January Jumpstart 2010!

AngRoCamp

It's time to kick off the new year with fun and focus on scrapbooking! And a few prizes thrown in never hurt, right? Join us on this month for "Jumpstart January"! This is a message board game and challenge to start your year with fun and focus on taking time to scrapbook regularly despite the little speedbumps of life. When the month is over you'll have completed several layouts and been challenged and treated to some fun along the way.

A member of the Welcoming Committee will post a mini-challenge/task every day from January 1-30 in this thread. Don't let the idea of daily tasks intimidate you. When we say "mini" we do mean it. Our goal isn't simply to keep you busy, but to direct your focus through baby step tasks that will lead you to completed layouts. Some tasks will require message board participation, email responses or gallery posting. Read each daily task carefully to see what is required of you (if nothing is specified, then it is an "on your honor" task and we'll trust that you did as required- tasks will often build upon one another and we'll see in later tasks that you completed earlier ones.) Just as in life, there will be a few speedbumps along the way, but we'll always help bring your focus back to scrapping!

Those who complete all tasks and submit or post required participation by 11:59 p.m. MT on January 31st will be entered in a drawing to win one of three $10 Gift Certificates to the ScrapGirls Boutique! Those who complete just the layouts will be entered in a separate drawing to win one of three $5 gift certificates. (Those who complete all tasks will have their name entered in both drawings!) Winners will be announced in the newsletter on Saturday February 6th.

There will be two threads for this game. This main thread will be for the purpose of posting the daily tasks and where you should post links, etc that are required when specified. The daily tasks will be bold, large font and purple for ease of searching as each day's task is added. (We'll update the first post regularly with the daily tasks as well.) The second thread will be used for general chatter about the game.

Task #1 - Clear your memory card and organize your photos in your preferred way.[/color]

Task #2 - Spend a few minutes in your scrapping software learning how to do something new. (hint: check out SGU, Ro's videos, the MB, your software’s “help” tab or software manual or simply play around with some buttons you’ve overlooked previously.)

Requirement: Come back and share what you learned in this thread.

Task #3 - Think of something you've always wanted to know how to do in digiscrapping but haven't taken the time to learn yet. Post a question on the Message Board asking how to do that thing you've always wanted to know how to do!

Requirement: Post in this thread and include your question and the link where you posted your question.

Task #4 - Create a layout using a photo/photos from Task #1 and the thing you learned in either task #2 or task #3.

Requirement: Post your layout in the gallery and come back to this thread and link us up.

Task #5 is Speedbump #1! It's great to be focused on tasks and goals, but sometimes it's just as important to have fun and allow a little distraction into our lives. Sooooooo...it's game time! I've hidden one of my favorite little embellishments on a virtual dart board with 100 spaces. Try to find the embellishment by guessing numbers between 1 and 100. The first to guess the correct number gets bragging rights and we all get to enjoy the thrill of the hunt! The only rules are 1) you can only guess one number per post and 2) you must wait for one other person to post a number guess before you can guess again. Post guesses here in this thread. Have fun! (I'll be back by 3 p.m. MT to let you know if anyone has guessed correctly!)

Task#6

Take a photo of something really special you have been given. (can be anything from an item to maybe some special encouragement)

Task#7

Check out the boutique or your SG stash for a journaling block or books and write about what/why the photo you took is so special.

Task#8

Find some word art in your SG stash or the boutique that fits your special theme and link the collection you find it from back here in this thread.

Task#9

Do a LO with your special photo, your journaling and your word art. Post the LO to the Blessings Gallery and share the link in this thread.

Task #10 is Speedbump #2: Go to the blessings gallery and "leave love" (post a comment) on 10 layouts in there.

Requirement: Come back here and leave a link to your favorite one.

Task #11

Search the gallery for five layouts you consider particularly fabulous (mark them as favorites so they're easy to return to – be sure to leave love!).

Task #12

Choose one of those five layouts from task #11 to scraplift. Begin the scraplift by choosing a SG product to use on the layout. Product can be something you already own, something you purchase new, or a freebie.

Requirement: Post a link in this thread to the product you've chosen. If your product is a freebie no longer available in the boutique, please link us to the collection or product that the freebie coordinates with (look at the name of the freebie - it will have the designer initials and the name of the collection it came from)

Task #13

Scraplift the layout you chose in task #11. Try to duplicate the composition of the layout as best you can. Don't post your LO to the gallery just yet.

