Anyone Use Picajet? Or Any Other Multi-Tag Software?

scrap_horse

I use PSE and have about half my supplies in the Organizer. But I just don't like it, it seems like there should be better software.

I don't really understand what Picasa is, is it only for organizing online photos? Or can you use it to organize stuff on your HD? Does it have the ability to put multiple tags on an image (EX: red, eyelet, etc.)?

I found something that sounded good today, it's called PicaJet. Anyone use that? I was wondering if you can click on thumbnails in PicaJet once you've found what you wanted and drag it to open in PSE. (I submitted the Q to them just now also) Or if it's more complicated. Or completely unsuitable to digi scrappers.

How about ACDSee? Is it good for tagging supplies and then finding them, and opening into PSE? Or can you only open from it into it's own creating "area"?

People seem to like the PSE Organizer, but for some reason I just don't. I have a ton of supplies to tag, but I don't really want to if I'm going to switch software! Thanks in advance!

I just downloaded Picasa -- it organizes photos and digital scrapbooking supplies on your HD. It's free. You can tag items however you'd like and it even shows .psd files, which is nice.

I used ACDSee for awhile, but found it slowed down my computer. You can use the files you tag in ACDSee in whatever way you like. You don't have to edit them only in ACDSee, for example.

As far as I know, with any system of tagging, you have to move files within whatever program you used to tag or else your program cannot find them. For instance, if you tag all of your stuff in ACDSee, then move photos from one folder to another from your Documents folder (and NOT in the ACDSee interface), ACDSee will not find those items when you search for them again. I think this applies to any organizing program.

There are about as many ways to organize and tag as there are scrappers, so it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

Good luck!

I think Picasa is much easier and faster than Organizer, but I didn't stick with Organizer very long. You can drag photos from Picasa into PSE.

It will find files on your hard drive and EHDs.

It will also preview PSDs, and not just jpgs, which is really cool!

The initial face search took a long time, identifying the faces, but now it's really fast.

I'm really loving it.

:)

Hi there Jennifer! I'm sorry I haven't heard of PicaJet but I do use Picasa and really love it. I haven't used acdsee either ad I never really got the hang of the organiser. Just thought I would steer you to this thread which will answer many questions on Picasa and give you some food for thought Picasa

All the best for sorting it all out.

I used to use PSE Organizer and spent hours tagging my things as I filed them after downloading. I likes it ok - until I accidentally deleted the catalog! I've switched to Picasa and I really like it a lot. It can find words like paper, red, or names or initials like BMU, TCS, if they are in the file name. I've been told that Picasa recognizes tags that you have put on in Organizer and I think from Windows Photo Gallery. I haven't been adding any extra tags since I started with Picasa and I'm finding that it will find things pretty well for me. Unlike Organizer (and I'm assuming ACDSee) you don't have to move things from within Picasa for it to be able to still find those things. That makes things very much easier. And it seems very, very fast. I have over 50,000 scrapbooking supplies and about 18,000 photos in it and I'm amazed at how quickly it runs.

Just my two cents worth!

I won't have a chance to try it for a bit (work is hectic), but PicaJet looks great! It has all the features I love in Windows Photo Gallery, plus more (including the option to track file changes outside its sphere--bet that uses disk space.) I am definitely interested in this product!

Finally got back to check this thread! (gone for a few days, and been catching up) I might look more into Picasa, thanks for the info and thread link. Free is always good!

PicaJet does look great, I got a response and they said it supports drag-and-drop, it sounds like I should be able to have both it and PSE open, and once I've found something in PicaJet, drag-and-drop it into PSE to open. Have to check if it shows PSD files... I don't end up tagging many of those, except for the PSD layered templates, but I also keep a JPG preview alongside those anyway. If anyone tries this, be sure to post here! :-) Whenever I can get to redoing my organizing/tagging of supplies, I'll try to remember to post my experience, too!

Thanks for the replies!

Guest faerywings

I have been using ACDsee Photo Manager for several years now. I use if to tag/organize all of my scrap stash as well as my photos.

I find that it doesn't slow my computer down. However, I do notice that the program itself "drags' a bit if I do not back up and optimize the database regularly (at least once a week).

I like it for a lot of reasons- but a couple of things I like most:

• I can tag/keyword my photos right as I download them off my camera
  • I can embed metadata into each file
  • I can make Photo Disks- I can put photos/scrap kits on a CD or DVD and delete them off my computer. By making a Photo Disk, Photo Manager will store the image data and be able to include it in searches
  • I can batch edit a lot of photos at once
  • all I have to do is click and drag images right into my photo editing program.

I have over 50,000 scrapbooking supplies and about 18,000 photos in it and I'm amazed at how quickly it runs.

Holy cow!! You are a scrapbooking wise one!!

I don't think having a lot of "stuff" makes me wise - just poorer in the pocketbook. LOL ;)

Just an update, if anyone wants one, LOL! I downloaded the free version of PicaJet to try (I know it doesn't have all the features, but figured it would give me a feel for how it works and if I like it). Then got sidetracked by deciding to reorganize and seriously clean through my digi supplies. LOL! (no reason to tag a bunch of stuff I don't really want) I'm almost ready to put a few assorted things in and then see how it operates. :)

Archived