Storage For Srap Files

wendyjo

Hi Everyone,

Could you point me in the right direction for ideas on storing and accessing scrapping files on cds or dvds. I would like to get all this stuff off my hard drive but still be able to get to it easily for scrapping.

I know I can use a external HD. Even those can fail. Online backup makes me nervous. Sister in law swears she can not get to her backup of 6,000+ photos.

Wendy

You are right to be concerned with back-up of important files. I have two EHD's and also back-up onto DVDs. There is really no quick and easy method to access files from DVDs unless you only have 3 or 4 GB of data. Most digi-scrappers have hundreds of GB of goodies -- not to mention photos! The easiest way to access supplies and photos quickly is via an EHD.

If you want to catalog DVDs, I'd suggest printing folder previews of the kits stored on the DVD's and placing them in a loose-leaf notebook with a cross-reference to which DVD they are on. Then you can scan through your notebook and see what kits you have and then easily get the DVD you need. I should do this, but alas, I've just burned files onto DVDs and written the kit names/photo months on the DVD cover. This is my last-ditch effort data recovery and if all of my HDs failed at once, it would take me approximately 100 hours to reload everything via DVD. However, I hope this won't happen, but if it does, at least I have my precious photos and supplies saved somewhere!

Good luck; I hope you find a system that works for you!

Like Jennifer, I use and EHD and then back up everything to DVD's. I only have one EHD at this time, but its a Tarabyte of space and I haven't put much of a dent in it yet. I went and got a good one the first one I had didn't last 6 months. Now I filled it up quickly and had too much on it. The brand I bought is the "Thermaltake" BlacX. Its not pretty looking but it does a good job !

I have 2 EHD's one is portable and I have it velcro-ed to my Laptop (a awesome idea that I got from here on SG's I think from Janine!) and the other is on my Desktop. I need to add all my more recent photos to it also. But in addition to these I regularly burn my files to a DVD for an additional back up. Once I open a zip file I move it to a folder where I keep it until I have enough to fill a DVD. Then I burn them and delete them from my EHD. I keep my open files on my EHD for easy access.

On that note...I bought a 500 GB EHD thinking I would never fill it up. I was soooo wrong! I started scrapping in Nov. 2008 and filled it up in around 1 year. BUT....that being said. I do take a ton of photos also. Just something to keep in mind!

Hey Lisa .... you may have gotten the "velcro-ehd" idea from me, but I got it from Jan Hicks at convention 2008. :) It's so handy!

I keep all of my scrapbook supplies on an EHD that I back up to another EHD. All of my photos, finished layouts and documents are on my laptop, on an EHD and backed up online. I gave up on dvd's....too impatient for that! :)

Here's a question:

If I have everything (photos and supplies) on

*laptop

*desktop

*ehd

*carbonite

and I delete some photos and supplies from my primary scrapping 'puter (laptop)to save some space, are they no longer backed up on Carbonite? I can still leave them all on the desktop, which hardly ever gets used, and also has carbonite.

Just wondering, since this hard drive is filling up pretty quickly!

Nancy

Archived