Nervous About Doing My Windows 7 Upgrade

MLLatscrapgirls

I don't remember ever upgrading my operating system just by itself, but Vista is driving me crazy, and both my desktop and laptop came with a free upgrade. I bought the recommended EHD for a backup, and I read the directions. Every time I come online, it seems someone has come up with a new situation I never thought of - new printer driver? PSE won't reinstall? will every registration number have to go in again?

So here is my question: Would I be better off to just unplug the desktop and take it to someone and pay them to do this upgrade? Or will that still leave me with all of the issues like printer drivers to solve on my own afterwards anyway?

Actually, I do have another question - are they just trying to cover themselves with all of these warnings? Did anyone really lose everything on their system when they did the upgrade?

Thank you!

Marylou

No, don't pay anyone to do it for you. I thought it was fairly easy. I updated my laptop from Vista to Windows 7 and did not and have not had any issues at all. (knocking on wood!) Make sure you back up everything and follow the instructions. It does take a long time. Mine took about 6 hours with all the updates. Good luck!

You definitely want to backup everything just in case. That's with any change you make. Even when you do updates you should back up all your important stuff regularly. All brands of computers have there differences and sometimes an update may clash with a certain setting just in a certain brand. So it's safer to continually back up all things. Don't learn the hard way and lose precious pictures or documents that are not replaceable. With that said, I'm with Sandy, if you can do it upgrade the Windows yourself. Any issues you may have you are going to have no matter who does the upgrading. I have two printers and still don't have one working due to the driver not being compatible with Win7. But at least I can use the one while I wait. I must say I had high hopes for the upgrade but not an extreme difference for me from Vista.

doing it yourself is totally do-able, you just have to prepare yourself that it will take awhile and then you will have some 'adjustment' periods. You know, kindof like when you move to a new place and you have to put your things into new spots and it feels uncomfortable at first. Like the silverware drawer is not quite where it used to be! And then you can't find something that you knew where it was in the old place but can't find it in the new. Same deal. It can be frustrating!

just make sure you make your own backups. write down your serial numbers for various things. Think of all the things you need passwords for and any other things like that.

we found out the hard way that HP will not support the blu-ray driver with a windows 7 upgrade. So you might run into some surprises like that. Hopefully not! Good Luck! Hope it's smooth and painless!

You can do it! Even if you had someone else install the upgrade, you would still have to download and install any drivers that you would need. The need for the driver usually depends on the "age" of your printer, etc. to make it compatible. Some things won't need drivers, but others might. I had to download a driver to get the scanner component of my all-in-one to work on my Mac. It worked perfectly and I can scan now. Plus, I was so proud of myself for fixing it on my own! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Hope your upgrade goes well, whatever you decide!

The nice thing about upgrading from Vista to W7 is all your settings are saved so you will have very little to reset. There is a tool you should run prior to installing which will tell you what devices will be automatically updated, what you will have to do manually and what is not supported. I printed this out after I ran it and there was very little I had to do manually.

You should not have to reinstall any programs, you are doing an update NOT a full install, make sure you check the proper box for UPGRADE!

The only other thinks I can suggest from when dd and I did ours is to unplug any ehd or thumb drives as the upgrade scans everything and it will be faster with these unplugged.

Let us know how things go!

doing it yourself is totally do-able, you just have to prepare yourself that it will take awhile and then you will have some 'adjustment' periods. You know, kindof like when you move to a new place and you have to put your things into new spots and it feels uncomfortable at first. Like the silverware drawer is not quite where it used to be! And then you can't find something that you knew where it was in the old place but can't find it in the new. Same deal. It can be frustrating!

just make sure you make your own backups. write down your serial numbers for various things. Think of all the things you need passwords for and any other things like that.

we found out the hard way that HP will not support the blu-ray driver with a windows 7 upgrade. So you might run into some surprises like that. Hopefully not! Good Luck! Hope it's smooth and painless!

Your good!! I like your analogy like moving and it will take some adjustments!! Good one AManda!

Archived