Filter/lenses... Question

countrydi

When I had a film SLR many years ago, when the camera shop where I would frequent and learn from, told me it was very important to always have a filter (I think that's what it's called) like a pair of sun glasses on my lenses.

Does this make sense? Is it true? If so, what should I be using?

I have the Canon Rebel XS

Thank you

They are UV filters. It protects the actual lens from being scratched. All of my lens have them...it is a good thing and they aren't expensive. Way better option then getting a scratch on the lens itself! Which one will depend on the size of your lens, but any photo shop could tell you which one.

The UV filter debate is much like the canon/nikon debate :) You will find people on both sides of the fence.

Like Lisa said, those who advocate them use them as protection for their lenses.

Opponents of filters say they can impair your lenses ability to take the best picture possible and can also affect some lenses ability to focus. They will argue that you pay big money for good 'glass' (nickname for lenses) and by putting a filter on them you are essentially reducing the quality of the 'glass' you pay so much money for.

If you are going to get one, it is my understanding that they are not all created equal and you 'get what you pay for'.

:)

I bought mine at guess Di? Ebay LOL considering I am a beginner I don't need super fanc shamncey filters and I got I think a good buy just do a search if interested with tanhe camera and then type filters or filters for canon xsi or something like that I only paid under 20 bucks Di

I recently purchased a Canon T1i kit, which did include a filter. It sounded like a great idea to protect my lens and off I went on my first "photo shoot". We went late afternoon and the sun was setting and in some of my photos I had too much sun glare. I later read that in some settings you should not use the filter, as it increases the sun's reflection....

So I guess you would need to know when it is better to use one and when it is better to take it off. I have seen some pictures taken with the polorazied filter and they are beautiful results. Someday I hope to learn how to utilize one of those.

Just so much to learn (and buy)....

It's interesting you should mention this, Robin. I have a UV filter and a Polorazing filter and use them both as they fit both of my cameras. I really hadn't thought about it much before, but I think I do prefer the polorazing filter for outdoor shots. I suppose experience will be the best teacher!

Another alternative to using filters to protect your lens is to use a lens hood.

The polarizer enhances the greens and blues...that is why you like it on outdoor photos Sarah. I have both also but don't pull out my polarizer very much. But I used it in Hawaii and back when my daughter played outdoor soccer with great results. They are great for vacations. I did not remove my UV filter I just put it on over it. I have heard also about the sun glare, but I have not had much of an issue with that to my knowledge...

Now you girls have me wanting the polarizing filter! But I just ordered a tripod last night, so I have to wait.... I have yet to get a really great outdoor shot, I think I can't hold my camera steady enough when zooming and longer shutter speeds.

When I bought my T1i and kit, I though it was complete - all I would need.... then came the books and the nifty fifty and the monopod and now a tripod.... I think I need to go to ebay....

:hit-head-with-hammer:

lol...I got mine at Wolfe Photo before we went to Hawaii and they regularly have sales for buy 2 get 1 free. I think I paid $25 or so for mine.

Lisa -

That's a good price, I will have to check out their web site. What brand did you get? There are so many and so much difference in pricing, it all becomes confusing....

lol...I got mine at Wolfe Photo before we went to Hawaii and they regularly have sales for buy 2 get 1 free. I think I paid $25 or so for mine.

Lisa -

That's a good price, I will have to check out their web site. What brand did you get? There are so many and so much difference in pricing, it all becomes confusing....

The one I got is a Quantaray. Not sure how "good" of a brand it is but I can't run out and buy the top of the line of everything and it works great for what I need.

Thanks for the tip on the polorazing filter, Lisa. Looking back on somes photos, I can see where the greens and blues are more vivid. I was mainly using it for glare reduction this past summer.

LOL, Robin. Sometimes I think getting a new camera is like opening up Pandora's Box!

Ladies..I thought I would post a sampling of the photos I got in Hawaii in 2007 with my polarizer. Keep in mind these were all taken on the auto settings with kit lenses. I had the camera only 2 weeks prior to going and had barely used it. I was thrilled with the results.

Incredible photos, Lisa! Thanks for sharing, the color is beautiful!

So you convinced me - Wolfe Photos has a deal right now, if you buy 3 of the Quantaray filters, you get 33% off! So I got a Circular Polarizer, a set of 3 close-up filters for my nifty fifty and a daylight filter (for using indoors under fluorescent lighting). And I got it all for less than $50! That's the amount of the Canon Rebate I got for my new camera! YEAH!

Thanks for the tip on filters!

I'm enjoying this thread because I'm pretty much a beginner and learning so much from you all. I have the Tamron 18-270mm lens (love it for my hand shake) and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens for my camera. Right now I'm without a camera because I sold the used beginner Nikon D50 I learned on to a college student, so I am waiting for the Nikon D5000 I ordered to come in. At any rate, I put UV filters on both lenses. I loved the Hawaii photos and since I photograph a lot outdoors, will get a polarizing filter. They inspired me! Thanks for sharing Lisa. I'm thinking a "nifty fifty" is a macro lens? I'm curious about the close up filters and how they help.

Dee

The 50MM is not a macro lens, rather just a fixed lens at 50mm. It can do an F stop of 1.8, which allows for enough light to go without a flash indoor. It is a great portrait lens, as well as landscape. I am gathering that the close-up filters magnify the focal length, as there are three different ones. So I am thinking that they would allow the use of the 50mm as a macro lens. Will report back once I get them...

I wish I had a Wolfe here! I NEED that filter kit - not a want but a need! lol I wonder if I can purchase on line with that deal?

I did get mine online! YEAH! After you put three in your basket and hit checkout, the discount appears. It is Wolf Camera... GO SHOP, GIRL!

Robin - thanks for the encouragement! lol I got them ordered but now I have to contact Wolf because I didn't get my 33% discount - go figure.

Bummer - mine was automatic - hope you get it all straightened :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

It was purchaser error - I counted the close-up filters as 3 instead of one. I got one customer service rep who was limited in his ability to help and when I said I was going to post a negative report on SG message board, he disappeared - lol - and someone else came on. After an hour, we got it straightened out - added a filter to my order - got the 33% discount and everything is good.

It was purchaser error - I counted the close-up filters as 3 instead of one. I got one customer service rep who was limited in his ability to help and when I said I was going to post a negative report on SG message board, he disappeared - lol - and someone else came on. After an hour, we got it straightened out - added a filter to my order - got the 33% discount and everything is good.

Glad you were able to work it out! I should get my filters today or tomorrow - can't wait to try them out!

Margot -

Got all my new filters today - now I feel so "grown up" with all the filters to be changing" :party-smiley-048:

Went out for dinner with some friends, so didn't have much play time, but the 1x filter worked great with my 50mm lens, the other two did not work with the auto focus. Perhaps I need to be outside? Will try more tomorrow - let me know how yours works for you!

Archived