"affluenza"

SandiC.

I had to go to the bookstore and pick up a copy of this for DS' English class this term. I just glanced at a little snippet here and there and was struck by how much food for thought there is in this book. No wonder his professor is using it in their class.

One little snippet was about how a major corporation, the single biggest employer in one area, changed their work week from 34 hours to 40 hours. Comments were that even though people earned more and bought more, their quality of life went down because they didn't have as much time to be with their families and to pursue their interests. Volunteerism dropped and the crime rate went up. I didn't get as far as to what the authors' conclusions on this were but it was an interesting bit of data.

I think I want to read this when Jeremy is done with it for his class. I may actually get a copy from the library and read along with him during his class. We have some great conversations already and this will surely start some more. I'd be interested to hear if any of you had read it and what you thought.

I haven't read the book, but I've lived in LaLaLand for over 30 years now and am very familiar with the concept. I even did a stint once as assistant to an interior designer in Beverly Hills, during which I asked God to never let me have too much money if that's how it makes one behave.

Affluenza is a very real and dastardly disease. The CDC should take notice of this one!

I'm going to add this to my list. We are one month away from being debt free. My DH started looking at new cars and a flat screen tvs, etc. I talked him into getting a cheap used vehicle for cash and to save up and pay for a new one with cash in a year or so (hoping the one we bought will still be fine and he won't feel the need to replace it). There seems to be this pressure to look 'good' in the eyes of those around him. Like not having a BMW, flat screen and 4000 sq ft house like everyone else we know is some type of failure. Maybe I should read this and leave somewhere he'll stumble across it? lol

Gwen, that is so awesome that you are just around the corner of being debt free. I read Dave Ramsey's book and worked through his debt freeing program awhile back and let me tell you, not having debt has been the most liberating thing on earth. its ok to have nice things, only if they don't rule you. LOL. Yes, this book seems to be changing the way I think about things a little. Its a new view and slowly, I'm thinking very much differently than I used to.

I found the book at the library, and I hope to finish reading it today. One of the chapters I read yesterday asked 10 questions about the area where I/the reader live. I could only answer one of them, and I've lived here 24 years. Do ya think I need to get out of the house more and enjoy the "freebies" nature has to offer right on my own doorstep?

We've managed to get ourselves debt-free except for the mortgage, but still have the "wants" a lot of the time. I'm hoping this book will be the beginning of a more satisfying way to live our lives.

There are a lot of my "wants" I can justify, but they definitely are not even close to "needs". However, they do help me get maximum pleasure in my little leisure time, my relaxation and so I think they are important.....that said, I have a whole houseful of "stuff" that is not useful, nor even particularly decorative. and why do I need a whole closetful of clothes when I wear the same comfortable things over and over.....I guess its all about choices and I think this book is very good about helping me think about the choices I make everyday. My son's English class, using this book as a starting place, has a paper about some aspect of this. This last week, one of their assignments was to track every penny spent. He says its opening his eyes a little. this is not a new book and could probably do with an update, but still, very interesting.

Archived