Task #14

Add one thing (besides photos) to your scraplifted LO from task #11 that makes your layout uniquely yours.

Requirement: Post the LO to the gallery and share the link to your LO AND the LO you scraplifted in this thread.

Task #15 is Speedbump #3! – Check out one of your favorite designer's bio and gallery!

Requirement: Come back and share something about her/him with us and link us to one of her/his layouts!

Task #16- Take 4 photos of one object, using different camera modes or shoot from different angles (lay on the floor and shoot up or stand above an object and shoot down).

Task #17- Choose your best photo from the previous task and use filters, styles or actions to make it fabulous!

Task #18- Search the boutique and find 3 Scrap Girls products to compliment your fabulous photo.

Requirement: Share links to those products in this thread.

Task #19- Create a layout using one of those products and your fabulous photo and post it in the gallery.

Requirement: Share a link to your layout in this thread.

Task #20 is Speedbump #4!

Visit a member's profile, learn a bit about her and leave a comment on her profile.

Requirement: Come back to this thread and share a tidbit of info you learned about the message board member from her public profile.

Task #21

Scan or locate at least one photo from YOUR past. (Past can be defined however you like.)

Task #22

Using SG paper or a journaling block, journal about the photo you selected.

Task #23

Using the theme of your photo as a search word (ie birthday, school, Christmas, etc) in the Gallery, find three layouts to draw inspiration from (be sure to leave some love while you’re there!)

Requirement: Share links to those three layouts in this thread.

Task #24

Using your photo, your journaling and your inspiration, create a LO.

Requirement: Post LO to the gallery and share link in this thread.

Task #25 is Speedbump #5! – Gallery Posting challenge!

Requirement: Post your current number of GALLERY posts in this thread and then leave TWENTY comments on layouts in the gallery! Return to this thread and post your new number of gallery posts when you’ve completed the task and link us to one of the layouts you left love on that you thought was particularly fabulous.

Task #26

Find one of your layouts that you were either never fully satisfied with, that you created as a beginner digiscrapper, or that you created on paper but haven't done digitally yet.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CLARIFICATION: If a task doesn't say the words "Requirement: post (fill-in-the-blank) to this thread" you're not required to post your completion of a task. You can certainly update on your progress in the chat thread, but this thread will get awfully long and we want to make it as manageable as possible for people to find tasks and post required things, etc. So this thread is for three things:

1- Welcoming Committee will post daily tasks in this thread.

2- You will post certain required info in this thread (if the task specifies that)

3- If you have game-related questions that you need WC team members to answer you can post them in this thread.

Thanks!

Task #2 - Spend a few minutes in your scrapping software learning how to do something new. (hint: check out SGU, Ro's videos, the MB, your software’s “help” tab or software manual or simply play around with some buttons you’ve overlooked previously.)

Requirement: Come back and share what you learned in this thread.

A simple but really awesome and helpful thing for me..I found a "Check Spelling" option in the edit menu (CS4). I'd been frustrated that I didn't have a spellcheck. Now I just need to find out if I can turn it on to check automatically while I type. Anyone know?

i had been getting frustrated with cs4 and the palette panels set up so i had learned on the mb how to set up my own workspace...picked the panels i always want with the tabs ( layers, styles, actions, characters) the ones i use the most for my scrapping.... and then went to window...workspace...save workspace...now i have my customized panels

and btw... am enjoying learning new stuff from above postings...thanks ladies...who knew spell check... kuler...

Task #2-I learned that you can extend the background of a photo...maybe to make it square or to fit on a LO page better. on your photo layer use the rectangle marquee too to select an area on the edge of the photo then ctrl(cmd)+T to transform and drag it out to the size you want. You can do this on both sides or top and bottom. Works best with a plain solid background, but the dragging out could create some cool effects too.

Oh I like the CMK feature in CS3 I recently learned about it....have a photo open and switch to cmk by image>mode>cmk use it for commercial printingall the time my photos seem to come out so much nicer and not so dark. IMO!!

I've never realized that I can use ANY brush I have installed when using the Clone Brush! I've just always used a round or square brush. This opens up lots of opportunities for not only making better "cloned" areas using things like distressing brushes, but for more "creative" cloning/stamping! I can do this in PSPX2 as well as PSE7.

