Wacom Bamboo Fun Or Bamboo Craft

2cats4me

I was just talking to a computer salesperson a couple of weeks ago about the bamboo and wacom. He said that he has used both that the wacom is the way to go.

I'm sorry that I can't help you any further than that, but I would like to get the wacom at some point.

At least this reply will bump your question up a bit. :-)

Here's a link for you : Wacom Bamboo

I went to the site to check out the differences and as far as I can tell, they are identical. The more expensive one..the Fun said this :

Features

• Combines the benefits of pen and Multi-Touch input into one tablet
  • Use a single finger for navigation and multiple fingers for gestures
  • Simple gestures make it easy to scroll, zoom, rotate, move backward or forward
  • Pressure-sensitive pen tip for natural pen and brush strokes
  • Battery-free, ergonomic pen with two switches
  • Textured work surface for a pen-on-paper feel
  • Quick access to user-defined shortcuts with four ExpressKeys™
  • Attached fabric loop conveniently secures pen
  • Easy USB connection
  • Interactive tutorial helps you helps you learn gestures and make the most of your Bamboo
  • Included in the package with every Bamboo Fun:
    • Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 7.0 Win/6.0 Mac for editing, retouching, enhancing and sharing digital photos
    • Corel® Painter™ Essentials 4.0 (Win and Mac) for creating natural media art and turning photos into paintings
    • Nik® Color Efex™ Pro 3.0 WE3 for selectively applying lighting and photo enhancements with the pen

What's Inside

Included in the Bamboo Fun package:

• Bamboo Fun tablet
  • Bamboo Fun pen
  • Quick Start guide
  • Installation CD (includes driver software, interactive tutorial and user's manual)
  • Software DVD (containing Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 7.0 Win/6.0 Mac, Corel® Painter™ Essentials 4.0, Nik® Color Efex Pro™ 3.0 WE3)
  • Offer for free photo album from Shutterfly
  • Offer for free online store from Café Press

Technical Stuff

Tablet Specifications

Tablet Dimensions (WxH)13.3" x 8.8" (338mm x 224mm)Active Area - Touch (WxH)7.5" x 5.1" (190mm x 130mm)Active Area - Pen (WxH)8.5" x 5.4" (216mm x 137mm)Pressure Levels1024 on Pen TipResolution2540 lpiMax Data Rate133 ppsAccuracy+/- .02 in (+/- 0.5 mm)Tablet Weight1 lb. 12.5 ozConnectivityStandard USBOrientationReversible for right- or left-handed users

System Requirements

PCWindows® 7, Vista® or XP with Service Pack 2MacMac OS® X (10.4.8 or higher)HardwareAlso requires color display, powered USB port, and CD/DVD driveAnd the Craft said this:

What's Inside

Included in the Bamboo Craft package:

• Bamboo Craft tablet
  • Bamboo Craft pen
  • Quick Start guide
  • Installation CD (includes driver software, interactive tutorial and user's manual)
  • Software DVD (containing Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 7.0 Win/6.0 Mac, Corel® Painter™ Essentials 4.0, Nik® Color Efex Pro™ 3.0 WE3)
  • DVD with 26 scrapbooking lessons from Jane Conner-ziser and a library of digital craft embellishments
  • Offer for free 8" x 8" photo album from Shutterfly
  • Offer for free online store from Café Press
  • Offer for free one-year subscription to Scrapbooking & Beyond Magazine
  • Offer for free online training with DigitalScrapbookPlace.com

Features:

• Two sensors for precise pen and Multi-Touch input
  • Use a single finger for navigation and multiple fingers for gestures
  • Simple gestures make it easy to scroll, zoom, rotate, go backward or forward
  • Pressure-sensitive pen tip for natural pen and brush strokes
  • Battery-free, ergonomic pen with two switches
  • Textured work surface for a pen-on-paper feel
  • Quick access to user-defined shortcuts with four ExpressKeys™
  • Attached fabric loop conveniently secures pen
  • Easy USB connection
  • Interactive tutorial helps you learn gestures and make the most of your Bamboo
  • Included in the package with every Bamboo Craft:
    • Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 7.0 Win/6.0 Mac for editing, retouching, enhancing and sharing digital photos
    • Corel® Painter™ Essentials 4.0 (Win and Mac) for creating natural media art and turning photos into paintings
    • Nik® Color Efex™ Pro 3.0 WE3 for selectively applying lighting and photo enhancements with the pen

Hope that helps.

I have the Bamboo Fun which is the same tablet as the Bamboo Craft. The only difference is the software that is bundled with the tablet.

I can't imagine scrapping without my tablet anymore. In fact, I was playing around in PS on my DSO's mother's computer and felt the limitation with only using a mouse.

As for the difference between the Wacom and Bamboo tablets that Heather mentioned, Wacom is the company that makes them and they have other more high-end tablets designed for professional graphic designers and such. The Bamboo is a lite version for the more casual user--similar to the difference between Photoshop & Photoshop Elements.

I love love love my Wacom tablet!! I even gave my mouse away, or maybe the cat ate it. My wrist was getting so sore using the mouse and I no longer have that issue using the pen and tablet! Did I mention that I LOVE my pen and tablet?!! I purchased the Bamboo Craft in Nov. and found it very easy to use.

I have the Bamboo Fun which is the same tablet as the Bamboo Craft. The only difference is the software that is bundled with the tablet.

I can't imagine scrapping without my tablet anymore. In fact, I was playing around in PS on my DSO's mother's computer and felt the limitation with only using a mouse.

