Illustrator

SandiC.

I need to learn the basics of illustrator as quickly as possible. As some of you know I've enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh online division photography program. I have to take a computer proficiency class that covers PS CS4, Microsoft Office and Illustrator. right now Illustrator is downloading and I need to know the illustrator for dummies resources as quickly as possible. Also, I'll need to use it for my drawing class that starts next Thursday. That's it, I have one week to learn enough to get by. For those of you who use this, I'd appreciate all the ideas I can get.

Sandi, you might want to contact Valerie (Varanda)...I know she wrote an e-book on Illustrator because I have it, but can't find it in the Boutique. Maybe she can "hook you up" with it if you write her. Also Amazon has "dummy" books for Illustrator, which is were I got mine. Good luck in your new venture at the AIP!

I used Illustrator and a similar program when I worked at the sign shop but haven't done much with it for quite awhile. The basic thing I think is learning to draw with the curves and stuff. I think there are some basic tutorials included in the help files. You might want to start there. If you've gotten the hang of PSCS, I would think you wouldn't have too much trouble tackling Illustrator.

Get in touch with V. She has some excellent resources for you . I can't remember them off the top of my head, but I bought them with my old system and learned alot ! Good luck and it sounds like you are into heavy duty stuff!!! I'll be praying for you!!! Good luck and I already know you will work hard

Where to start? Excellent question. Open it up and play. I use the pen tool to draw with. Much of it is like Photoshop, but you are working in vectors. What do you want to draw? I'd start there.

(My Illustrator book and products were all retired, that's why they aren't in the boutique.)

drawing class starts next week and I have to take a proficiency exam tomorrow. Since I know office and PS CS4 pretty well, I just have to know a few basics of illustrator. I've looked over some of the help topics and there are some good video tutorials on the adobe site. I'll go check and see if my local bookstores have dummies books this evening. LOL. Just the basic tools and how to navigate will get me by for now I think. I've already played a little and its really fun. gonna love my drawing class I think. thanks for the suggestions folks, I've gotten started now.

Sandi, I don't know much about Illustrator any more, I don't even use it w/my creative suite very much. But I use to teach the Advanced Commercial Design Classes at SBU here. I found a book, The "Visual Quick Start Guide" for Illustrator (Win.&Mac.) By: Elaine Weinmann and Peter Lourkas ISBN 0-201-35388-1. I didn't know that program well enough to teach it when I was asked so I had to find a quick remedy. That book was helpful and easy to understand. I ended-up using the book as part the class because it was so easy to understand.

Thank you all so much for your help, I was able to find resources, both print and online tutorials that I'm pouring over today. by tomorrow, I'll be at least proficient enough to get by with. Of course, it will be an all day cram session, but well worth it. From just what I've gone over so far its amazing! I'm so overwhelmed with the geniuses that create these very powerful programs. Again, thank you all for your help......you rock!

good luck, Sandi! I'm sure you'll have it figured out in no time. Remember your first time using Photoshop? It probably seemed overwhelming, but like you had an entire art store at your fingertips. It's the same kind of thing, just play play play! I just sort of fumble around until I figure things out, and when I'm stumped I end up googling "how do I...." and eventually something pops up that makes sense to where I'm stuck.

I need to learn the basics of illustrator as quickly as possible. As some of you know I've enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh online division photography program. I have to take a computer proficiency class that covers PS CS4, Microsoft Office and Illustrator. right now Illustrator is downloading and I need to know the illustrator for dummies resources as quickly as possible. Also, I'll need to use it for my drawing class that starts next Thursday. That's it, I have one week to learn enough to get by. For those of you who use this, I'd appreciate all the ideas I can get.

Sandi, Illustrator is an awesome program and with your experience I think you will catch on quickly - I agree - would buy the book Illustrator for Dummies - I have it and use it frequently although I have been using Illustrator for over 17 years now - love it and you will too. I don't think you will have any problems - play with it awhile and you will see that it is really not so difficult to use - then look for books on it.

Play LOTS!! You will learn. It will seem really frustrating and backwards at first but, once you get the hang of it, it will be smooth sailing. I had many ....AHA moments when learning to use illuustrator. I am still not as proficient as I would like to be but, I am slowly learning more each time I play.

So far, its absolutely amazing. I'm just taking it one step at a time, playing and its incredible. One think I absolutely love is the ability to have multiple artboards on a big canvas. What a great way to control your workflow. If I were ever interested in designing, this is where I'd start. No time for that now though. LOL. I don't think my proficiency test will be any problem at all, there are so many overlaps between this and photoshop. Learning to use the anchor points and handles is a little weird, but even that, once I understood how it works, made sense. I guess those physics classes way back when paid off

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and tips and encouragement.

I love my Illustrator too - I can take images into it and make changes - did that alot when I was designing and had my graphic arts business. Illustrator was my every day application, but that was using clip art and before I joined SG. I still use it from time to time to make a change in an embellie and love it for that reason.

Archived