"nifty Fifty"

MargotW

Yes, Tina! Thanks for refreshing my memory - I have since looked back in my T1i book and found where I actually did the math! I was just unsure this morning to state whether the mm we are really getting is more or less.

So....Yes, Robin, I believe that using a 50mm is will be as 80mm, and with a 35mm you would be getting more of a 50mm look.

I think.... ;-) Numbers are not second nature with me so I'll just have to process this by experiments and experience!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Robin and Sarah. Yes, you stated it very well Robin! (It's a tough concept to grasp.) The 50mm lens on a full frame camera gives a wider view than it will on the Rebel. The smaller sensor on the APS-C cameras crop the image. Even so, the 50mm performs beautifully with the Rebel. You may find yourself needing to step back a bit (put more distance between the camera and your subject). It's great for portrait shots from about 4-6 ft away but leave yourself room behind to back up if needed.

Ok ladies....I know it's not hard....but yous have completely confused me totally! hit-head-with-hammer.gif

I don't have a regular full camera? Lens aren't accerate on my Rebel?

Di, you, and most of us here - non-professionals anyway - do not have full frame sensors on our dSLR cameras. Not to worry though, it's really not a big deal. And yes, your lens will be accurate on your camera.

This is really information for people who come to dSLRs from a full frame 35mm film background. Some of that information is interesting to know in certain cases, but totally unnecessary for taking good photos and enjoying the cameras that we have.

In Canon cameras, the "Mark" series are full frame.

Di, you, and most of us here - non-professionals anyway - do not have full frame sensors on our dSLR cameras. Not to worry though, it's really not a big deal. And yes, your lens will be accurate on your camera.

This is really information for people who come to dSLRs from a full frame 35mm film background. Some of that information is interesting to know in certain cases, but totally unnecessary for taking good photos and enjoying the cameras that we have.

In Canon cameras, the "Mark" series are full frame.

whew.gif Thanks Sarah....thats so good to know! My poor brain is on overload lately!

• 3 weeks later...

My Nifty fifty just arrived and I have pestered every member of the family by taking pictures. I'm so happy with the results already, but am going to have to play. I love how I can get more natural light with it.

My Nifty fifty just arrived and I have pestered every member of the family by taking pictures. I'm so happy with the results already, but am going to have to play. I love how I can get more natural light with it.

Glad you love it! I really like mine, I use it a lot. It is quite a capable lens - ENJOY!

Archived