As for the difference between the Wacom and Bamboo tablets that Heather mentioned, Wacom is the company that makes them and they have other more high-end tablets designed for professional graphic designers and such. The Bamboo is a lite version for the more casual user--similar to the difference between Photoshop & Photoshop Elements.

Thankyou for the explanation. I've been wondering what that sales guy was talking about and planning to talk to him the next time I go to town. :-)

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a tablet. But I already have PSE 8. I don't need another copy! But all the Bamboo tablets come bundled, as far as I can tell. Anyone have any options for a medium sized tablet/pen that doesn't come with the extra bundle?

Nancy

I got the Bamboo Pen & Touch in the medium size (I think it's called Bamboo Fun). I have a 24" monitor with my desktop PC. Previously I had the samll Bamboo pen and didn't use it much, because the size was not a good fit with my monitor.

Now I use this one all of the time. I Love the touch more than the pen and the size is great with my montior. Not sure how I would like it with a laptop though. I might then prefer the smaller size :-~

A tablet is on my list too, but I'm not sure which one yet. I have to get my dock problem straightened out first. Can you believe that a docking station doesn't come with a power cord - you have to buy your own! I'm not paying that much for a docking station, then have to supply my own power cords. :-)

Their excuse is that different countries have different plug systems. I bought an EHD, which was a lot cheaper than the dock and it had plug caps, so it would work in outlets in different countries. I thiink HP could have done the same thing with the dock and I intend to let them know. :-)

I'm happy that you were able to find something that you like! I ended up getting the same thing - the one that I was talking about earlier was the Intuous, which is made for professionals and I think it's made by Wacom, so I don't know what the sales clerk was talking about. I think the Pen and Touch is a great start and perhaps all that may be needed. Enjoy your new toy! :-)

It looks like we highjacked your thread for chatter - sorry about that! Me bad - I go sit on sofa and ponder behaviour. I might as well scrap while I'm on the sofa, since my computer is so close at hand. lol :-)

I'm still pondering this one - and saving for it too - this is all good information and is helping me make my decision. I so hope it will be soon - but can't be soon enough. Will we ever have all we want? Tee-Hee

I'm still pondering this one - and saving for it too - this is all good information and is helping me make my decision. I so hope it will be soon - but can't be soon enough. Will we ever have all we want? Tee-Hee

lol I don't think it happens that you get all that you want. Afterall, it takes time to collect it up and by the time you get the last thing, it's time to start upgrading. Of course there's always new innovations as well. roflol :-)

That's part of the problem - we buy something one day only to find out tomorrow that a whole new tablet or version of our software has just come out - it is very frustrating and had on the pocketbook too! Thus, my quarter jar saving - saving - saving and waiting-waiting - waiting!

I know what you mean Sara - I saved for two years to do some upgrading of my hardware and software. It shouldn't have taken quite that long, but things come up. I still haven't loaded all the software that came with the Bamboo, because I'm just having too much fun with the Notebook. I'm glad that I didn't upgrade my software before I bought the hardware, because I got free software with them. It was a nice bonus. :-)

I have also been reformatting the old laptop for DH, but it didn't load right, so may have to run the repair. :-)

what size are you girls finding you like best? I am cruising ebay & finding some good deals but want to make sure I get what I want. LOL Tax return is coming & Bryan has earmarked some of it for a treadmill he's been needing (in the reserves he has to do a fit test every year & they are going to every 6 mo) - I told Bry I wanted some small part of it too & the rest can go to numerous bills. LOL - I was thinking a nice office chair for my scrap room & a tablet would be great for me!

Robin mentioned getting the right size tablet for her monitor. I have a small monitor and wonder if it makes a difference which bamboo tablet I get? I looked at it online recently after seeing all the discussion here & it looks very nice. I did a lo with lots of twiddling with an extraction & my wrist was so sore the next day. Has anyone tried moving the tablet between computers?

I have no idea because I have seen them as small as a photograph up to a 12x19! I can't imagine any monitor needing one that big, so I am guessing it has to do with being able to draw a continuous design without scrolling around to pick it up again? I am really interested in the 12x12 size if I can find one in my budget... but wow, the prices really vary & I haven't a clue what I would really need - I don't want to get one that will end up being overkill, but I certainly don't want to shell out that kind of $$ & find that I am wishing I had gone bigger either. LOL Just by way of info - I want more than just the ability to write on my layout - I am an artist & would like to be able to do some drawing.

Robin mentioned getting the right size tablet for her monitor. I have a small monitor and wonder if it makes a difference which bamboo tablet I get? I looked at it online recently after seeing all the discussion here & it looks very nice. I did a lo with lots of twiddling with an extraction & my wrist was so sore the next day. Has anyone tried moving the tablet between computers?

It is very easy to move between computers. You plug it in just like your mouse. As long as you have the software installed, you are good to go. You are able to adjust your settings on your tablet as to how you want it to interact with your monitor. I love mine and use it exclusively (My mouse is long gone). I have the Wacom Intuos 3 (6 x 8). There are fun programmable buttons and pop up menus that you can program with your favorite keyboard shortcuts so that you don't have to touch your keyboard (you will see that this feature varies depending on which tablet you purchase)! LOVE IT!

When I had the small size tablet with my 24" wide monitor, I could not reach the edges of the monitor without picking up my hand and moving it around some. I do not have that trouble at all with the medium sized.

If you are just using it in PS or PSE, I would think the small size would be just fine, as your work area in PS/PSE isn't as big as the monitor. I wanted the medium size, as it has replaced my mouse, I love, love, love (!) the touch pad!

So it sounds like small might be a pain since I want to replace my mouse with it & will eventually want it for use with a larger desktop pc. I think I will cruise for a med-lg one, depending on what I can find at a good price. Thanks!

Archived