Best Place To Have Books Printed/bound By?

pjeaston

I had a book printed at Artscow and included a couple of layouts that I'd included in an earlier Shutterfly book. I could not tell any difference in the color between the two. I did have a problem with the Artscow front and back - the layouts were both off center and smaller than the cover. Since I was really using this as a test book I didn't ask to have them reprinted. They appeared fine in the preview but it was probably my fault and had to do with the different size of the front/back covers. Overall I have been pleased with both with the exception of one book I had done by Shutterfly that has begun to split at the seam and it's only been viewed about five times. I'll look forward to hearing your review on the blurb book.

• 5 months later...

Shutterfly!

They're pricey - but they make fab books!!!

I've had all mine done there so far.

I took some to the Convention last fall and a lot of people had a look, so maybe someone will post what they thought about the quality (of the books, not my scrapping)!

I've had a couple of problems with different things - color, binding and glue-residue - but Shutterfly has sent me new books every time. To Sweden!

I've heard good things about Blurb too, but haven't tried them yet.

i used blurb last year for a 50 plus layouts from 2009...it came out fantastic... i think somewhere on the mb ( i am not good at searching or i would show you) i posted and i think showed some pages... i am prob going to do one again with them...i did a 12 x 12 book....

I would also suggest taking advantage of some of the "free" books that companies offer throughout the year (typically 20 pages or less) and do a "mini" book trial before taking on a huge book like project 365. That way, you can iron out any kinks with regard to color issues or cropping issues. I took advantage of a Picaboo offer back in March (it was the first time I printed ANYTHING!) and that helped me to understand how it all worked. The book came out well; I was pleased. You can see it here: Kindergarten Memories

ETA: I had considered Shutterfly, but I read that stitched binding was the way to go and they do not offer that (as you have found with your binding coming apart). I think I am going to go with Blurb for a book that I am working on that is going to be about 200 pages. I have heard great things about them and the software is very user friendly. I haven't printed anything yet, but Bobbie did (as she mentioned above) and I think it will be fine. I am going to do a "test" book of my trip to Vegas that will be about 30 pages to iron the kinks out before I print "the big one"!

such a great book karina and it reminded me i took advantage of that sale and made a book about my dgs for my mom...it was a big hit..and certainly fine but i still think the paper quality and binding is better at blurb

• 3 months later...

I, too am a Blurb fan! I was actually price comparing this weekend while at a retreat - Blurb vs Shutterfly and Blurb was less expensive and I feel their quality is better. I have previously used their templates but am now working on a 12X12 book where I am digi scrapping the layout and uploading as a full bleed page. I follow the "trim" lines in the "preview" mode and use grid lines on CS5 to keep things within the right parameters to prevent any cut off issues. I generally choose the lustre finish and the pages look very nice and high quality. Also, they can accommodate up to 440 pages per book as I recall vs Shutterfly which has a 100 pg limit.

:daisy:

Blurb sounds great, and I've been checking out their site. My original plan was to have my 12x12 pages printed and bound as 8x8s. Blurb only offers a 7x7, and it's actually rounded UP from 6-point-something-or-other. Too small to really appreciate my album pages that were originally 12x12? What do you think? Has anybody done this size before?

Blurb started making 12x12 books a couple of years ago. I used them to print my son's 12x12 baby album. I'm very happy with it. I also used them to print my 2009 Project 365 album, but in 8x10, which I'm doing again for my 2010 album. I agree that the 7x7 album is useless for pages that were designed at 12x12.

blurb definately has 12 x 12 books... that is where i will be printing my 2010 layouts, which as of now i think number 100 or so...oh dear...and i still have some more photos from 2010 that i must scrap....so gotta get to work ...

Archived