Organizing Your Scrapsimple Monthly Club Stuff

msannie

How do you all organize your ScrapSimple Monthly Club supplies? Right now all I do is to put them in a folder by date. However, out of sight, out of mind, and there are too many really useful supplies to not have readily available. But since they don't fit in any of my preassigned categories, they just hang in Club folder and remain unused.

I'd love to know how you all organize your ScrapSimple Club supplies. Thanks in advance!

I put mine in a folder marked with which monthly club it is with the date. Then I have a thumbdrive with pictures of each of my collections of al my scrapgirl products in. So when I am looking for something it is right there with every thing else. Also I keep an excel spreadsheet of each of my Sg products with the date gotten so I know exactly which dated folder to go to for that product. Probably a better way but that's the way I do it that works for me. :-)

I just made folders that start with SS_Embel, SS_papers, etc. following the categories in the boutique. I import to a folder called 'NewGoods', and extract to that same folder. Then I open Picassa and do some tagging--like the name of the kit. Then I put the parts into their respective folders.

I'm a bit intimidated by the excel spreadsheet deal, but have become a boutique junkie. Just noticed that I have purchased one item 3 times! LOL I need to do something written to see what I have already on hand before more crazy shopping. I tried putting the things I bought into Kaboodle, but I'm more of a list person I think. I don't know excel, this may be the best way to go. Someone wrote me that there is a free 'inventory listing' on Designer Digitals?

HTH,candyK

Candy, Oh my, I'd send an email to Hello@scrapgirls to see if they can help with a credit for the duplicate purchases. It can't hurt to ask.

The easiest way to see what you've bought, except for Club purchases, is log in and go to My Account in the Boutique. That lists everything you've purchased, except the club product details. For Club products, Brandie Valenzuela has compiled these in two topics that are "pinned" at the top of the Do We Have it in The Boutique forum.

Hope this helps a little.

Ms Annie, If I left my ScrapSimple stuff in folders by date, I'd never use it. I'm a really visual person, and I'm usually seeking (at any given time) a specific type of product, such as Embellishments, or a Layout Template, etc.

I have folders labeled 0_SSAlpha, 0_SSEmbellishments&Tools, 0_SSLayouts, 0_SSWordArt, etc. I go back and forth about brushes--I've moved them to a separate folder, and then back to Embellishments at least twice. The 0 makes these folders sort to the top of the list. Then each collection/product is in its own folder.

Since I'm visual, I've worked hard to find a way to scan these quickly and yet be specific. This thread on organizing file folders so you can preview the contents describes what I've gotten to now, and really like. Hope this helps.

I have categories for brushes, paper templates, and embellishment templates in my main Scrapgirls folder. I put the zip files into a folder with the date, then unzip them into those categories just as if I purchased them separately. (I also make a copy of the preview for each piece.)

About purchasing things more than once, I think we have all done that! Email Angie (after her birthday today lol) and she will take care of it. (I discovered a nifty thing on my browser, which is Chrome - it has a Find on Page option which I can use on the My Account page to see if I bought an item already or not.)

candyK....thanks for the input. I just yesterday downloaded Picasa and am trying to learn and use it. I FINALLY changed the scan once button to scan always, and now it seems to work as expected.

Plus I actually used it to find a frame, and I found exactly what I wanted. Yoo Hoo! Now to learn how to tag.

Instead of retyping everything into another program, take a SNAPSHOT of your supplies, print it, and then you can see at a glance what you have. Yes, I've purchased the same thing twice as well!

Obviously, the only drawback is that new stuff isn't pictured; for what little time it takes, write down the new stuff on the printout; eventually, you'll need to take another snapshot, but in the meantime, really helps to see what you have in print.

Thanks again!

