Back Up

Well I went to WD and asked them about the files being backed up as ptl. files. They recommended a format of the ehd, and a fresh install. So I have been doing that for two day's. There are still files being backed up as ptl files. I can back space up to the png and click on the file and then it shows the image, but not the file name. It just gives a number and the png. This happens mostly in the template files. I found I can fix this, but am curious if anyone else has this problem?

Wendy Rae

Wendy Rae - I'm absolutely no help on this one. I've never heard of or seen a ptl file!! Sorry to hear you're going through this and hope it's worked out soon for you!

Hi Teri, I used to have Corel Paint Shop, but I have uninstalled it some time ago, about a year ago. I have not scanned the registry, only because I don"t have a clue as how to do it. I will have to wieght for DH to help me with that.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Wendy Rae

Hi again Terri, I just did a registry clean, had over 600 files to get rid of. Still didn't fix the ptl. problem. DH says maybe that's WD way of compressing files. They all seem to be template files. Well they are also backed up on my D: drive and on dvd's. Hopefully I will never have to use them!

Thank you again

Wendy Rae

well from what i found out ptl extension is from a couple different programs paintshop pro being one of them. I have a Western Digital external hard drive but I've never used the back up function I use a windows tweak program to save the folders that I want saved. So I can't say if it's a way of compressing files or not.

terri

Archived