, I cannot believe what a difference it makes.

Thanks for sharing your photo and I look forward to hearing how you make out on your Christmas tree pictures!

Sarah,

So I am venturing out of the basic and auto modes and going to the creative modes, played with some of the settings and loved the different results. WHEW - there is going to be plenty to learn -- I will never say I am too old to learn, the older I get, the more I enjoy learning. I am so looking forward to this....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Man, Robin, when you jump in, you really jumped in. I'm so impressed. In just a few days you have gotten further than I did in a year. LOL. You are really on your way. You'll get some great photos tomorrow. I'm getting a real kick out of your explorations into DSLR land. This is good, you're challenging me to keep working on improving my techniques and that's good. My project tonight is to document the storm. I started taking photos of the front yard every hour or two as the weather keeps getting worse and worse.

Man, Robin, when you jump in, you really jumped in. I'm so impressed. In just a few days you have gotten further than I did in a year. LOL. You are really on your way. You'll get some great photos tomorrow. I'm getting a real kick out of your explorations into DSLR land. This is good, you're challenging me to keep working on improving my techniques and that's good. My project tonight is to document the storm. I started taking photos of the front yard every hour or two as the weather keeps getting worse and worse.

Sandi -

I am just trying to keep up with you girls! LOL - I was just following along on a web site and trying out the new modes, not sure if I am ready to do it on my own, but will keep reading, researching and practicing!

That is a neat project - tracking the storm, good idea! Do the settings and modes come to you by instinct now, or do you have to plan? Just wondering....

THANKS!

Oh Robin, I'm so excited you got your camera and are already experimenting so much with it. You sound just like me a couple of years ago! LOL I can't wait to see your new photos...I need to find a day to just go out and shoot some photos, haven't done that in a long while! Of course with the COLD weather, it makes me want to wait until SPRING! LOL.......... Show us what you've done so far! :yippee:

wowie...enjoy the new camera and the learning process... what camera did you get? ( it must be stated here but i missed it) cant wait to see your lo with photos from the new camera

Thanks so much! I am enjoying it immensely. I got the Canon Rebel T1i with the two kits lens and tomorrow I am getting the "nifty fifty", so I will have plenty to keep me learning for a long time.

I will have to post my Christmas layouts, got to use the new camera! YEAH! It is great.

Archived