Best for a beginner??

Guest divascrapper

Guest divascrapper
For someone who is a beginner and has never used software for scrapping what is a good program? Something easy but with good functionality, too.

Here's my favorite for a beginner, I still use it the most, though I'm not a beginner: either The Print Shop by Broderbund or Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Designer Deluxe (also by Broderbund.)

They are both under $30., though The Print Shop has a range of products from Essentials to ProPublisher and each level has more bells and whistles and costs more.

I think both of those programs are very easy to use, the learning curve is low, the shadow tool works on everything, not limited like in other low end products, and the Photo Workshop tools are ok. Granted, a lot is preprogrammed, so we aren't talking Photoshop!

Let me start posting on the gallery and you'll see what I mean, I use these programs to layout my scrapbook pages with, though I use other programs to create my page set designs.

Photoshop is the graphics industry standard, and it's what i use. But I had hands-on experience before I started scrapping, so I wasn't really a beginner.

The "watered down" version is Photoshop Elements and is very good.

I haven't really tried others, but some titles to look for include Digital Image Pro, Picture It! and I'm totally blanking on others...

Guest krasch
I am not sure about those programs personally. I have never used them. That said - I think it all depends on your technical savvy. I started with PSP 7. I am now using PSP 8 regularly, while testing the newest version - PSP 9. While the learning curve was a little more than I would suspect specific scrapbook software packages, I understand that you have much more room for growth. I learn something every time I open PSP.

Also - there is much talk about Fotofusion. Now - for me - I couldn't use it. Frustrated me no end!!! BUT - I have heard from many people that thought it was easier than PSP.

There are so many programs out there - and many of them offer free trials. I would down load a couple of them (I know that PSP and Fotofusion do), and play around with them. There are a lot of tutorials online as well - for any program that you chose. You are sure to find something that hits your level of learning and understanding as well as raises the bar a little. If you are like me - it is the challenge that drives me!

HTH,

Kristal

Guest just_v
I have to agree with Varanda on the Print Shop software. If you're a computer newbie, this software is excellent. It has a lot of "step through" features to really guide you until you're ready to move onward and upward to more tech savy software. Plus the price is low, so it's a cheap investment for a fairly feature rich program!

V

• 1 year later...
Guest Kimerella
Hi,

I just wanted to say that no matter what software you decide to use, see if there is a good tutorial or even classes on an on-line site. I have the HP Creative Scrapbook Assistant. I decided to get it, as I am just begining and don't know if I want to spend a lot of money on software, yet. I have just found out that the HP site has a free CSA on-line class being offered for a limited time (but they offere a lot of free classes all the time). I was excited to see this offered and realized I probably should have made sure that it was available [i]before[/i] I bought the software.

Also, I guress, if you buy so much HP ink at Staples the CSA software is free. I sure wish I would have known this before I paid my $30, but oh well... I don't know the details or if this is still true, you would have to check with Staples.

Kim

Archived