Duh! Who knew? Wonder what all other kinds of goodies I'm missing because I get so comfortable in my little rut?

This is a good exercise.

I've never realized that I can use ANY brush I have installed when using the Clone Brush! I've just always used a round or square brush. This opens up lots of opportunities for not only making better "cloned" areas using things like distressing brushes, but for more "creative" cloning/stamping!

Duh! Who knew? Wonder what all other kinds of goodies I'm missing because I get so comfortable in my little rut?

This is a good exercise.

thanks...i need to try this...thinking outside the (brush) box is a great idea...

I have CS4 and I didn't know you could access Kuler from Photoshop and Illustrator... Window --> Extensions ---> Kuler..

Then I found out that it was there in CS3... who knew LOL smile.gif

goodpost.gif

What a great hint! Thanks for this!

I am learning to use CS4 and I learned that I can change the font on multiple layers by selecting all of the layers I want to change and then using the character panel to change the characteristics I want to.

I didn't even know that the help menu gave suggestions about what I might want to know more about! Doh! hit-head-with-hammer.gif What a great idea!

I've had PSE 6 on my Mac for at least a year and haven't used it because it has so many new things on it. This challenge encouraged me to open a photo and play around with the different styles and effects and get more comfortable with the changes. Thanks...I know I'll like 6 better, but I needed a push to get started with it.

I always check out fonts by entering my type and then highlighting the font name and using my mouse to scroll through the loaded fonts. Who knew (until now) that you could use the CTL+H to hide the "mask" covering the text so you could actually see what the text would look like in each font! (I knew about unhiding guides, etc but not the "mask" hiding the text. I love it!)

Task # 2

When you are working with the Brush tool and want to pick up another color, you don't have to switch to the Eyedropper, just press the Alt key to temporarily change the Brush into the Eyedropper. Click once on the new color. You'll see the Foreground chip change to reflect your new color choice.

I have a BIG favor for this Task# 2 please:

When you give the new thing you found out, could you just make sure you add what program you use so that I know if I would be able to do the same thing or if I'd spend an hour trying to do something that my program doesn't do.

I do see alot has done that but it would really help me alot to learn from this thread too, if everyone could do that....I'm sorry to be a pain, but I'm deteremined to learn ALL I can to really know my program!

Thank you bunches!!

thankyou.gifthankyou.gifthankyou.gif

I use PSE7 and have not used the gradient tool very much. So I pulled up the help section and found out some interesting things that I have been trying. There is way more to using this tool than I had imagined, so I have actually practiced making my own noise gradient. It is fast and fun and now I am off to see where I can use my new gradient!

Task #2

I've been using CS4 since October, but had not used the Clone Tool. I found a video demonstrating the use of that tool, and played around with it a bit. Also, let me say I love reading what others have posted, and have learned a lot from them.

Wonderful task and thread! Been trying out all the above tips! F.U.N.

Task #2: Found that in CS4 I can view my LO fullscreen with a black background by going to View>Screen Mode>Full Screen Mode. I see it so much differently in this view, without extraneous distractions. ("F" or Escape to leave the screen.)

Have to go now, back to playing with the SMART BRUSH!!!!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW!

I tried something that I have been meaning to try, but keep forgetting! I used PSE6. I have been making several 4x6 layouts for an ABC book I am making. I noticed that the PSD files are quite large and I knew there was 12x12 paper hanging out there in space that I couldn't see, but it was there. After I was done, I cropped it around the edge. The saved file size went from 165Mb to 26Mb! I'm glad I finally got around to confirming what I suspected!

I tried something that I have been meaning to try, but keep forgetting! I used PSE6. I have been making several 4x6 layouts for an ABC book I am making. I noticed that the PSD files are quite large and I knew there was 12x12 paper hanging out there in space that I couldn't see, but it was there. After I was done, I cropped it around the edge. The saved file size went from 165Mb to 26Mb! I'm glad I finally got around to confirming what I suspected!

In situations like this, I prefer to resize the paper to 6x6 before dragging onto the 4x6 template. Then the print on the paper is in keeping with the page size. Just don't forget to NOT save the changes to the paper so it'll stay 12x12!

Archived