New To Lightroom - (Beta 3)

CanJan

Have downloaded and installed LR after reading everyone's raves; I want to see what I'm missing <Grin>

After reading the opening blurbs, I realize it has a file organizational capability. I use PSE 5, and to date have never "organized" my Scrapping files OR my photographs using the elements organizer, although in XP I did have it turned on and did discover how it works - just never found the time.

So now I have a new Desktop running Windows 7 Pro and PSE 5 still works fine - but I have not turned on the organizer.

Is it possible to use PSE for Scrapping files only and use LightRoom for photo's only; and would it get complicated when you add a file from one (photo) to a file from the other (Scrapping LO)????

I'm trying to figure out the easiest, most convenient method of working with files; apart from innumerable file folders/sub folders/sub-sub folders etc......

I know the knowledge is here at SG's - I'm waiting here to soak it up :thankyou:

Hey Jan - that's exactly what I do. I organize my photos with Lightroom exclusively and organize my scrapbooking supplies with Picassa. The beauty of LR is that you have choices! :) You can go to the LR "Library" and import folders that already exist on your hard drive. It will copy the folder structure. You can also import photos, off of your camera, through LR and create the folder structure you want on your hard drive through it.

One thing to remember: Lightroom doesn't actually import your photos "into" its program. It imports a mirror image basically of your folder structure. Any changes you make to images are non-destructive, even after you save them as a jpg, because LR keeps the raw file and just makes note of the changes you make. You can always go back.....unless you delete the raw file.

There is much to learn but once you find your way around you will love it. :)

But.....remember............if you delete or move a folder full of images that have been processed via Lightroom the program will no longer be able to find them. In this case you would also lose any processing you had previously done. You need to move and or delete images & folders via LR once you have them imported into your Library.

_ thanks for responding Janine! (Like the new Sig)

Ok first question: Why Picassa when you have PSE organizer??? What do you prefer about Picassa?

Next (trying to understand what you said above) If I process a RAW file in LR, would I not save the results under a different name? Would LR then track both, and when I burn my photo DVD's at the end of the year and delete those folders, would I not still have both the RAW and the LR adjusted files on my DVD???

Well, I have supposedly "imported all my 2009 photos into LR - now what???

Apart from my thumbnails, I have a big black surface (the darkroom I suppose?) but all the menus and writing is also in black - unable to read them, (nothing happens when I click on a menu item anyway - sigh!)

I'm wondering if it should have been run in XP compatible mode or not?

Anyone??? Just jump right in with your ideas and helpful hints please!

what mode are you in? Library or develop? I import, make my changes then export to a new folder called Edited Files. If you move them in your folders instead of LR the program looses the file mapping. You can relocate them from in LR just like you can in PSE. I am still learning in LR but I have figured a lot of it out..well the part I use anyways! lol The bad part is, I am so hooked that I will HAVE to buy it once the beta is up. Guess I should start putting money back now! lol

Hey there! Oh you'll just love LR. As far as organizing, you'll 'need' to do it the way you mentioned. Primarily because LR is for organizing/processing/developing jpeg, raw, tiff, psd, dng files. Since it was created from a photographers point of view, it doesn't (at this time) recognize png files (those with transparent backgrounds that you use for scrapping).

A LR class will be listed very soon, so if you're interested keep your peepers peeled. :)

I downloaded LR Beta 3. I am using WIN7 and PSE8. It seems like my whole system bogged down especially PSE. I had problems with PSE, Picassa etc not responding. Has anyone else had problems since downloading the Beta version?

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded LR Beta 3. I am using WIN7 and PSE8. It seems like my whole system bogged down especially PSE. I had problems with PSE, Picassa etc not responding. Has anyone else had problems since downloading the Beta version?

No Problems I am aware of - but then I'm using PSE5. Win 7 Pro and do not use picassa. I'm still looking for a LR tutorial on tagging organizing photos though.

If you have not done much with it yet, perhaps a "restore" or "reinstall" might help?

Archived