"nifty Fifty"

MargotW

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya it is really slick I can't wait to get outside a bit but all yo could see now is that white stuff vuzzing around so I played in the house I am also waiting for the cat to wake up LOL

Ya it is really slick I can't wait to get outside a bit but all yo could see now is that white stuff vuzzing around so I played in the house I am also waiting for the cat to wake up LOL

If you post a sleeping cat taken with your new toy - I'll post one of my sleeping dogs!! LOL

Caren - are you excited? I think you need to show a little more enthusiasm!!! Where are the pictures????

It is snowey LOL COld and 25 degrees outside and the cat is the only willing participant and she is sleeping LOL You wan to see ugly photos of me? Oh No you won't LOL Waiting a fe minutes!! till my hubby better get home!!

Sarah it is super cool go ebay cheeper by at least 15 bucks and free shipping LOL I like that part big time!

Caren - are being an enabler again???? Tempting Sarah to buy something she really, really needs??? Bad girl! lol

Sarah, you really need to get on this bandwagon and come play with us!!

Ya Sarah what Margot said!! Moi be a enabler? no way!!

Caren - are being an enabler again???? Tempting Sarah to buy something she really, really needs??? Bad girl! lol

Sarah, you really need to get on this bandwagon and come play with us!!

I will! I just ordered CS4 with my saved up money. I should be able to get the lens soon.

If you post a sleeping cat taken with your new toy - I'll post one of my sleeping dogs!! LOL

LMBO!!! I will!! making hotwings in the deepfryer with Fresh cut potatoe chips ok Ok I know not healthy but it sounds yummy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Woo---Hoo! I now belong to the Nifty 50 club. That lenses was part of the present and it was on backorder but I got it yesterday!! I can't wait to use it!!

I love my nifty fifty. What a great lens for so little $$. Takes a little getting used to though. I've been using my 60mm macro for portraits as well. I love them both. At some point I'll be wanting to get the 70-200 2.8, but i'll have to save for that one too.

Well, I still don't have my "nifty-fifty" yet! I was just about to order it last week when Pioneer Woman began talking about her new 35mm 2.0 lens! She's all but given up on her 55 - especially for her kitchen food shots! She says it is even good for close-up people shots and she showed plenty of super examples. Of course, it's over 3 times the cost of a 55mm 1.8, so I don't imagine I'm going to be getting one anytime soon LOL!

Just wondered if any of you had heard about this one?

Well, I still don't have my "nifty-fifty" yet! I was just about to order it last week when Pioneer Woman began talking about her new 35mm 2.0 lens! She's all but given up on her 55 - especially for her kitchen food shots! She says it is even good for close-up people shots and she showed plenty of super examples. Of course, it's over 3 times the cost of a 55mm 1.8, so I don't imagine I'm going to be getting one anytime soon LOL!

Sarah - haven't heard of it but at 3 times the cost, I don't want to!! LOL

I have seen it, Sarah. It is very nice! My niece does photgraphy, weddings and families and portraits, and her advice to me for purchasing lens was to at least get a 2.0 lens. They of course, are pretty pricy, but the 35mm isn't that bad compared to most of the others.

I am just starting to learn the two lens that came with my camera, plus the nifty fifty, and that is a challenge.

Did you get the two lens with your camera, Sarah? I am finding I like the telephoto lens for close-ups, it does pretty good actually.

party-smiley-048.gifparty-smiley-048.gifparty-smiley-048.gif HAPPY DANCE TIME!!! SPRING IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!party-smiley-048.gifparty-smiley-048.gifparty-smiley-048.gif

Caren, you always play nice, and I guarantee, I'll have my "nifty-fifty" lens when we meet again in the early spring! Williamsport, right?

That is the plan! 68 days to spring!

Robin, yes I have two lens for my camera; the kit lens, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, and a 55-250 4-5.6. And I like the second one for close-ups too, if the light is right! I'm still trying to make good decisions on which to use when! And now I'm thinking about ANOTHER lens! I must be losing it!

I'm going to even hold off on the "nifty-fifty" until I know these two a bit better.

I was surprised at the price of the 35mm 2.0 also, expensive, but at around $350, not near as expensive as a lot.

I need to more studying about lens on cropped frame cameras like we have, as compared to full frame cameras. I read a lot about it at one point, thought it was interesting and something I should understand, but was hesitant to try to cram that into my brain along with everything else!

Robin, yes I have two lens for my camera; the kit lens, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, and a 55-250 4-5.6. And I like the second one for close-ups too, if the light is right! I'm still trying to make good decisions on which to use when! And now I'm thinking about ANOTHER lens! I must be losing it!

I'm going to even hold off on the "nifty-fifty" until I know these two a bit better.

I was surprised at the price of the 35mm 2.0 also, expensive, but at around $350, not near as expensive as a lot.

I need to more studying about lens on cropped frame cameras like we have, as compared to full frame cameras. I read a lot about it at one point, thought it was interesting and something I should understand, but was hesitant to try to cram that into my brain along with everything else!

Sarah -

Certainly understand you wanting to hold off on the 50mm, as the two kits lens give plenty of options and lots to learn! I do like the 50mm, as it is very light weight and love the boekh it produces. So easy to use under natural lighting conditions. But I have noticed with the other lens, when I have the settings just so, it does a nice blur on the background, or I am able to skip the flash. The flash on the T1i does have a great range and does much better than the lens on my Canon G7. I also use the Speedlight, I got the 270EX, so it wasn't nearly as costly as the others and I do like using that one with my camera. Now I just need to make it all come together, knowing which lens to use when with what settings and flash or not and what flash... But I love learning it and figuring it out...

And I know what you mean about only understanding so much at once.... there is so MUCH! I am finding, now that I have had my camera for a month and played, that going back and re-reading the materials I read in the first couple of weeks are so much easier to understand and hence, I get more out of it. I am loving the camera and all of the modes and everything. Hope you are enjoying yous as much as I am!

I am interested in knowing about the effects of these lens on a cropped frame camera, so please share when you can! Love hearing all about it!

sarah..did not know about the 35 mm..is that for a canon? oh dear now i will have to go to b and h site and check that out...as for the full crop and the lens... if it is a 35 mm and you dont have a full sensor, which i dont have either..than the lens is more like a 50 ( i am just guessing, dont know the exact proportion but i am sure you can find on internet) ...every lens we use is really more close in that the mm it says since we dont have a full frame camera...does that explain it?

So let me ask what that exactly means - does it mean if I am at 50mm, my picture will be cropped as if I was using an 80mm lens? (I am getting less width on my view?) So to achieve 50mm, I would need to step back? I think I was thinking it backwards, meaning if I had a 50mm lens, it was same as a 35mm lens...

Oh I am so glad we have so many wise-ones on this board, it is fantastic!!

Thanks!

Archived