Buyer's Regret ......

J9Buckles

Okay girls...I "bit the bullet" and bought PSE 8.0 ... wondering why now. :( I NEED my styles in categories and can not find a way to do it. I bought Add-O-Matic to speed up the process of installing my huge library of styles & actions and it won't run. I've turned off Firewalls, added it to the Exception list in Firewall & Virus program ... found out the Task Manager had 5 instances of Add-O-Matic running so I turned them all off, restarted computer and tried again ... and again nothing.

I feel like I just wasted a pile of money! Boo! :(

I could rant...but instead I'll take advice. (I have contacted Add-O-Matic for assistance, but I know the knowledge base here is just as good! LOL ... I'm not really laughing.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes! Gotta have those styles!!!!

I have problems with Add-o-matic in that my computer protection thinks it is a virus or something and keeps deleting it off my computer. I have to keep reinstalling it through Carbonite. I wonder if your system is doing something to "protect" you from the evils of add-o-matic. lol I don't know how to fix that.

And, I "only" have PSE7...but I have my styles in categories. Don't know if it's the same as PSE8. After they are installed, I pull up the metadata with Notepad and change the "value" to the category that I want. Then "save" it. Are you familiar with what I mean? I could hunt down the thread from about a year ago when I was guided into how to do this.

Don't have any insight or advice for you, Janine, as I still have PSE 6.... I must say I AM surprised you bit the bullet after reading all your other posts about it...I thought maybe you had used the trial version first? Although even if you had, you probably didn't load all your styles into it and anyway, too late to ask about that now, huh?

Hope you get some good answers - worst case, maybe you can talk to Adobe somehow and tell them what their consumers WANT and NEED! LOL

Janine, I know you can do it!! I can't offer advice, but someone will give you your needed light bulb moment. Hang in there!

Yikes! Gotta have those styles!!!!

I have problems with Add-o-matic in that my computer protection thinks it is a virus or something and keeps deleting it off my computer. I have to keep reinstalling it through Carbonite. I wonder if your system is doing something to "protect" you from the evils of add-o-matic. lol I don't know how to fix that.

And, I "only" have PSE7...but I have my styles in categories. Don't know if it's the same as PSE8. After they are installed, I pull up the metadata with Notepad and change the "value" to the category that I want. Then "save" it. Are you familiar with what I mean? I could hunt down the thread from about a year ago when I was guided into how to do this.

Char,

I would LOVE to know how you did this!!

Okay...found that thread. lol

here it is

Now that I know how to pull up the metadata with notepad...it's pretty quick to change it to a category.

Just read through that thread. You should have the info you need there.

:)

Oh Janine I'm so sorry to hear this. I sure hope it doesn't put a hold on your creativity!!! I also bought PSE8 and returned it. I got my styles and actions loaded with out too much trouble and I used it a couple of times, but then everytime I would go to duplicate something the program would crash. I tried everything but nothing helped. I even talk to Adobe and they couldn't get it fixed either. So, I returned it and decided to save up for CS4 instead... I was so frustrated by the whole process it wasn't even funny. So for right now, I'm using PSE6 and I'm pretty happy with it... Good luck I hope you get it taken care of soon

I got Add-O-Matic to open.... I was seriously impressed that I got a reply from their customer service about 5 minutes after my email to them. I had added it to my firewall/virus exceptions list but apparently EHD's also have firewall and/or virus protection. As soon as I removed my EHD it worked.

Now, I just have to move the styles/actions I want to install over to my laptop from the EHD! LOL Funny stuff.

I admit I wasn't going to buy PSE 8.0 but, I am going to be teaching some classes and since most, if not all, of the "students" are new to PSE I'll need to know the program they are using. I still wish I didn't have to buy it. LOL ;) I guess I just have to force myself to move forward. My students will appreciate me knowing what they are suppose to do...I can hardly justify asking them to pay for a course if I don't know their program. ;)

Forever a fan of PSE 5.0,

Janine

I knew you would get this all sorted!! :disappearing-smilie: I just want to say I hope all your students know how very lucky they are to have you as there teacher!!! I am envious. I have lost count of the times I have thought "I wish I lived closer to Janine, she would show me how to sort this" All that from one teaching at the airport!! :giggle_bear:

I just can't seem to make myself upgrade from PSE5. I don't wanna! Christy keeps dangling these huge carrots in front of me (her scripts only work in PSE6 and up), but I haven't bitten yet. I hope you get it working soon!

Well, I've been wasting my day trying to create xml files! I can get the screen to open that shows what I'm supposed to edit, but it's not editable. I can't delete anything or add anything. Ugh! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I guess I will be forever stuck strolling thru all my styles!

Looks like it was a train...........now PSE is crashing. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I had that problem when I tried to make the category files too. The Adobe message board is NOT particularly helpful. Even their main "admin"-type people don't seem to understand why I can't make it work. And they aren't particularly tactful either...

It will also crash if you remove their preset styles, so don't do that either... I still like it better than PSE4- with the styles being the main exception.

Hang in there Janine and stick with it for a while, change has always been my nemesis! From someone who only knew PSE5 and now tried PSE7 (yes, it is all because of Christy's scripts that I stuck with it!!!) with great trepidation. I haven't gone back to 5 so far, there were day!!!! BTW, we love Christy!! :wub:

Oh, Janine. It is so frustrating when the latest and greatest doesn't do what the old one did easily. Hang in there, though. I have been through something similar three times now at work & I hate learning curves, but eventually it comes together. That is very good of you to work so hard for your students. Good luck!

Looks like it was a train...........now PSE is crashing. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I had that problem when I tried to make the category files too. The Adobe message board is NOT particularly helpful. Even their main "admin"-type people don't seem to understand why I can't make it work. And they aren't particularly tactful either...

It will also crash if you remove their preset styles, so don't do that either... I still like it better than PSE4- with the styles being the main exception.

LOL I totally removed their preset styles! I hope it doesn't crash when I rename them and add a "z" to their name so they show up at the bottom of my list! Bwahaha!

I'm on v7. I lost an EHD with LOTS of digital files and just thinking about moving my catalog up a version gives me the hives. All those missing files! I'm using Add-O-Matic and it's working like a charm. I think it is funny how the Adobe programmers move things back and forth (like the Layer icons) in newer versions. Crazy. And they get paid for that! A lot of my new students start with the Free Download from Adobe so most are on version 8. I've managed to find just about everything and it hasn't stumped me yet. I guess when I get a new laptop later this year I'll upgrade. By then Janine will have all the problems worked out. :-) Hang in there Janine!!!

Archived