It really does make a difference to keep them where you will see them often. I like others, don't file by date at all. I put on my EHD the original zipped files for storage. But for use on the computer I made my files to match the way I think when I need something to use. So my main heading is Scrap Girls Templates (in my mind that's all the stuff that's colorless that I have to color) Then my next levels are Alphas, Borders & Edges, Christmas, Embellishments, Frames & Photo Frames, Papers, Quickpages, WordArt. After that I just continue to break down within each folder to make it the most organized that I can. :groupwave2:

I have a folder named ScrapSimple for all of my SS stuff--club or otherwise. Inside the folder are the different kinds of tools--Embellishment Templates, Paper Templates, Brush Sets, etc. Then I tag the club stuff in ACDSee by date so if I want to see all of the Club stuff by release date, I can just click on my January 2010 tag under the SS club category.

Thanks everybody.....What great ideas! Looks like I'll be spending the next two days rearranging and renaming some of my folders. We're snowbound from the snowstorm that hit the Carolinas, so I have the time. We're in the mountains of NC where it dumped a LOT of snow, and our driveway is too steep and the snow too deep to get out. I came out for a visit and don't even have any snow boots to take a walk!

I'm glad you got some ideas msannie! Organizing is an ongoing thing for me too--especially since I didn't start organizing things until my stash became overwhelming. I just take a little bit at a time. I try to spend 15 minutes a day organizing/tagging my files. I think one day I'll be all done and only tagging the new stuff.

Oh, and I'm in VA and we got a lot of snow too. Well, a lot for us Southeasterners who close schools and everything else when we get more than 3 inches of snow at a time lol. Heck, even 1 inch is call for a delay. Oh..and I don't have snow boots either. I'm badly equipped for this wintry weather. Whatever happened to our mild winters? LOL

CapriMom....mild winter? NOT this winter. We barely escaped an even worse snow storm last December; we had flight reservations leaving Atlanta for the 19th of December; since my sister lives just north of Atlanta, we left two days early to spend a couple of days with her, and would you believe there was a 17-in snow storm here in the mountains the day we left? Lucky us! If we'd waited those couple of days , we'd have missed our flight!

Yep, got a lot of rearranging and organizing to do tomorrow.

LOL! Glad you were able to make it to Atlanta last year! You're right--the last couple of winters have been frigid. I think you see more snow than I do b/c you're in the mountains. I grew up in Hampton Roads which is near the ocean so that kept us a few degrees above freezing most of the time which means no snow. Now that I'm in central VA, there is more snow but I'm sure the mountainous regions of VA got even more. Good luck organizing!

I make a new folder every month I include either SS or SG, the month and the year, I have several years worth of products. I use Picassa so when it opens I can see everything right there for the clubs.

It sounds like you will be getting alot done due to your storm. I have family in NC and they just loved the snow!!

MaryJo...I'd like the snow a LOT better if we didn't live on the high side of a mountain which makes the driveway too steep to drive on in snow and ice!

But it's given me the time to reorganize my SSClub files.....they were organized by date, but today they get placed in folders according to 'function'...papers, alphas, word art, embellishments. Since they are all grayscale, they categorize easily now, and that will make them easier to access and use.

Now let's get to work dragging and dropping those files!

candyK....thanks for the input. I just yesterday downloaded Picasa and am trying to learn and use it. I FINALLY changed the scan once button to scan always, and now it seems to work as expected.

Plus I actually used it to find a frame, and I found exactly what I wanted. Yoo Hoo! Now to learn how to tag.

Instead of retyping everything into another program, take a SNAPSHOT of your supplies, print it, and then you can see at a glance what you have. Yes, I've purchased the same thing twice as well!

Obviously, the only drawback is that new stuff isn't pictured; for what little time it takes, write down the new stuff on the printout; eventually, you'll need to take another snapshot, but in the meantime, really helps to see what you have in print.

Thanks again!

Can you tell me how to take the 'snapshot' ? What program are you doing this in? I love the idea of not retyping this stuff in! I printed out my account from the boutique "My account" but I have to really leaf through this to see what is what.

There is an app called the Snipping Tool that ships with Windows 7. If you aren't running Windows 7, do a google search for a free Snapshot Tool. They are out there.

The Windows 7 Snipping Tool saves the snapshot as a png, and it's simple to drag that png into PS. You can place it and resize it to your liking. It took FIVE snapshots to do my whole brushes folder. It's WONDERFUL to have that printout.

If you need any help locating stuff, just yell!

Archived