Which Ehds Are Powered Through The Computer?

I'm looking at getting another EHD to better organize my stuff. I currently have 2 500 GB WD Passports and I have been very happy with them. I'm looking at getting another 500 GB or possibly increasing to a 1 TB. One of the things I really like about the Passport is that it is powered through the USB connection and doesn't require an additional power cord. Are there other EHDs that do that as well? I am looking at the HITACHI SIMPLEDRIVEIII EXT 1TB External Hard Drive and the Iomega eGo 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive, but can't be certain from the descriptions whether it requires additional power supply.

Anyone have experience with those? Or others?

This isn't a recommendation, but a thought. I too am trying to figure out what to do for space. We are looking into a network drive. Not as complicated as a server, but would still be accessible to all my computers. When you run out of space you can add-on internal hard drives, which are cheaper and safer than external hard drives (think child pulling on ehd cord and it crashes to the floor.) Plus some of those portable EHDs for traveling and back-up.

I have a 320 WD Book and it does have a power cord PLUS it plugs into the USB Port on the front of my desktop. Was talking to dad today and we decided that since this one is almost full I'll go up to a 1TB EHD from WD maybe.

I use the Western Digital Passports. I have three of them and use them to back up different types of things. I love them because they are small and hold a lot. The computer powers them. I have some little hard cases that have room for the hard drive and cord. They are swell for traveling!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=western+digital+passport&sprefix=wester

I have 500 G but they now have 1 T for on sale for $199 at Amazon! Awesome.

WD My Passport has a firewire drive for Mac users. There is a 500GB one on Amazon (see Ro's link above.) Firewire is much, much faster than USB. I'm trying to figure out if I can reformat it for Win.

Archived