Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 Just Released

Sarah in VA

In case you haven't heard, just wanted to let you know that Corel has released a new PSP X3 version. I just watched a Webinar on the new product and there are some interesting and impressive new extraction tools - a Smart Carver and an Object Extractor, an updated and more integrated Organizer, faster and better workflow, an improved RAW Lab, improvements to the Express Lab (batch processing), text improvements, a new project/sharing area which handles photos and videos for Facebook, Flickr, You Tube, etc.. All the prior version tools are there, some which have been updated to work more intuitively.

Upgrade price until Feb 7 is $59.99, afterwards, $69.99 (these prices are available from Webinar page - PM me for details - the Corel web site does't have these prices). Purchase price without an upgrade is $99.99. It's available for download now, and will be available in a box by mail on Feb 8.

Since Corel didn't offer an updated version last year - just a few added products for X2 Ultimate - their current version is 2 years old - I'm excited about upgrading to this version.

I was so excited because X2 was included with the software pkg for my new computer, that I got a few days ago. I was all up to date! Now my software is out of date again!!! roflol

Thanks for the info. :-)

I was so excited because X2 was included with the software pkg for my new computer, that I got a few days ago. I was all up to date! Now my software is out of date again!!! roflol

Thanks for the info. :-)

Heather, you may be able to qualify for what is known an tech protection pricing. If you bought (I imagine this includes bundled software) within the last 90 days, you can upgrade to the new version for only $19.99. I sound like a salesman, don't I. Honestly, Corel does not know I'm alive!

Check it out. It worth a try. But if not, don't despair - PSP X2 is a wonderful program!

Thankyou Sarah. I'm not sure who I would ask - the store where I bought the computer - HP, who put the software in their computer - or Corel, who sells PSP now. lol

I heard the X2 was good and was very excited to have it included with the purchase of the computer. Of course, now X3 sounds great and I haven't even tried X2 yet. I want to finish a couple of things that I was doing in 9 before I change over, just in case the learning curve slows me down. ;-)

Sarah- do you like this better than PSE? Can SG styles, actions etc be used with this program? I'm not at all familiar with this program.

In answer to your first question, "Yes, hands down," I much prefer PSP over PSE 7. But then, I've used it for over 15 years, have always kept up with the upgrades, and it's as comfortable as my favorite pair of jeans! It does everything I will ever need and more.

Except for SG Styles and Actions, which is why I bought PSE 7 last year when it came out - I wanted to shop both sides of the aisle! And I made myself learn to use it (I had to put PSP away for several weeks!).

I use it now when I want to use styles or actions, and it's good to have when I want to take a PSE specific class here at SG. But for everything else, I use PSP. PSE is a good program but there are many things I prefer to do in PSP, like text, real layer masks, vector layers, the ability to personalize my workspace, tool bars, etc. And since PSP allows me to save files in .psd format, it's easy to work between the two.

I heard the X2 was good and was very excited to have it included with the purchase of the computer. Of course, now X3 sounds great and I haven't even tried X2 yet. I want to finish a couple of things that I was doing in 9 before I change over, just in case the learning curve slows me down. ;-)

I can't emphasize enough, Heather, that X2 is an excellent program. You will really not be disappointed in using it. Lots of people don't upgrade to every new version, and in most cases every other version is enough. Especially if there are LOTS of new added features. You want to have the bugs worked out first LOL!

I loved PSP 9 and wasn't really very happy with X or X1. We'll see how it goes with X3. One thing for sure, I won't uninstall X2 until I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to go back.

I can't emphasize enough, Heather, that X2 is an excellent program. You will really not be disappointed in using it. Lots of people don't upgrade to every new version, and in most cases every other version is enough. Especially if there are LOTS of new added features. You want to have the bugs worked out first LOL!

I loved PSP 9 and wasn't really very happy with X or X1. We'll see how it goes with X3. One thing for sure, I won't uninstall X2 until I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to go back.

I am looking very forward to playing with X2 and there will be definately a lot of new things for me to try out, but if there's a chance to get an upgrade cheaper because I just got X2, then I would jump on it.

I know what you mean about skipping upgrades, afterall, I still have 9 and was playing on an old pc with XP. I've skipped over Vista to get Win7 and had previously done the same with older versions.

I do thank you for all your information. :-)

I just installed X2 6 months ago and will download the 30 day trial to see if it's worth the $60 for the upgrade. I do love my PSP but have PSE7 for the styles like Sarah. I do most of my "work" in PSP save as a psd to open in PSE to add styles etc and then go back to PSP. I am just so much faster in my "old slippers"!

I just learned something new! I didn't know I could save in PSD format in X1! I've always saved in PSPimage, Jpg and PNG formats. I loved psp 9 too and don't have pse or even ps on my computer for styles and such like so I really appreciate Lori Cook's stuff for psp although I know that more will not be made for psp in the near future. I've used PSP for 4 years now and could learn a lot from Dee and Sarah by the looks of it and I agree...you are comfortable with what you know :)

Vaughnde, not only can you save in .psd format, you can open .psd files too. Which makes it really neat to use the SG layout templates which now include the completely layered .psd files as well as the individual .png files.

Once you open it, you add your photos, etc, then save it as a .pspimage if you'd like.

I've used the psd files and enjoy using them so much, except it was slow going. I expect them to be much more fun in the future. I know that both programs save psd but don't want to get into photo shop yet, because I still have too much to learn in PSP X2. I was going to teach myself about vestors before Xmas, then got sidetracked, so I want to get back onto learning the different things that psp has to offer. Perhaps at some point, I'll want to learn about styles and actions, but not right now. I would like to take classes, but am confused as to what classes I can take with psp. I'm sure I'll get it figured out sometime. lol :-)

I just installed X2 6 months ago and will download the 30 day trial to see if it's worth the $60 for the upgrade. I do love my PSP but have PSE7 for the styles like Sarah. I do most of my "work" in PSP save as a psd to open in PSE to add styles etc and then go back to PSP. I am just so much faster in my "old slippers"!

lol I understand what you're saying and love the description. If I can get the upgrade on a deal because I just got X2, I will, but if not, I will wait for a while to get it. I have quite a bit on my plate to learn right now, but I love a deal. :-)

We talked about having both programs before and I understand why some of you are using both. I am interested in getting Photos Shop, but don't need to get it right away. There was a printer or scanner that I was looking at before XMas that offered PSE7, free with the equipment, so I will watch for another deal like that when I have saved the cash to upgrade that hardware. :-)

• 1 month later...

Sarah- do you like this better than PSE? Can SG styles, actions etc be used with this program? I'm not at all familiar with this program.

PSP does not support PS Layers Or Actions at all.

The SG Actions and layer styles canot be used with PSP

which is why many have both PSP and PSE.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I didn't know about this thread...I just d/l the 30 day trial...I can't see much diffrence between the 2. I can see they have more filters ... but I'm not good with them and you have to adjust them. I was hoping for more photo effects. I will probably upgrade anyways ...after my trial is up ...I do like the part where you can share on facebook... that's cool. They need a share on scrapgirls button so when you are working on something you can just ask for help lol

Excited to play with it some more,

Mimi

• 11 months later...

hi im just upgrading from pse6 thought will still use it to pspx3 as it looks alot easier to use. just waiting for it to arrive prob be a few months is it easy to use???

Archived