Recommendations For Our Book Club

jkjundt

I help to choose the books for our church's book club and it's almost time to choose a new set. (We choose six months at a time.) I'd love to hear any recommendations you have. Since this is a book club through our church, we need to stick to books written by Christian authors or published by Christian publishers. We alternate between fiction and non-fiction so recommendations for either are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

The best book I've ever read is "The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life" by Hannah Whitall Smith. The version I prefer was revised and updated by Harold J. Chadwick, but I think any would be really good. It's a book that changed my life and I think I need to read it again. It was written in the late 1800s, but it's still so pertinent for today. And Hannah writes like she's talking to you. It's lovely. :) We actually read the short biography in the back before we got to the rest of the book. It helps to know that the author had a very difficult life yet lived what she believed. It even has questions after each chapter. :)

Wish I lived a bit closer. I would LOVE to participate in a book club! :D

We've been reading "The Jesus Chronicles" by LaHaye and Jenkins, who wrote the Left Behind series. We have read Mark's story, John's story and Luke's story. I think Matthew's might not be out yet; at least we haven't seen it. They are fiction, of course, but seem to me to be well researched.

I've just read a series of fiction books by Joel Rosenberg. There are five books, beginning with "The Last Jihad", very well-written and, in my opinion, better-written than the Left Behind series. The setting is modern-day Middle East. If you're looking for non-fiction, Joel has also written a book called "Epicenter".

Another great series of historical fiction is done by Brock and Bodie Thoene. They've written a LOT of books, and each leads into the next. Your group could take a year or two to go through the series. You may like their AD Chronicles, which take place in the time of Jesus. Here's a link to their website: Thoene Books FAQ

Let us know what you decide!

Ok:) With your blessing, on the more liberal end of things there is:

Jesus for the Nonreligious by John Shelby Spong (of all his I've read, this has the best summary of his theology, etc, and in no way is meant only for the nonreligious.)

The First Christmas: What the Gospels Really Teach about Jesus' Birth and

The Last Week, both books by the team of Marcus J. Borg & John Dominic Crossan.

Religious Literacy by Prothero

And for more recommendations, a man in my church who is a retired physicist/professor and is extremely well-read in the subject of religion has a book review website with scads and scads of books:

What Fred Has Read

Some of these I've studied at our church in my adult Sunday School classes over the last 3 or so years and have really enjoyed the discussions.

:)

Edited to add:

Here's Fred's review of The First Christmas review

I asked my girlfriend about your request (she leads the book club at her church as well). Here are her suggestions:

one of thebest ones was by john macarthur called tale of two sons. nonfiction. we did the shack by william p. young, and 23 minutes in *** by billweise. and another favorite was"the cross; 38,102 miles" by arthur blessitt.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will take a look at all of them that have been mentioned and figure out if they're a good fit for our group. Feel free to add more suggestions if you think of them!

Thanks again!!

• 6 months later...

I don't know if this is the kind of stuff you are looking for but...We are in the middle of "Hedges" by Jerry Jenkins(I think) in our small group. It is about marriage and is geared towards guys, but has produced a lot of good conversation as couples. The girls in my group are also starting "So Long Insecurity" by Beth Moore, we went to this conference back in April which was a lot of fun and the book, so far, has been great! I am starting to understand why I feel the way I do sometimes. I would highly recommend both of these.

I am just finishing Fr. James Martin's "The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything" on incorporating Jesuit spirituality into your life: finding God in EVERYTHING, contemplatives in action, practical, grateful attitude. It is really wonderful, and he doesn't write it only for Catholics, but for all seeking to follow God. I really like it, and the ideas are very helpful.

"Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by Stasi and John Eldredge is a wonderful book. There is a study guide available as well. You didn't mention if this was a womens' group. Probably wouldn't work if it is a mixed group.

I'm reading So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore. It's her new book. It seems like a topic most everyone can identify with. I am enjoying it.

Archived