Weird Question About When I Take Pics

countrydi

Ok....I know this is gonna sound weird but I have to ask.

I have a Canon Rebel XS and love it!

I wear eyeglasses, so I don't know if this will make a difference in an answer.

When I am looking through the viewfinder to take pictures, my viewfinder fogs up and so does the

display screen in the back (and sometimes my eyeglasses too). I don't know how to stop this short of holding my breath every

time I go to take a picture.

I haven't had to use a viewfinder in many years and now am finding this hard to deal with

since Canon doesn't let you use the back display screen to use to take pictures.

As I said....this is a weird question....I hope someone can help though. :-)

Di!

You've answered your own question. Hold your breath! It helps stabilise the camera and reduces the risk of camera shake. Don't worry, it happens to me too as I wear eyeglasses. I dont remove mine to shoot as it doesnt feel comfy for me. The back screen will fog simply because of its position in relation to your face.

You say the camera wont let you use the back screen to take images. Are you sure on this?. I'm not familiar with the Rebel XS so I don't know for certain, but all the DSLR's I've had have allowed me to use the LCD for taking pics. Perhaps someone who owns a Canon might shed more light for you!

Hope this helps!

pS I predominantly use my camera in "portrait" or upright manner, so this does reduce the fogging problem at times. When I say hold your breath, I mean just as you press the shutter. Dont go passing out on us becasue you held your breath too long! lol :giggle_bear:

I don't believe the Canon XS has "live view" meaning that you can use the LCD display on the back of the camera to frame your shot as you can with a Point & Shoot camera. I think you must use the viewfinder. But, I could be wrong! Someone else, what is the answer here?

But if that is the case, does your viewfinder have a small dial beside it (it's called a diopter?) that allows you to "tune" in an adjustment for your eyesight? So that you can use the viewfinder without your glasses on? If it does, play around with this- it's like the fine tuner on a pair of binoculars, used to bring everything into your focus.

If not, follow Dave's advice, hold your breath!

Di, you can click on the Menu button on the back of your camera and then navigate to the second "Tools" screen (the yellow squares), then down to Live View function settings. You can turn it on from there. It's a handy setting for awkward angles and working with a tripod....and keeping your glasses from fogging up! LOL :) Good luck with it!

You can, as Sarah says, adjust the viewfinder with that little dial on its right.

Di, you can click on the Menu button on the back of your camera and then navigate to the second "Tools" screen (the yellow squares), then down to Live View function settings. You can turn it on from there. It's a handy setting for awkward angles and working with a tripod....and keeping your glasses from fogging up! LOL :) Good luck with it!

You can, as Sarah says, adjust the viewfinder with that little dial on its right.

I never knew you could do this! So . . . I followed your instructions and set the Live View function to "Enable". Now what? I figured the LCD would just show what I was looking at after I enabled the Live View, but it's not. I must be missing a step. Any ideas what I did wrong?

I thought the XSi was the first of the rebels to have live view, but I could be wrong. Di, when you're taking your shot you need to exhale slowly and press the shutter button, right at the end of that exhale. Try not pressing the camera quite so close to your face, just move it out about a 1/2 inch. Your eye does not need to be right up on the eyepiece. You can change the focus of the viewfinder if you decide to take your glasses off to shoot. There's a little time wheel, just next to the eyepiece that you can adjust to make things in focus, your camera can compensate for your vision! how amazing is that?

Di, you might want to go to amazon dot com and search for the Canon XS. There is an awful lot of good information on that page about the camera and I learned that it does, in fact, have a Live View Function!

As Janine said earlier, you will need to go into your menu to Enable it. Then to display the Live View on the LCD you'll need to back out of the menu and press the SET button.

Be advised however, that unless the camera is on a tripod, using Live View to take regular hand-held photos will probably result in a lot of camera shake. Holding the camera far enough from the body to be able to see the LCD doesn't offer a lot of stability for a camera of that size. I guess it works with the smaller point and shoots because they ARE small and can be more easily stablized in your hands.

Hope this helps.

That's cool that your camera does have live view. Sarah gave you good advice about using it though. When I was taking photos this morning I paid attention to where my camera was in relation to my face. It was actually about 2 inches away from my face. That let me look through the viewfinder and be able to see my settings as well as get sort of a peripheral view of the entire scene. I have to admit, until you asked this question I had never really thought about it.

As Janine said earlier, you will need to go into your menu to Enable it. Then to display the Live View on the LCD you'll need to back out of the menu and press the SET button.

Thanks! I had done everything, except press the "SET" button - I missed that. Now it works!

First off....thank you all for not making me feel like a fool for asking this question!...You guys rock!

All these wonderful answers are a HUGE help....thank you all so much!

Wow Sarah....thanks for the info on Live View Function! That's a nice function!!! And I'll head over to Amazon to check out that page! Thanks!!

You guys are always willing to teach someone something new!

thankyou.gifthankyou.gifthankyou.gifthankyou.gif

Di, so glad you're getting the feel of your new camera. And don't forget, we're all learning right along with you. some of know one thing and someone else know something else and we all learn from each other. that's what's so cool about this place. a lot of times I learn things I'd never enven thought of to ask. LOL. that's the real bonus.

Archived